Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Russia could turn out alright, everyone will be pissed up on cheap vodka and there'll be passionate interest from home crowds, plus their team may do OK. England and Spain undoubtedly had more to offer though, not just in terms of visiting fans but in putting on a spectacle due to their stadia and so on and proximity to countries whose fans will happily travel in big numbers to support the event.

Qatar on the other hand looks like being even worse than South Africa, which was the worst world cup I've ever seen in terms of passion, quality of football, everything. The home nation will get spanked, tepid interest from home fans, culture/religion that forbids alcohol, hard to get to, hottest 2 months of the year in Qatar means insane heat. One of the worst places you could have hosted a world cup. It's all well and good having these air-con stadiums but where will players train in 50+c temperatures?

I am sure there will be temporary law changes and designated boozing areas for foreigners but I can see fan numbers being far lower than they would be elsewhere.

Really the aim should be to promote football by providing excellent entertainment. It should be awarded on merit. Hopefully after Qatar FIFA will no longer be able to use their excuse of 'spreading the game around the world'. The aim should be to host it in passionate countries who will put on a good show without money being the primary objective, but we all know FIFA doesn't work that way.

I think people are seriously underestimating Qatar. I stopped there on the way to India a few years ago, looks a really well developing country. Their GDP per capita is double ours - it's going to be a breathtaking World Cup.

Canny easy to retain a high GDP/capita when your population is little bigger than that of Tyneside.

That will be there strength though. Imagine a World Cup where there will be little than a few hours travel from one end of the country to the other. It's also important to consider the population growth the country has experienced (in the last 10 years the population has doubled) and will continue to experience. The population is around 1.3m, by 2022, who knows maybe 4/5m?

These 'OPEC' arab states are going to leave us in the dust in the next twenty or so years. Seriously, compare their development to ours. It's embarrassing for us, but this is the era we live in ...

It's also important to consider Asia. The likes of India and China, a third of the world's population between them will only be 4/5 flight hours away. Asia is turning into the future of football, lucrative, emerging markets will be where the money is whilst Europe is dragging itself out of the shit we put ourselves in. Football in no longer solely European, like it or lump it.

Lot of bollocks in there, like.

China and India are the future of the game? A third of the world's population and neither have even managed to qualify for a World Cup, ever. Neither country gives a toss about the sport, man.

Qatar. It's not much bigger that the Isle of Wight and has a population about the size of Tyne and Wear. Its population growth rate is 0.869% -- 130th in the world. It's migrant rate is -4.41 per 1,000 population – 198th in the world. And you think there'll be 4/5 million people there by 2022?

Give me a bag of whatever this chump has been smoking. It's obviously powerful stuff.

(Figures from the CIA World Factbook, by the way.)

You are missing the point. It's irrelevant that countries like India, China, Indonesia etc have shit football teams ... obviously you have never been to either country. Football is quickly becoming the second most popular sport in India (when I got off the plane there, they asked what team i support ffs). As for China, tens of millions of people watch Prem matches every weekend. To say these countries don't care about football is ludicrous and highly uninsightful.

Dubai's population for example, was around 600,000 in 1995, 1.2m by 2005 and estimated to be around 2.3m now ... Dubai is smaller than Qatar.

Those population growth and migrant rate figures are irrelevant, chump. This is going to be one of the largest development programmes the middle-east has seen. It's South Asia immigrants from the likes of India, Pakistan etc who are going to be building this World Cup, much like they have built Dubai.

Dont under-estimate Qatar, Dubai was built in around ten years, Qatar have got 12, theyve also got more money and expertise/knowledge base than any other middle eastern country. Anyone who knows the area/region will tell you the same, Qatar will put on a great world cup, they cant afford not to.

Russia on the other hand is a complete waste of time, its a shite hole of a place, and no amount of vodka profits is going to change it.

Fifa`s decision in not giving to Britain is a disgrace, we should boycott the tournament (Cos we never win anyway), the world cup needs us more than we need the world cup and all that. But seriously fuk em, premiership is the greatest league in the world, the FA cup is the most famous in the world, wtf do we need the world cup for?

Rant over. :facepalm:

Dont under-estimate Qatar, Dubai was built in around ten years, Qatar have got 12, theyve also got more money and expertise/knowledge base than any other middle eastern country. Anyone who knows the area/region will tell you the same, Qatar will put on a great world cup, they cant afford not to.

And some of it remains unfinished and Dubai is now bankrupt. Could easily happen to Qatar/Doha.

Might have been asked earlier in the thread but is this the first time a country has been awarded a World Cup without ever having played in the finals?

Enjoy Brazil 2014, will be the last good one for a while.

:nope: Looks very unlikely Brazil will get their shit together in terms of building the necessary infrastructure in time. Every chance FIFA could come begging to a European FA to run it at short notice, tbh.

Enjoy Brazil 2014, will be the last good one for a while.

:nope: Looks very unlikely Brazil will get their shit together in terms of building the necessary infrastructure in time. Every chance FIFA could come begging to a European FA to run it at short notice, tbh.

they say that about every Olympics and world cup these days man (except where everything is already in place) and it always make it

And some of it remains unfinished and Dubai is now bankrupt. Could easily happen to Qatar/Doha.

Really? is it? When it owes 300 times less than the UK? Dont believe the media hype, when the rest of the world is defaulting on debt why would you pay yours? Uk growth predicted at 2% , Dubai at 5%, I know where Id rather be...

You should really check the facts before listening to piers morgan.

Qatar will be a great world cup, is my point.

Really? is it? When it owes 300 times less than the UK? Dont believe the media hype, when the rest of the world is defaulting on debt why would you pay yours? Uk growth predicted at 2% , Dubai at 5%, I know where Id rather be...

My company have just made 600 people redundant, a massive reason for this is Dubai cancelling a number of multi-million-pound construction projects.

I'm not saying they're bankrupt, but they do seem to be feeling the pinch at the moment.

My company have just made 600 people redundant, a massive reason for this is Dubai cancelling a number of multi-million-pound construction projects.

I'm not saying they're bankrupt, but they do seem to be feeling the pinch at the moment.

I totally agree mate, but so is the US, UK and the rest of the world, especially in construction. Dubai is suffering, theres no denying that, its just that the facts dont lie, and the fact is Dubai has lower debts than any of the other countries and is nowhere near bankrupt....

FIFA Executive members had said England was the best bid, but the media was the reason the didn't vote. Sepp Blatter made a speech to the members beforehand reminding them of what the British press had done. SSN now.

Punishing free speech and rewarding rich people. How principled. Hope the prick doesn't live to see Brazil 2014.

FIFA Executive members had said England was the best bid, but the media was the reason the didn't vote. Sepp Blatter made a speech to the members beforehand reminding them of what the British press had done. SSN now.

Nice to know he wasn't showing any bias :rolleyes:

Guest Roger Kint

Why couldnt FIFA just manage to fuck us off without it being clearly weighted against us? Was it that hard to let 8 vote for us then give it to someone after the 2nd stage instead of a laughable 2 votes(one of which was ours) compared to the comedy bid from Holland getting 4?

The speech NUT talks of and the fact they voted for the two bids graded the highest danger doesnt surprise anyone, the patronising praise of England by Blatter before the envelope was pretty  :puke: as well mind. Everyone already knew the outcome anyway making this whole thing an even bigger farce.

Guest Roger Kint

Hope the prick doesn't live to see Brazil 2014.

Sod that i hope he gets gangraped off 10 of Ronaldo's ladyboys in downtown Rio de Janeiro

Guest Roger Kint

Has anybody thought that it might just be that nobody else then English people want it to be there?

Minus 1 other vote mind

I dont mind that if it was the reason but Anson or whatever hes called was assured of around 8 votes that morning, its not us not getting it that sticks in my throat, more how it was done..

Has anybody thought that it might just be that nobody else then English people want it to be there?

Minus 1 other vote mind

And the tropical wonderland that is Russia was a better choice?

The English bid was by far the best for everyone in every way minus the Iberian weather.