15 games in. Where will we finish?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A decent striker is an absolute must in January. Doesn't even have to be someone all that amazing or for the future, just someone who knows the ropes and will chip in. Someone to provide the goals that Ameobi and Lovenkrands should be but aren't. Like Harewood last season, really.

A decent striker is an absolute must in January. Doesn't even have to be someone all that amazing or for the future, just someone who knows the ropes and will chip in. Someone to provide the goals that Ameobi and Lovenkrands should be but aren't. Like Harewood last season, really.

If Ameobi is injured for a while, I could see Nolan being "promoted" to striker with his goalscoring record and Guthrie taking his spot in midfield. Not convinced it'll work, but with Ashley's commitment to spending in question I can't see us bringing in another striker so soon after the purchase of Best.

We said that in the Summer before we knew if Carroll would be any good in this division, but we weren't even in the market for one. Carroll's done better than anyone could have hoped for so what makes people think we'll be going for another striker in Jan?

I would bank on the more established teams having the ability to get runs of results together over us, so would be surprised if we ended up outside the bottom 3rd tbh. A few mental resuts still doesn't mean we are much more than a newly promoted team struggling to win at the moment.

We said that in the Summer before we knew if Carroll would be any good in this division, but we weren't even in the market for one. Carroll's done better than anyone could have hoped for so what makes people think we'll be going for another striker in Jan?

We tried after both Keane and Bellamy didn't we? To sign one I assume.

Agree that Carroll's surprising form might put an end to that idea though. :(

I would bank on the more established teams having the ability to get runs of results together over us, so would be surprised if we ended up outside the bottom 3rd tbh. A few mental resuts still doesn't mean we are much more than a newly promoted team struggling to win at the moment.

How come you are willing to write off our results as 'mental' but not anyone else's? If anything, the better teams starting to do the business is good for us because we already have a decent point/GD advantage over the bottom three.

You won't thank me for saying this but I think you're in a very similar position to Sunderland. Neither will have serious relegation troubles, and top 10 isn't unrealistic. I think I said 15th at the start of the season... I'm going to stick with that for the time being, but I can easily see you finishing a few places higher than that. Either way it would represent a successful season.

You won't thank me for saying this but I think you're in a very similar position to Sunderland. Neither will have serious relegation troubles, and top 10 isn't unrealistic. I think I said 15th at the start of the season... I'm going to stick with that for the time being, but I can easily see you finishing a few places higher than that. Either way it would represent a successful season.

Thanks. (seriously)

If were on par with Sunderland after our worst spell in almost 20 years against supposedly their strongest team in the same time, i'm more than happy with that.

Whilst staying up is the ultimate aim, I can't help but feel scraping survival would be a huge opportunity missed. Of this bracket we're in now, we're as good or bad as any of them IMO.

Perhaps I'm getting greedy or 'deluded' but if we could somehow finish comfortably mid-table then it might convince Ashley to free up a bit of funding*. Not sure why but I'm more convinced he'd free up funds to push us on than to dig us out of a hole (see the previous two Januarys for example)...  :-X

*Or help him to find a buyer should he wish, obviously.

If I had a velvet glove, I'd slap you with it and challenge you to a duel. ;)

I do think we'll do better than 15th though.

Thanks. (seriously)

If were on par with Sunderland after our worst spell in almost 20 years against supposedly their strongest team in the same time, i'm more than happy with that.

Very fair point.

You sum it up for me, Dave. This season is probably one of the best to have been promoted into. It's so open, there's no clubs truly performing above others past the top 5. It's all a bit over the shop. If we can't take advantage of this, it's not the end of the world, but a shame. That's why I think we can manage at least mid-table. If we can get one or two faces in in January, avoid major injuries and find a bit of home form, no reason we should be anywhere near scrapping for survival. But it's all ifs, we just don't know what'll happen this season.

You sum it up for me, Dave. This season is probably one of the best to have been promoted into. It's so open, there's no clubs truly performing above others past the top 5. It's all a bit over the shop. If we can't take advantage of this, it's not the end of the world, but a shame. That's why I think we can manage at least mid-table. If we can get one or two faces in in January, avoid major injuries and find a bit of home form, no reason we should be anywhere near scrapping for survival. But it's all ifs, we just don't know what'll happen this season.

Yep. A mid-table finish this season and I think we'd have the pulling power again to attract players to at least be where Everton & Villa have been in the next 2-3 years.

I think we're as good as your lot tbh.

Yep. A mid-table finish this season and I think we'd have the pulling power again to attract players to at least be where Everton & Villa have been in the next 2-3 years.

There's a lot of money needed to reinforce the squad, but Carroll's looking more and more like the player you build a team around. He's exactly the player that both Villa and Everton would kill for. We'd find him pretty useful too.

I just fear for you if injuries start kicking in. Us and Villa each have 11 injuries now. Can you imagine what your first team would look like in those conditions? It was scary enough when Tiote and Barton were missing.

http://i.imgur.com/bAcle.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/45EJ5.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/g3lGN.gif

1999-2000

2000-2001

2002-2003

http://i.imgur.com/1lApg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/6kDRv.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/ypaw3.gif

2003-2004

2004-2005

2005-2006

http://i.imgur.com/25HNy.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/PwvfU.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/vrEaW.gif

2006-2007

2007-2008

2008-2009

http://i.imgur.com/uBFQj.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/BC70b.gif

2009-2010

2010-2011

Shit as our home form has been, our results don't really match the path of any relegated team in recent history, and we come from a much stronger base than most newly promoted teams. I'll do one for newly promoted sides, although they already feature prominently above because most yo-yo. After 15 games I think your fate is pretty much sealed in regards to top half/bottom half. Still going with 9th-11th.

There's a lot of money needed to reinforce the squad, but Carroll's looking more and more like the player you build a team around. He's exactly the player that both Villa and Everton would kill for. We'd find him pretty useful too.

I just fear for you if injuries start kicking in. Us and Villa each have 11 injuries now. Can you imagine what your first team would look like in those conditions? It was scary enough when Tiote and Barton were missing.

It's not like its 11 first teamers for Spurs though.  Woodgate and King permanently injured and shouldn't be relied upon by anyone; dos Santos, Keane, Bentley, O'Hara, and even Jenas to an extent, aren't really first teamers.

Through a combination of injury and suspension we've recently had out: Ben Arfa, Nolan, Tiote, Williamson, Coloccini, Barton, Harper and you may as well include Gosling and Ryan Taylor if you can include the likes of Woodgate.

Interesting that pretty much every promoted team has a good little run at the beginning of the season. We've got the craziest path of any, up and down like crazy. Hopefully a sign that we won't follow the path of so many before us :D