yes number 2

womblemaster

There's no way Ashley is going to employ a back up to Hughton where it's not yet certain Hughton will be here long term.

Plus given the uncertainty, who would take the job?

This will rumble on until a new contract is sorted out.

Hughton says no progress has been made this week regarding filling the number 2 position. Hmmm.

It's been clear for a while now that nothing is going to happen until Hughton's own contract is sorted out one way or another. Whilst it's understandable that the club don't want to have two contracts with different periods remaining (nobody worth their salt would come in knowing they could get the boot in six months with no compo), it's a shitty situation for Hughton to be left in.

Ray Wilkins would be great. Very intelligent man, good coach, decent bloke by all accounts. (I knew someone who had some dealings with him when he was at Millwall; he wasn't predisposed to like him, but was impressed by the encounter.) But I doubt he'd want to move to the north-east, he probably needs time to get over being axed so brutally by Chelsea, his salary might be a bit out of our range, and he might have a problem deputizing for someone like Hughton who doesn't have any more managerial experience than he does.

Ray Wilkins would be great. Very intelligent man, good coach, decent bloke by all accounts. (I knew someone who had some dealings with him when he was at Millwall; he wasn't predisposed to like him, but was impressed by the encounter.) But I doubt he'd want to move to the north-east, he probably needs time to get over being axed so brutally by Chelsea, his salary might be a bit out of our range, and he might have a problem deputizing for someone like Hughton who doesn't have any more managerial experience than he does.

Has he had many coaching positions in the past?

I remember him mainly for his co commentary on Football Italia with Peter Brackley in the good old days on Channel 4 :D

Has he had many coaching positions in the past?

I remember him mainly for his co commentary on Football Italia with Peter Brackley in the good old days on Channel 4 :D

Player-manager at QPR. Managed Fulham when Keegan was director of football.

He's worked as a coach under Vialli at both Chelsea and Watford. Was Dennis Wise's assistant at Millwall and Peter Taylor's assistant with the England U-21s. And then he's been assistant to Scolari, Hiddink and Ancelotti back at Chelsea.