Alan Pardew

JH

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I really hope pardew's taking the time this week to work on a new attacking free-kick routine other than 'aim for Williamson on the left edge of the box.'

I really hope pardew's taking the time this week to work on a new attacking free-kick routine other than 'aim for Williamson on the left edge of the box.'

It used to be Taylor doing the very same thing. :lol:

Has it ever worked? 

Set piece routine that's stuck in my head was against Liverpool at home when Barton chipped a free kick in to Carroll who nodded it down for Nolan to volley home from 6 yards. Maybe that's what we're trying to replicate?  :lol:

It worked better with Saylor imo and that's really down to him having more strength than Williamson.

It worked better with Saylor imo and that's really down to him having more strength than Williamson.

Not just strength, Taylor is better at every aspect of heading. He attacks the ball greatly, has a more determined leap/timing of a header and he gets greater purchase/direction on them.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

The free-kicks are just so bloody predictable, we tried the exact same thing about 4 times in a row on Saturday and each one was as futile as the last.

Not just strength, Taylor is better at every aspect of heading. He attacks the ball greatly, has a more determined leap/timing of a header and he gets greater purchase/direction on them.

:thup: Yeah I agree with that. Saylor has that extra determination to get there even if it means putting his body on the line.

(His "super-Geordie" instinct if you will :laugh:)

Wish we'd whip corners in at the near post rather than the floated to the back post ones we are doing now. Jonas put in a cracking one against Wolves away which Ba managed to nod in. Sick of us floating them to the back for Williamson to nod back across and them to clear  :hmm:

Cannot recall anything postive coming from this tactic, however it is used very often. So can anyone tell me why we sending our slowest CB into the opposition box as a target, when this tactic has on more than one occassion in the past yielded nowt? All that we achieving is that he will be out of position when the opposition counter and arguably the slowest person in the team is being asked to run the furthest distance in the shortest possible time, just to get back.

Guest ThievingMagpie

It's a bit unfortunate but we don't have any real wingers outside of Jonas who really only finally was able to but in a cross about the last 2 seasons. I love Jonas, arguably my current favourite player but he really doesn't offer anything more than running up and down the pitch and trying very hard. Sure he chips in with the odd goal but overall he isn't a spectacular player. If we could get a proper left winger in who could cross maybe we can shift Jonas out right so that he can be on his stronger side and put in more crosses or something? With Tiote, Cabaye and the emergence of Danny Guthrie we seem to have a very solid midfield and can only hope to improve it by paying over the odds for someone.

I think currently we definitely need a fullback followed by a decent winger because I may be a bit stupid thinking this but I think that Sylvian Marveaux comes good. Hopefully Alan doesn't choose to rely so heavily on a 4-4-2 but I think given now Cisse and Ba are an actual think I think it's more than likely the team will be built towards a 4-4-2 of some sort.

Considering we've got a couple of lads who are accurate from dead balls it should just be put into a dangerous area in front of the keeper every time.

Particularly now that we have what looks like a goal poacher plus both strikers have good movement. Not sure why we dont employ the tactic you mention. We need to show a bit of invention and accuracy from dead ball situations. Our corners, as been mentioned, are not really threatening either.

Anyone have any idea what the meaning is of Cabaye crossing his arms just before taking a corner? Based on the end result, I am starting to get the impression it means "rubbish corner coming in".

It's a bit unfortunate but we don't have any real wingers outside of Jonas who really only finally was able to but in a cross about the last 2 seasons. I love Jonas, arguably my current favourite player but he really doesn't offer anything more than running up and down the pitch and trying very hard. Sure he chips in with the odd goal but overall he isn't a spectacular player. If we could get a proper left winger in who could cross maybe we can shift Jonas out right so that he can be on his stronger side and put in more crosses or something? With Tiote, Cabaye and the emergence of Danny Guthrie we seem to have a very solid midfield and can only hope to improve it by paying over the odds for someone.

I think currently we definitely need a fullback followed by a decent winger because I may be a bit stupid thinking this but I think that Sylvian Marveaux comes good. Hopefully Alan doesn't choose to rely so heavily on a 4-4-2 but I think given now Cisse and Ba are an actual think I think it's more than likely the team will be built towards a 4-4-2 of some sort.

Isn't it better to fix the right before we go to the left? He is not Genola or Robert but he has his qualitys. With the need of CB, RB,RW, DM is more pressing it is playing with death to try to replace Jonas. I am sure Pards knows this and thats why he gave him 4 year contract at the beginning of the season.

What a time for this game to come round for Pardew. First time in his tenure that there's been anything more than a hint of frustration from the fans towards him, a loss to this lot playing the same brand of shite we saw against Wolves would be a disaster for him.

Hope he develops some testicles between now and Sunday and actually attempts to go at them.

What a time for this game to come round for Pardew. First time in his tenure that there's been anything more than a hint of frustration from the fans towards him, a loss to this lot playing the same brand of shite we saw against Wolves would be a disaster for him.

Hope he develops some testicles between now and Sunday and actually attempts to go at them.

He'll be under serious pressure if we take a loss here, which is insane given that we'd probably still be sixth, but that's football I suppose.

Wish we'd whip corners in at the near post rather than the floated to the back post ones we are doing now. Jonas put in a cracking one against Wolves away which Ba managed to nod in. Sick of us floating them to the back for Williamson to nod back across and them to clear  :hmm:

Cabaye wasn't it? 

Have to get the right balance, wasn't long ago everyone was complaining about never beating the first man.  Now we loft it to the back post and it doesn't work either!