Alan Pardew

JH

We saw the best and the worst of him in equal measure today.

Thankfully Obertan didn't make the starting line up but the first twenty minutes of the game was a perfect example of us not taking the initiative by putting our best team out and attacking a massively inferior team.

That said, the Ben Arfa substitution saw a change of formation (fuck me, we had a plan B!) and Jonas in that central role in particular was very effective, pretty sure he played the ball to Best for the goal?

It was just so odd that HBA wasn't deemed worthy of a starting place bit it was ok to bring him on after 20 mins?

Anyway, we've been reasonably good at grinding out those sort of wins this season which reflects well on Pardew. If we can add another proper full back and a striker to complement Ba we should be able to add more creativity to our defensive effort and really push on, if not this season then next.

He's got to be praised for having us in 6th, it's a fantastic effort so far.

We saw the best and the worst of him in equal measure today.

Thankfully Obertan didn't make the starting line up but the first twenty minutes of the game was a perfect example of us not taking the initiative by putting our best team out and attacking a massively inferior team.

That said, the Ben Arfa substitution saw a change of formation (f*** me, we had a plan B!) and Jonas in that central role in particular was very effective, pretty sure he played the ball to Best for the goal?

It was just so odd that HBA wasn't deemed worthy of a starting place bit it was ok to bring him on after 20 mins?

Anyway, we've been reasonably good at grinding out those sort if wins this season which reflects well on Pardew. If we can add another proper full back and a striker to complement Ba we should be able to add more creativity to our defensive effort and really push on, if not this season then next.

He's got to be praised for having us in 6th, it's a fantastic effort so far.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

6th place with a squad laced with bargain basement Championship rubbish and he gets criticised for not playing pretty enough football. Pathetic.

Except it isn't a squad laced with bargain basement Championship rubbish as you claim and even if it were, there is still no excuse for the long-ball game, poor tactics and mismatched team selections. You just have to look at Swansea to see that playing good football can reap dividends and we actually have good quality footballers to play good quality football. Against Man Utd wehere the game is going to be fast and quite frenetic you can put two big men up top, sacrifice the flair player and pump it long more often, but against QPR, at home, given our form and the chomping of the bit of say Ben Arfa? Its cowardly and sums Pardew up. He's a percentages man in the same way Allardyce was, only he frills it up or tries to with his bolder words and bolder statements. The way he has mismanaged Ben Arfa has been shocking.

Take today for example, just by not selecting him from the start he put a near 50,000 strong crowd on a downer before a ball had been kicked, a crowd that the vast majority would have witsnessed said player scoring a wonder goal a week prior. Pardew was to blame for the flat atmosphere from the off, which is ironic as he likes to think we are indeed his 12th man.

Don't get me wrong, Pardew has done some very good things here and overall, as the results show, he has been doing a very good job, but things could be so much better and while it seems a tad rude toexpect more given the circumstances, why not expect more given what we can clearly see in our team, i.e. a very good side certainly on a par with Liverpool and indeed a side that could well take afvantage of an average Arsenal and Chelsea side with a bit more positivity in our attacking play and a bit more trust with our best attacking player.

It boils my piss to see us hoof the ball at any given time. This is the antithesis of keeping the ball and basically plays into the opposition's hands. Against QPR we should be playing football and had we, we would have beaten them comfortably thus given the players more confidence, the fans more bleieve and sending out a clear message to those around us that this Newcastle is more than a workmanlike side.

It isn't rocket science and I know Pardew knows this but he is trying to be too clever and although its working for him at the moment it will slap him hard in the face soon. He thinks he's Mourinho. he thinks he can use Ben Arfa sparingly because he's so good at management, whoever he plays instead will follow his instructions and help achieve the requiried results. He's a hypocrite becaue he defends the whoeful Obertan to the hilt and keeps selecting him yet refuses to start Ben Arfa who in one game (Blackburn) did more than Obertan has done in his whole career. What does he do? Plays Ryan fucking Taylor on the right at home to QPR.

Pardwe needs to ditch the long ball tactics, start trusting his players more and start selecting the right players in the right positions because pretty soon luck will run out, teams will out play us as QPR did for large parts today and really punish as. As Norwich did, Swansea, West Brom and an extremely woeful Liverpool side did. Not as woeful as were were mind. That is twice against QPR we have performed abslutely pathetic and its not on, not when we have such good footballers.

If we were a team of cloggers yes, but we have some really fine footballers such as Cabaye, Ben Arfa, even Best showed he's far more of a footballer today than a target man or a lump up front.

Mind I can't fault the way we are set up defensively in terms of shape and discipline but tactically by hoofing it and not keeping the ball more and better, we will always invite the other team onto the ball and thus creating chances against us which QPR did aplenty and a better side or a better finisher in their ranks, would have saw us beaten.

To try and kill the game after 70 minutes is cowardly too. Pardew speaks a good game in terms of the 'yeah we will go out to beat them and to pick up three points hom or away' type mantra he spews forth but his team selections and tactics suggest a cautious, percentages man who doesn't quite trust his players or rather someone who doesn't quite know how to utilise a footballer, something he as a player was not...

I agree broadly, not quite as harsh on him, but he needs to take the blame for some of the hoofing that has happened, and his Ben Arfa treatment has been odd. I think we have played fine footy but he seems to be reliant on 4-4-2 style too much, not that it's not unsuitable a lot, but when we need to compete in midfield having a player linking mid to attack really helps. He deserves some credit for our defence functioning often pretty faultlessly however, and I think some of the hoofing has been caused by defective wingers, Obertan being s*** and Jonas either s*** or just defending. His own fault since Ben Arfa does fine there really.

I also think Cabaye has been such a great signing, and he's got things spot on quite a lot so he has plenty of slack, overall think he's done a good job.

Guest neesy111

How many goals did we have on the pitch when Best went off? None. I don't blame him for shutting up shop.

I seem to remember us conceding quite a few last minute goals last season as well.

Guest Dontooner

We are quite solid defensively, and could keep a good shape which keeps teams from openly breaking us down...however 1/3 of this comes from Colo's Individual composure and reading of the game therefore its important we have him here for at least another 2 seasons. Pardew has worked out a good defensive unit that has players covering one another but on the attacking side, he is still an average or slightly below average Premiership Manager which has some good individual players winning games for him. Attacking wise he has not impress me at all, the team just isnt fluid enough in the last third in open play, lots to be improved on that front. Hopeful there is space for Pardew to learn and improve the attacking style of the team rather than his static 4-4-2 system.

For me more often than not he gets it tactically right. I have to say I didn't realise he was this good a manager. He carries himself very well in front of the press also which is nice after having to put up with the likes of Big fat Sam and JFK. 

How many goals did we have on the pitch when Best went off? None. I don't blame him for shutting up shop.

And how many points have we dropped this season after taking the lead?

Very few. Liverpool is the only one that springs to mind.

The first 20 mins was a result of the same attitude to the Liverpool game tbh. It's a trait of Pardew's I dislike but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt while he picks up results.

The time to worry would be next season if we've got better players but still put out teams to try and stop the likes of QPR scoring at St James'.

I agree he got that bit right. I think we might have to take this attitude into other games this month as I don't see us scoring many so it won't be a bad idea to just stay solid and hope for a bit of magic from someone like Be Arfa. Take Shola out of the side though FFS.

Let's face it, 6th position at this point is dreamland stuff, and Pardew deserves massive credit. All the rest is detail.

:suicide:

Lovenkrands is part of a strikeforce that has scored 'x' amounts of goals this season to help fire us up to sixth, and deserves massive credit. All the rest is detail.

Guest Dontooner

Let's face it, 6th position at this point is dreamland stuff, and Pardew deserves massive credit. All the rest is detail.

:suicide:

Lovenkrands is part of a strikeforce that has scored 'x' amounts of goals this season to help fire us up to sixth, and deserves massive credit. All the rest is detail.

6 position at the end of the season is dreamland stuff, there is still plenty full of games before you start dreaming ..

Exactly, he's done an incredible job given the lack of resources and small squad at his disposal, it's hard to think of another manager who could have done a similar job.

I find the Ben Arfa hysteria cringeworthy as he's only produced the odd flash of brilliance in lots of mediocrity since he arrived. Yesterday however was different, he played as a team player, worked his stones off and his all round contribution in the game was excellent. That is the player he can become and maybe Pardew's hard line attitude with him is justified? I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start our next few games.