Alan Pardew

JH

Sorry, was referring to the teams we posted, but aye, obviously not an upgrade on AC (but then, I'd already pointed that out in my previous post).

An upgrade on what we had at the end of last season though which is what you challenged... still yes.

At least I had the decency to use the players we'd had available in our last fixture, and then included the list of injured / unavailable players and mentioned the fact that they'd displace a couple of the team that started that match - you've chosen a team that was down to the bare bones on the very last day of the season and decided to misrepresent that as the top choice first team.

The simple facts are that the squad is still bereft of proven quality once you get past the first 11, backed up with a reserve squad of mostly cheap misfits and development players.

The simple facts are that I feel more positive about the squad we have this season than the one at the end of last season, and you don't. Lets leave it at that. :thup:

/obviously, as always, we all wish it could be better.

He's right. HBA's still knacked, and it's a pisser that Vukic and Abeid are out for a couple of weeks, and yes yes yes we still need a fkn number 9, but just looking at the bench we have mustered this season compared to where we finished last season makes me a good deal happier about the squad to be honest.

??? Really? Here's the team from the last match.

Krul, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Cabaye, Tiote, Obertan, Best, Lovenkrands, Gutierrez

Soderberg, Ba, Vuckic, Smith, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Ferguson

Sorry, but that bench doesn't look too strong to me as we've got 4 development players on there that have yet to prove themselves up to the level required (one of which hasn't had a 1st team game for that matter), a player coming back from a serious injury, a striker who is looking out of shape and Alan Smith, who actually got time on the field.

Of course that team would have had Ben Arfa, Santon, Shoala, Williamson and Harper in if they were fit / available, but then Ben Arfa and Santon would be in the starting 11 in place of Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor.

The transfer business over the summer did nothing to strengthen the squad, and it is still uncertain whether the players are adequate replacements for those leaving, never mind an improvment.

Harper's fit though, just out of favour.

Just back in training today after injury according to Chron.

"The criticism that's going to come from not getting a striker in has some validity to it because seven months (since the club sold Andy Carroll to Liverpool) is a long time.

"But I can only say that from my point of view, we put the targets in front of the board and then it comes down to financial decisions, and that financial decision didn't take place.

"We bid for three or four players to fill one position and none of them came to fruition, and that's the disappointment that we have to face."

Can't see him saying anything wrong at all. Good answers.  Well, except the "three or four". Don't know what that's supposed to mean. My two cents is that Ruiz is the one he's not too sure of himself.

Now that the dust is settled, I'm not particularly interested in what Pardew has to say re the transfer failings. It's gone now, let's just focus on getting points on the board.

We've a few positives with the HBA news and our new signings-especially Ba and Marveaux- will be that bit sharper for the international break. I've whined about it, but now I'm looking forward to some games, rather than the endless transfer whispers.

Pardew will be delving back into the market in January for attacking talent. When pressed on that subject, he said: "Absolutely. Yes, absolutely".

Fantastic news.

Hmmm, I'll believe it when we sign someone in January.

Pardew will be delving back into the market in January for attacking talent. When pressed on that subject, he said: "Absolutely. Yes, absolutely".

Fantastic news.

Like everyone else.

Fantastic news.

:thup:

Surely it's a bit pointless even discussing January already.

/besides, I bet he's talking about a replacement for Jonas and HBA there, not a striker. :troll:

Now that the dust is settled, I'm not particularly interested in what Pardew has to say re the transfer failings. It's gone now, let's just focus on getting points on the board.

We've a few positives with the HBA news and our new signings-especially Ba and Marveaux- will be that bit sharper for the international break. I've whined about it, but now I'm looking forward to some games, rather than the endless transfer whispers.

Hear hear.

Guest VaVaVoom

Hear hear.

Hear hear hear.

I think Pardew should be involved in the negotiation process - it's a mistake to leave the manager out. he is the one who has to sell the club and project to the player, and is more likely to have a better idea of how he wants his budget divvied up.

I think Pardew should be involved in the negotiation process - it's a mistake to leave the manager out. he is the one who has to sell the club and project to the player, and is more likely to have a better idea of how he wants his budget divvied up.

It's clear that he is, just not party to the financial side of it which is fair enough.

Marvaux, HBA and Cabaye off the top of my head have all commented how he helped sell the club to them (and I'm pretty sure there were others as well).

Same here. I really can't be bothered even thinking about signings in January after the failure to get the striker we needed this summer. I just hope Ba and Best step up to the mark and we can just get on with enjoying what was promising to be a very interesting season.

He was in Switzerland doing the scouting. No doubt keeping an eye on Derdyiok and probably now Shaqiri.

Would welcome both with open arms. Xhaka is a canny player too, but we're stacked with attacking midfielders. Arsenal should probably sign him.

Guest VaVaVoom

It's clear that he is, just not party to the financial side of it which is fair enough.

Marvaux, HBA and Cabaye off the top of my head have all commented how he helped sell the club to them (and I'm pretty sure there were others as well).

Exactly.

What manager plays a part in financial discussions between clubs? Madness.

He was in Switzerland doing the scouting. No doubt keeping an eye on Derdyiok and probably now Shaqiri.

Derdiyok is a possibility but i dont think he'd come here unless it looked likely we were qualifying for europe.

Shaqiri will go to a top 4 club. No chance of us getting him. The lads a bit special.

Pre-QPR quotes:

Pardew - don't blame

me for striker shortage

Comments from the manager to reporters on Thursday:

"The criticism that's going to come from not getting a striker in has some validity to it because seven months is a long time.

"But I can only say that from my point of view, we put the targets in front of the board and then it comes down to financial decisions, and that financial decision didn't take place.

"We bid for three or four players to fill one position and none of them came to fruition, and that's the disappointment that we have to face.

"I feel within the squad, there's a real camaraderie in there, a really good, strong spirit. Defensively, we have shown we are a tight unit and it's just about getting the goals now.

"It's going to be important that people step up to the plate and come out of the pack and score goals and contribute to goals with assists, and there's certainly enough talent in that squad to do that.

"Joey (Barton) is a controlled animal now on the football pitch. He's an aggressive player, but he has brought that under control.

"He's a very, very good player and somebody we need to make sure doesn't influence the game as much as he did for us.

"He hasn't got anything to prove to me or the staff here because the players all know how good he is. Obviously, there was a falling-out with the board that wasn't going to be rectified, so Joey has moved on.

"He's got himself a contract that he has earned through not just his ability, but the way he has conducted himself in the last couple of years especially, and we wish him well."

Link:    .com

Pre-QPR quotes:

Pardew - don't blame

me for striker shortage

Comments from the manager to reporters on Thursday:

"The criticism that's going to come from not getting a striker in has some validity to it because seven months is a long time.

"We bid for three or four players to fill one position and none of them came to fruition, and that's the disappointment that we have to face.

"I feel within the squad, there's a real camaraderie in there, a really good, strong spirit. Defensively, we have shown we are a tight unit and it's just about getting the goals now.

"It's going to be important that people step up to the plate and come out of the pack and score goals and contribute to goals with assists, and there's certainly enough talent in that squad to do that.

"Joey (Barton) is a controlled animal now on the football pitch. He's an aggressive player, but he has brought that under control.

"He's a very, very good player and somebody we need to make sure doesn't influence the game as much as he did for us.

"He hasn't got anything to prove to me or the staff here because the players all know how good he is. Obviously, there was a falling-out with the board that wasn't going to be rectified, so Joey has moved on.

"He's got himself a contract that he has earned through not just his ability, but the way he has conducted himself in the last couple of years especially, and we wish him well."

Link:     .com

He's hurting. Channel that frustration on ripping QPR a new one please. :thup:

Guest hobshobs

Fantastic news.

Like everyone else.

Aye, if it's anything like the Shola joke this summer, our lot will be a two year contract extension for Lovenkrands.