Petrovic: "Premier league is a crap league"

LooneyToonArmy

He's got a point, outside Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal I can't think of any team that could cope with the loss of 2-3 of their key players for any significant length of time.  Look at Liverpool, with Torres & Gerrard either injured or lacking form they looked like relegation candidates, we lost Barton & Tiote and looked abysmal, Wigan without N'Zogbia looked odds on to beat Derby's low points record.

Guest neesy111

But neesy's saying the Spanish league has a better looking way of playing football, and therefore he thinks it's a more entertaining league. Don't see how someone can argue with a point like that, even if you don't agree. Think it's turning into an argument just 'cause it's neesy tbh :lol:

He's comparing the PL and La Liga and uses Blackburn and Stoke as perfect examples of our football. The guy's a fucking retard.

If I'm retarded what does that make you then?

Spastic or something.

He's got a point, outside Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal I can't think of any team that could cope with the loss of 2-3 of their key players for any significant length of time.  Look at Liverpool, with Torres & Gerrard either injured or lacking form they looked like relegation candidates, we lost Barton & Tiote and looked abysmal, Wigan without N'Zogbia looked odds on to beat Derby's low points record.

Isn't that the same for teams all over the world though?  I can't believe many teams outside the established elite of most leagues could cope with losing 2-3 key players and still produce.

Isn't that the same for teams all over the world though?  I can't believe many teams outside the established elite of most leagues could cope with losing 2-3 key players and still produce.

Exactly, a bit of common sense.

Agreed. I do feel the Premiership is over-rated, but to say that all bar the top 3 players of all clubs in the PL wouldn't get into the bottom side of the Dutch Eredivisie, that's just extreme pathetic bitterness :lol:

No he hasn't. We've got a poor squad in comparison to a lot of the rest of the league, but take out our best 3 players - arguably this season Carroll, Barton & Tiote - and are you saying none of the others could get in a bottom of the league Dutch team? Bollocks.

Also, he's not taking about entertainment value as a lot of people in this thread are, he's talking about skill levels. Last year was the first in 5 years at least one English team had not been in the final of the "Champions" "League". Currently English teams are 1st, 1st, 1st & 2nd in their CL groups, while no other country even has 4 teams in the group stages. Yet this season is only a third of the way in and there can't be many teams in the PL who have not already beaten one of the current CL teams in the league or cup, we've beaten two of them and even West Ham have beaten Spurs. In fact teams have not just beaten these CL teams by backs to the wall defending and getting lucky on the break, but have outplayed them.

A lot of games in our league may be dull, but a lot of that is down to very good defenders nullifying very good attackers. Don't try and tell me it's because most of the players have no skill and are crap, because that's just complete bollocks.

No he hasn't. We've got a poor squad in comparison to a lot of the rest of the league, but take out our best 3 players - arguably this season Carroll, Barton & Tiote - and are you saying none of the others could get in a bottom of the league Dutch team? Bollocks.

Also, he's not taking about entertainment value as a lot of people in this thread are, he's talking about skill levels. Last year was the first in 5 years at least one English team had not been in the final of the "Champions" "League". Currently English teams are 1st, 1st, 1st & 2nd in their CL groups, while no other country even has 4 teams in the group stages. Yet this season is only a third of the way in and there can't be many teams in the PL who have not already beaten one of the current CL teams in the league or cup, we've beaten two of them and even West Ham have beaten Spurs. In fact teams have not just beaten these CL teams by backs to the wall defending and getting lucky on the break, but have outplayed them.

A lot of games in our league may be dull, but a lot of that is down to very good defenders nullifying very good attackers. Don't try and tell me it's because most of the players have no skill and are crap, because that's just complete bollocks.

I don't agree with him at all that if you take out the 2-3 top players from a team then the remainder would struggle to get into the worst team in the Eredivisie and nowhere in my original quote do I say that I agree with everything that he's said.  However, if you take the top 2-3 players out of most teams in the Premier League then they do struggle, more so than you might normally expect (you don't expect Liverpool to go from Champion's League qualifiers to relegation candidates just because their best two players are struggling).

The standard of the top teams this year has been diabolical.

This should have been the season to see a huge farewell to Liverpool for Manu, Chelsea, Arsenal & Citeh yet all 4 look just as bad and flawed as Liverpool at points during the season.

you don't expect Liverpool to go from Champion's League qualifiers to relegation candidates just because their best two players are struggling.

I know the point you're trying to make, but that's the extreme point, that's exactly what was expected :lol: Liverpool have been a 2 man team for a few years now, and everyone was saying they'd drop down the league if they lost Gerrard and Torres.

But still, teams do struggle with their 3 top players out, and I personally expect it. Not just in the Premiership, but everywhere.

This should have been the season to see a huge farewell to Liverpool for Manu, Chelsea, Arsenal & Citeh yet all 4 look just as bad and flawed as Liverpool at points during the season.

Have you not considered that it's not just the top 4 teams getting worse, but the rest of the league growing stronger?

Can honestly say I'd rather watch the Premier League week in week out than any other league.

I take little joy in watching Barca/Real thrash a team of megatards 6-0 each week and the football in the Italian league is played at a Kevin Nolan-like pace.

Would like to see more of the Bundesliga but I suspect this is more due to its unpredictability rather than its quality  :sadnod:

I agree with Petrovic to an extent, but then it's a completely subjective matter depending on the individual’s footballing ideals and excitement.

Sunderland/Everton provided a personal example of what I deem to be a decent Premier League football match: low on quality compensated by a decent tempo, goal mouth action and the fact the game was balanced on a knife edge. I don't associate the our top tier with great football, you only have to look down the division to find sides that are heavily reliant on game plans, set pieces and stifling the opposition. To an outsider looking in I can see why that may seem a bit dull. However growing up as a Newcastle fan I've learned to love the style of football in this league, it's difficult not to when it's the brand of football you grow up with.

There are much better leagues in terms of footballing quality, you only have to look at La Liga where even sides trailing at the bottom play some fairly decent stuff. You'll be hard pushed to find a side reliant parking the bus, perhaps the only vague example springing to mind is the Osasuna side of a couple of years back and even then they were much better to watch than Stoke or Blackburn.

Even so every league has problems which seem to common place. There is a dominant pack at the top of most leagues with perhaps the current exception of the Bundesliga. The bigger teams have the bigger revenue and therefore can buy/bring through the better quality it's the way of the world. Debt is another issue, again with the exception of the Bundesliga most football clubs and divisions as a whole are suffering from different degrees of debt as a consequences attendances are declining which is particularly evident in Italy where sides now have to rely on TV revenue as their most significant income.

I can't speak for other countries on this but perhaps the thing that annoys me most about the Premier League is how far it is up its own arse. You have Sky declaring it 'the best league in the world' every other week while there's media hysteria if any of our sides fail to reach a European semi-final. I still enjoy the English brand of football but at the same time its not everyone's cup of tea and it's pretty evident the standard of football isn't great. Like I say though, its completely subjective on what you deem to be a decent league and a poor league. Our top tier isn't perfect but I still find enjoyment in watching it.

Guest neesy111

Winners of Champions League in 21st Century:

2 English Wins.

3 Italian Wins.

1 Portugeuse Win.

1 German Win.

4 Spainish Wins

If the premier league by far the best league in the world so why has it only won 2 out of the last 11 champions leagues ???

Winners of Champions League in 21st Century.

2 English Wins.

3 Italian Wins.

1 Portugeuse Win.

1 German Win.

4 Spainish Wins

If the premier league by far the best league in the world so why has it only won 2 out of the last 11 champions leagues ???

Brazil are historically considered the most successful footballing nation but they've only won five out of a possible nineteen world cups so that can't be correct.

:cheesy:

Winners of Champions League in 21st Century.

2 English Wins.

3 Italian Wins.

1 Portugeuse Win.

1 German Win.

4 Spainish Wins

Brazil are historically considered the most successful footballing nation but they've only won five out of a possible nineteen world cups so that can't be correct.

:cheesy:

They are the most successful football nation when they've won the most World Cups?!

Anyway, I think most would agree that the Spanish league is best at technical ability, but in terms of enjoyment to watch and players on offer, the Premiership is probably best.

But neesy's saying the Spanish league has a better looking way of playing football, and therefore he thinks it's a more entertaining league. Don't see how someone can argue with a point like that, even if you don't agree. Think it's turning into an argument just 'cause it's neesy tbh :lol:

He's comparing the PL and La Liga and uses Blackburn and Stoke as perfect examples of our football. The guy's a fucking retard.

That's very much not what he said.  He said:

I've always said the Spainish league is better league as all of the teams try to play football at least unlike the likes of Stoke & Blackburn

He was using them as examples of anti-football, not as examples of the Prem as a whole.

Guest neesy111

That's very much not what he said.  He said:

I've always said the Spainish league is better league as all of the teams try to play football at least unlike the likes of Stoke & Blackburn

He was using them as examples of anti-football, not as examples of the Prem as a whole.

You are correct sir.

Guest Stephen927

Winners of Champions League in 21st Century:

2 English Wins.

3 Italian Wins.

1 Portugeuse Win.

1 German Win.

4 Spainish Wins

There are only 4 English teams allowed in the Champions League. There are 20 Premiership teams. I thought we were comparing leagues, not just 4 teams from each league..

Have you not considered that it's not just the top 4 teams getting worse, but the rest of the league growing stronger?

I have, and I can safely say the top teams are not as strong as last year.