Alan Pardew

JH

The usual wisdom is to make yourself hard to beat first, and move on from there.

Indeed, I think we're stuck at this stage for various reasons (mostly because it's got us so many points!) but as I've said before I'll wait and see what sort of philosophy we have next season before fully making my mind up on Pardew.

Well said.

The expectations of a club who two years ago where in the Championship, is ever so slightly ludicrous.

Expectations change. If all we are to base them on is the fact that we were in the second tier two years ago then losing every remaining game this season couldn't be seen as a failure because we've already got enough points to stay up.

Very true - but I can't think of many place where expectations go from hoping/wanting to stay up to solidfying a place in the top 6 with a view to having a crack at the top 4 within 2 seasons.  That is ludicrous.

We did it before. :bluestar:

In all seriousness, though we deserved to be relegated that season it was through gross mismanagement on and off the pitch rather than the lack of quality in the team. We should never have been down there, it was a joke. We're not a yo-yo club like most who go down, that's why we were able to keep hold of many of our good players and come straight back up. That's not to say our recent progression is not impressive, but at worst we are a lower to mid-table level club barring serious mistakes.

As I keep banging on about, a few people criticising Pardew's style of play etc is nothing more than healthy discussion IMO. We can always improve. The even fewer calling for his position to be called into question can be easily ignored as mental rambling.

As much as we criticize the media for pandering to the "rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0" stereotype about Newcastle fans, we are certainly very, very demanding as a group of supporters.

Can see why so many managers have failed to adjust to life here over the years, and I'd really rather not get rid of the one guy who has.

The managers who have failed here have done so because they weren't up to the job, that has nothing to do with the fans who have stuck by the club through 43 trophyless seasons.

As much as we criticize the media for pandering to the "rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0" stereotype about Newcastle fans, we are certainly very, very demanding as a group of supporters.

Can see why so many managers have failed to adjust to life here over the years, and I'd really rather not get rid of the one guy who has.

The managers who have failed here have done so because they weren't up to the job, that has nothing to do with the fans who have stuck by the club through 43 trophyless seasons.

Obviously they failed because they weren't "up to the job," just like you or I wouldn't be "up to the job" if we failed miserably at ours.

Don't think it's too much of a stretch to acknowledge that this job is significantly more difficult than most jobs in football though, and the fans expectations, justly or unjustly, is a massive part of that.

Guest neesy111

Obviously they failed because they weren't "up to the job," just like you or I wouldn't be "up to the job" if we failed miserably at ours.

Don't think it's too much of a stretch to acknowledge that this job is significantly more difficult than most jobs in football though, and the fans expectations, justly or unjustly, is a massive part of that.

It isn't significantly more difficult.  The fact is most of the managers chosen were the wrong choice in the 1st place.

Any club that pulls in big crowds will have demands because bigger crowds = more money which should then get better players etc.  It's the same for that around most of the world.

Replacing Pardew. :lol:

If we're still playing football like this in a couple of years then yes, by all means. But give the man a chance to build his own squad and then see what style of football we're playing.

The midfield and attack of our strongest eleven when he took over was probably

Barton  Nolan  Tiote  Jonas

Carroll  Shola

Can you honestly see that lot playing any sort of slick pass and move football? We were built to be a long ball team when he took over, you can't change that overnight, especially not if you want to have the kind of results we've managed this season.

Let's give him some real time before we decide exactly what 'Alan Pardew Football' is, eh?

Guest Howaythetoon

He has his own squad and has the considerable talents of Ba, Cisse, Jonas, Guthrie, cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Santon, Colo, Krul et al yet our football in the main is turgid shit, the kind of football the likes of Big Sam and Souness served up. If we were 10th this season playing the way we are, there would be more voices like mine saying similar things. We know what 'Alan Pardew Football' is by the way, its shit. He's been here over a year and the football hasn't changed, yet the standard of our players has, massively so. That's why we are 6th. Those players need tactical nouse, braver team selections and the freedom to do their thing if they want to remain in that position or improve further though, if not, this team will slide backwards. Because we cannot carry on performing the way we are or go to places like White Hart Lane showing complete tactical naievty or cowardice in team selection when playing the likes of QPR at SJP.

Guest Howaythetoon

Oh and we were not a long ball team when he took over. If anything we become that side when Carroll was sold and Best was brought in up front. We were by no means a footballing side under Hughton but we did play football and we mixed it up. We played very good football for example when we beat Villa by 6 and the mackems 5-1. We also dominated games and sides. We went to the Emirates and played controlled football and we won. We also played very good football at times in the Championship.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think I'll leave this thread alone for a while, HTT is really starting to grate on me with his anti-Pardew agenda

Guest Howaythetoon

I think I'll leave this thread alone for a while, HTT is really starting to grate on me with his anti-Pardew agenda

Fuck me are people not allowed to have an opinion? The only agenda I have is to see my club keep improving and I just so happen to believe the current manager will have to be replaced by better at some point for that to happen, OK!

Oh and we were not a long ball team when he took over. If anything we become that side when Carroll was sold and Best was brought in up front. We were by no means a footballing side under Hughton but we did play football and we mixed it up. We played very good football for example when we beat Villa by 6 and the mackems 5-1. We also dominated games and sides. We went to the Emirates and played controlled football and we won. We also played very good football at times in the Championship.

Agree with this. Your other post is daft though.

Replacing Pardew. :lol:

If we're still playing football like this in a couple of years then yes, by all means. But give the man a chance to build his own squad and then see what style of football we're playing.

The midfield and attack of our strongest eleven when he took over was probably

Barton  Nolan  Tiote  Jonas

Carroll  Shola

Can you honestly see that lot playing any sort of slick pass and move football? We were built to be a long ball team when he took over, you can't change that overnight, especially not if you want to have the kind of results we've managed this season.

Let's give him some real time before we decide exactly what 'Alan Pardew Football' is, eh?

Talk of replacing Pardew does sound daft on the face of it when we are having such a good season, but if I said I didn't have doubts I'd be lying. I don't think he's by instinct a manager who likes playing the passing game. Sure he has given it a go, and he'd probably like to implement that sort of game, but whether he knows how to coach it is another matter.

So before anyone starts hopping up and down in fury, I agree he deserves the time to show what he can do, because for all I'm not impressed with the football, he has a lot of other qualities which I like. Do I think another manager could use the same resources better? Yes, over time I think a manager with a bit more nous will be needed, because Pardew's made some horrendous gaffes during what has been an otherwise good season. The Liverpool game will be a key one for me, because our tactics and general play was shambolic when we went to Anfield. If we want to finish in the top 6 we have to compete against our direct competitors not bend the knee and lube our arseholes.

I agree... If someone wants to replace a manager/player I'm a big believer in coming up with an alternative manager/player... I think AP is doing a great job in what has been difficult off-field circumstances...

I agree... If someone wants to replace a manager/player I'm a big believer in coming up with an alternative manager/player... I think AP is doing a great job in what has been difficult off-field circumstances...

Any difficult off field circumstances were self-inflicted.  He was the one who was sitting at home since before the Mackem game waiting for Hughton to be sacked so that he could walk into his job.  Pardew has had the full backing of his boss and the club owner, I fail to see what these so called difficult circumstances are, at least any that weren’t of his own making.

Seconded.  It's like repeatedly banging your head against a brick wall.  A bit painful and ultimately futile.

Your'e entitled to your belief, but if someone has a different view why shouldn't they be allowed to express it? It's not like HTT hasn't given fairly comprehensive reasoning why he isn't a Pardew fan. Even if he is wrong (in some people's opinion) what's the harm in expressing his views? Isn't that what these forums are about?

I'm just sick of being second best...

Your following the wrong team :) I feel your pain though. Not sure ill ever witness our team win something in my life time.

I was thinking this the other day.  Call me sentimental, but I really really want to see us win something with my dad and my brother.  I want to share the joy of actually winning a trophy with the man responsible for bringing so much pain and torture into my life..!

He has his own squad and has the considerable talents of Ba, Cisse, Jonas, Guthrie, cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Santon, Colo, Krul et al yet our football in the main is turgid shit, the kind of football the likes of Big Sam and Souness served up. If we were 10th this season playing the way we are, there would be more voices like mine saying similar things. We know what 'Alan Pardew Football' is by the way, its shit. He's been here over a year and the football hasn't changed, yet the standard of our players has, massively so. That's why we are 6th. Those players need tactical nouse, braver team selections and the freedom to do their thing if they want to remain in that position or improve further though, if not, this team will slide backwards. Because we cannot carry on performing the way we are or go to places like White Hart Lane showing complete tactical naievty or cowardice in team selection when playing the likes of QPR at SJP.

Of course there'd be more people expressing similar concerns if we were 10th. But we're not, we're significantly better off. Yes, we've been lucky at times this year and have probably overachieved a little, but you can't tell me we don't deserve to be in the top seven. Most people would consider that a massive success, look at the first few pages of the 'Battle for 7th' thread.

Yes we have some good players at our disposal but so do most teams in the Premiership, before we signed Cisse we had exactly one striker who was Premiership standard, namely Ba. To say we're 6th due to the quality of our players alone is silly, we have some quality yes but we've also been starting rubbish/not good enough players like Williamson, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Obertan, Shola and Best a lot this year, and our squad depth is desperate.

The football is nowhere near as long ball orientated as we were under Allardyce btw, and it doesn't even compare to how disorganized we were under Souness. I agree that he needs to change some things, the Ben Arfa issue is very worrying for example. But to give him no credit for what we've done this year, which seems to be your viewpoint, is absurd.

We were very up and down under Hughton. Some good performances yes but we also had some clueless performances. Remember Blackpool and Stoke at home? Awful stuff, the latter in particular was a game we lost due to Hughton being completely tactically naive and handing the game to our opponents. There was some nice bits of football thrown in there too, sure, but no more so than we do now IMO, you make it sound like we're completely route one under Pardew which is nonsense.

We won at Arsenal due to the most route one goal of all time, great defending and our goalposts btw.

Anyway, all this aside what would you propose doing? Send Pardew on his way and find someone else? Then if after a year we aren't getting good results and playing quality football we send that guy packing too? No manager would go near us. After the last few years under Ashley I doubt we're an attractive proposition as it is. Firing a manager who has massively overachieved because his football isn't pretty enough would be about the worst thing we could do right now.

Of course there'd be more people expressing similar concerns if we were 10th. But we're not, we're significantly better off. Yes, we've been lucky at times this year and have probably overachieved a little, but you can't tell me we don't deserve to be in the top seven. Most people would consider that a massive success, look at the first few pages of the 'Battle for 7th' thread.

Yes we have some good players at our disposal but so do most teams in the Premiership, before we signed Cisse we had exactly one striker who was Premiership standard, namely Ba. To say we're 6th due to the quality of our players alone is silly, we have some quality yes but we've also been starting rubbish/not good enough players like Williamson, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Obertan, Shola and Best a lot this year, and our squad depth is desperate.

The football is nowhere near as long ball orientated as we were under Allardyce btw, and it doesn't even compare to how disorganized we were under Souness. I agree that he needs to change some things, the Ben Arfa issue is very worrying for example. But to give him no credit for what we've done this year, which seems to be your viewpoint, is absurd.

We were very up and down under Hughton. Some good performances yes but we also had some clueless performances. Remember Blackpool and Stoke at home? Awful stuff, the latter in particular was a game we lost due to Hughton being completely tactically naive and handing the game to our opponents. There was some nice bits of football thrown in there too, sure, but no more so than we do now IMO, you make it sound like we're completely route one under Pardew which is nonsense.

We won at Arsenal due to the most route one goal of all time, great defending and our goalposts btw.

Anyway, all this aside what would you propose doing? Send Pardew on his way and find someone else? Then if after a year we aren't getting good results and playing quality football we send that guy packing too? No manager would go near us. After the last few years under Ashley I doubt we're an attractive proposition as it is. Firing a manager who has massively overachieved because his football isn't pretty enough would be about the worst thing we could do right now.

:thup: