Alan Pardew

JH

Guest Dontooner

I genuinely don't think there's anyone out there that would work under Ashley, and be better than Pardew.

Hard to base things on assumptions.

Well not like agents have been offering any managers to you to keep you in the know or the club is telling you who they are tapping up.

Just like players, Managers are also about timing and opportunities , good ones are only usually out of work for short periods, probably hotter commodities than players in general.

Again, I'd look to replace him in the summer. I don't have any names but someone with tactical nous and footballing philosophies would help for me, the most talented side we've had since Sir Bobby's days, massively, especially from a performance point of view.

I've heard it all now like, that's insane. Replace Pardew in the summer, after possibly our best finish in recent memory? And replace him with who exactly? Fabio Capello's available I suppose.

If we can get someone with a good proven record and has led teams into the top 4 consistently, why not?

Always found it strange why at most clubs, the players are paid much more than the manager. Since the brain of the team,fitness and moral starts from the manager doesnt it make more sense to pay your CEO? Always found this quite baffling in football.

Dont quote me for sacking Pardew please, i just think if there is some chance of someone better that is willing coach, leave transfers to the management and most importantly could collaborate with team. Btw personally i Think Pardew has earned himself another season to prove himself.

Pardew has earned another season to prove himself? Am I actually reading that correctly?  You make it sound like we are battling away in 12th position.  We are ONE POINT off fourth place.  What did you expect?  A title challenge?

Guest neesy111

I genuinely don't think there's anyone out there that would work under Ashley, and be better than Pardew.

similar was said about Hughton

Don't think there are any other managers that owe Ashley quite a few $$$ in betting debts mind.

I remember Enrique against Blackburn, he must have put in 5 world class crosses in the first half but none of our Strikers managed to get to them (except 1 I think).

Shame he didnt do 5 shite crosses that fell on the heads/feet of our strikers, we might not have drawn 0-0 that day then.

You do realise Peter Lovenkrands was up top that day, don't you?

Guest Roger Kint

I remember Enrique against Blackburn, he must have put in 5 world class crosses in the first half but none of our Strikers managed to get to them (except 1 I think).

Shame he didnt do 5 shite crosses that fell on the heads/feet of our strikers, we might not have drawn 0-0 that day then.

You do realise Peter Lovenkrands was up top that day, don't you?

Yeah but 5 chances falling on top of him is a chance one will accidentally go in :lol:

Guest Dontooner

Again, I'd look to replace him in the summer. I don't have any names but someone with tactical nous and footballing philosophies would help for me, the most talented side we've had since Sir Bobby's days, massively, especially from a performance point of view.

I've heard it all now like, that's insane. Replace Pardew in the summer, after possibly our best finish in recent memory? And replace him with who exactly? Fabio Capello's available I suppose.

If we can get someone with a good proven record and has led teams into the top 4 consistently, why not?

Always found it strange why at most clubs, the players are paid much more than the manager. Since the brain of the team,fitness and moral starts from the manager doesnt it make more sense to pay your CEO? Always found this quite baffling in football.

Dont quote me for sacking Pardew please, i just think if there is some chance of someone better that is willing coach, leave transfers to the management and most importantly could collaborate with team. Btw personally i Think Pardew has earned himself another season to prove himself.

Pardew has earned another season to prove himself? Am I actually reading that correctly?  You make it sound like we are battling away in 12th position.  We are ONE POINT off fourth place.  What did you expect?  A title challenge?

Do you ever watch football? All this nonsense of being couple of points from 4th but there is still 1/3 of the season to go. What if we slide and end 12th or something? Funny how some could assume we can keep top 7 while not looking at the performances on the pitch. Great to look at numbers and Stats but isnt how we fundamentally get those numbers and stats more of reality?

Fwiw I think there'd be countless managers who COULD do a better job than Pardew who'd be willing to do the job mind, especially if we continue to bring in players like Ba, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Santon, Cisse etc

Countless. Aye, right. :lol:

did you miss the word in capitals?

Do you ever watch football? All this nonsense of being couple of points from 4th but there is still 1/3 of the season to go. What if we slide and end 12th or something? Funny how some could assume we can keep top 7 while not looking at the performances on the pitch. Great to look at numbers and Stats but isnt how we fundamentally get those numbers and stats more of reality?

Damn - you've got me there.  I don't watch football.  Not sure why I signed up to this forum actually - must have been an accident.

All you can judge Pardew on so far is what he has achieved to date.  To date, he has done an exceptional job.  At this point in the season, for people to even suggest that he should merely be allowed to have another season to prove himself is ridiculous.

Guest Howaythetoon

I call it improvement. Since Ashley took over the manager at Newcastle or rather his role is now secondary to the scouting and recruitment/player trading system at the club so as such, we can afford to ditch the manager in favour of a better one even if that manager was doing quite well, ala Chris Hughton.

I do not believe changing Pardew will destabilise the club just as replacing Hughton didn't and that's because the manager of NUFC these days is simply the coach, hired to train and pick the players to go out and win games.

Me, I'd liken replacing Pardew for better, to replacing Danny Simpson with a better right-back.

I believe we can do better than Pardew long-term and that we must get in better in order to keep improving. Its pretty simple.

I'm actually fully behind the system we now have in place regarding scouting, recruitment and player trading. Obviously the manager has to decide or needs a say in which position he wants strengthened and what kind of assets a player must possess outside of the club's evaluation criteria such as age, resale value, etc. but in general the manager of NUFC is here to train, motivate and pick the team.

And in that respect Pardew is struggling tactically and with his team selections. He's preparing the side well enough and he is motivating several lesser players simply by selecting them regularly, i.e. Ryan Taylor, but his considerable flaws (tactically, game plans, systems, player selection etc.) are being masked by Ba scoring so many goals, Krul keeping clean sheets, Colo being well, Colo, a colossus, and the team in general having such a good team spirit. Something I think has developed naturally from within rather than something Pardew has helped instill. It was there before him lets not forget.

I'm probably looking at things in a cold calculated and analytical way but that's how I view things these days. Can we do better than Pardew? I believe so. I believe several managers already in the Premier League could do as well and even better given the side we have. Do we need to a better tactican? Yes, without doubt. Most of the games we have lost we have done so tactically.

In short, aye Pardew is doing a good job, and thanks a lot Alan, but I can see lots of room for improvement and I don't think he is capable. I think the team and squad will outgrow him if you like to the point where he will start looking like the odd man out as we are seeing now.

On a much lesser scale of course and in a different way, Pardew is to us what Ranieri was to Chelsea. We need a Mourinho to kick on as did Chelsea to win honours. They got rid of a capable man in the Italian for Mourinho and we must do likewise if we are to keep progressing.

By the way, I'm not for one moment saying we need Mourinho himself. We need to make the kind of change Chelsea did when they ditched Ranieri, i.e. they improved their manager and as such they themselves improved.

I call it improvement. Since Ashley took over the manager at Newcastle or rather his role is now secondary to the scouting and recruitment/player trading system at the club so as such, we can afford to ditch the manager in favour of a better one even if that manager was doing quite well, ala Chris Hughton.

I do not believe changing Pardew will destabilise the club just as replacing Hughton didn't and that's because the manager of NUFC these days is simply the coach, hired to train and pick the players to go out and win games.

Me, I'd liken replacing Pardew for better, to replacing Danny Simpson with a better right-back.

I believe we can do better than Pardew long-term and that we must get in better in order to keep improving. Its pretty simple.

I'm actually fully behind the system we now have in place regarding scouting, recruitment and player trading. Obviously the manager has to decide or needs a say in which position he wants strengthened and what kind of assets a player must possess outside of the club's evaluation criteria such as age, resale value, etc. but in general the manager of NUFC is here to train, motivate and pick the team.

And in that respect Pardew is struggling tactically and with his team selections. He's preparing the side well enough and he is motivating several lesser players simply by selecting them regularly, i.e. Ryan Taylor, but his considerable flaws (tactically, game plans, systems, player selection etc.) are being masked by Ba scoring so many goals, Krul keeping clean sheets, Colo being well, Colo, a colossus, and the team in general having such a good team spirit. Something I think has developed naturally from within rather than something Pardew has helped instill. It was there before him lets not forget.

I'm probably looking at things in a cold calculated and analytical way but that's how I view things these days. Can we do better than Pardew? I believe so. I believe several managers already in the Premier League could do as well and even better given the side we have. Do we need to a better tactican? Yes, without doubt. Most of the games we have lost we have done so tactically.

In short, aye Pardew is doing a good job, and thanks a lot Alan, but I can see lots of room for improvement and I don't think he is capable. I think the team and squad will outgrow him if you like to the point where he will start looking like the odd man out as we are seeing now.

On a much lesser scale of course and in a different way, Pardew is to us what Ranieri was to Chelsea. We need a Mourinho to kick on as did Chelsea to win honours. They got rid of a capable man in the Italian for Mourinho and we must do likewise if we are to keep progressing.

By the way, I'm not for one moment saying we need Mourinho himself. We need to make the kind of change Chelsea did when they ditched Ranieri, i.e. they improved their manager and as such they themselves improved.

It's the lack of genuine strength in depth that is holding us back. Go past the obvious first 15 or 16 and its Championship all the way. I do think Pardew can look a one trick pony - Fulham and Spurs two games that simply got away from him. Brighton was abysmal. Similar results saw Hughton hit the high Road.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think our depth of squad isn't too bad and relative to pretty much everyone else outside of perhaps Chelsea, Spurs and Man City. Arsenal have no strikers outside of Van Persie, Liverpool have no goalscorers for example, each club has its own depth issues but in general we are not as bad as most. I genuinley believe our biggest limitations especially long-term, lie in that dugout.

Thats a myopic view I must say, comparisons with SBR's first and second seasons. The bit in bold especially, laughable. Replacing a manager equivalent to replacing a fullback? That must be the most ridiculous thing I've read on a footy forum. You're joking right?

SBR took over a squad that was leftover from challenging for the title 2 yrs back, and had plenty of quality in Given, Shearer, Speed, Solano, Dyer, Warren Barton, Robert Lee, Howey, Domi, etc.

Pardew took over a squad that were recent relegated then promoted, when expectations were simply to beat the drop. Key players were Harper, Enrique, Coloccini, Barton, Nolan, Tiote, Carroll, Best, etc who cant really compare to the team in 1999/2000, barring maybe Enrique, Tiote and Coloccini. However despite this Pardew managed to bring the team within a whisker of 9th spot last season, and in his 2nd season is on course to better SBR's 11th place finish.  I also remember plenty of dour performances from 1999-2001 that issnt far off what we've seen this season.

I'm not suggesting in any way that Pardew is a better manager than SBR but to write him off as not good enough is simply ridiculous, considering what he has achieved so far despite financial constraints and limitations. Yes some of his selections and tactics may have been baffling (Obertan/Ben Arfa, Raylor, Perch) but you cant help but feel he's trying to do the best he can and has certainly performed above expectations. Pardew's signings may have been hit and miss but to say that he shouldnt be credited for Cabaye, Ba, Cisse then blame him for duds like Obertan is laughable. Who is to say that we arent a Robert/Bellamy type signing away from challenging for the top 4? I certainly think that we arent that far off and as long as results are coming i'm certainly willing to give Pardew the chance to prove himself.

Also, it wasnt like SBR had some ingenious tactical brain. What he succeeded in was to mold a group of good players into a team and made them play football the right way. That much Pardew has plenty to learn.

Guest Karamoja Bell

Results-wise, Im not sure we could have done much better. 6th is fucking mint.

But then again, the season is not over yet. 42 points isnt quite enough for CL last time I checked. We could still go on a massive slide, so you have to ask at what point is it legitimate to critizise pardew seeing as with us sitting at 6th, it most definately doesnt seem so. 9th? 10th? 11th? At what point can we turn our focus to the actual fotball being played and hold our hands up and say: "Ok the fotball we play is actually quite bad" ?

The league has been pretty bad this season, and tbh there has been so many games where the other team squandered chance after chance after chance, even the ones at 10 yards with only the goalie left. Will that happen on a regular basis, or will they start putting them away?

If we learn how to play proper posession fotball, take games at the scruff of the neck and proper dominate versus the lower teams, that will - in the long run - pay off I think. If you play decent fotball you are bound to grind out results sooner or later...

I hope pards plans to develop us into a free-flowing passing side eventually. For the time being Im happy with being up there though.

Who are these managers that we could realistically attract who could do a better job than Pards?  Would be nice to have the odd name...

Without naming any, I think we are in a far better position than a year or two ago as far as that is concerned.

Who are these managers that we could realistically attract who could do a better job than Pards?  Would be nice to have the odd name...

Without naming any, I think we are in a far better position than a year or two ago as far as that is concerned.

I would just like someone who thinks we can do better than Pards to actually name someone.  No-one seems to want to do it.  Oddly enough.

Guest Dontooner

I would just like someone who thinks we can do better than Pards to actually name someone.  No-one seems to want to do it.  Oddly enough.

A waste of time, considering how narrow minded you are.

A waste of time, considering how narrow minded you are.

What an inventive way to avoid naming someone.

There are managers out there that would do a better job but how many of them would be willing to work in the structure we have and for quite low wages as well.