Alan Pardew

JH

Second season of Man U getting the job done without being impressive. Look at their teams in the seasons they lost to Arsenal or Mourinho's Chelsea and it rather shows there has been a dropping off in quality of the competition. Mancini needs to go if City do fail to win the season, hasn't anything left to hide behind.

Anyhoot rather besides the point. Reckon united could rather do need a new midfield, and their eyes are less on cup than on the champions league. Ferguson has said as much, that they can't compete in europe with what they have. Tiote I don't know if he was sure there was a rumour they were sniffing around.

Chelsea main threat, but they can't offer reliable champions league footy neccessarily anymore...

Man Utd definitely need a good DM imo.  Getting constantly outplayed in Europe proved that.

More to do with the general quality in midfield than having a designated defensive midfielder. They've got on just fine without a defensive midfielder for years.

Nah, man. 3 Champions League finals from the previous 4 seasons is crap. THEY NEED TIOTE!

Doesn't mean they don't need new bodies in.

Fletcher was doing a great job until he couldn't stop shitting himself.  Giggs and Scholes can't last 90 minutes and Carrick is the invisible man.

Fletcher wasn't a DM, man.

Think if they do go after a holding midfielder Javi Martinez would definitely be top of their list anyway, they wouldn't spend £20m on Tiote.

Why would they target a holding midfielder though? They've never, ever played with a holding midfielder.

Martinez would be a great signing for them (and anybody) because he's a fantastic passer, technically accomplished and strong physically. They wouldn't sign him because they specifically want a defensive midfielder, they'd sign him because he's a good footballer.

I actually agree with you that the midfield has cost them in Europe this season, but I don't know why you keep mentioning that buzz word. Fergie has always played 2 central midfielders that can do a job both ways.

I don't really disagree with any of that, martinez would be a great signing for them.

Yes very good tally of how much they've won, tell me they're as impressive as when they had tevez rooney and ronaldo in their front line when actually watching them? I don't care how many points they've collected, this isn't a 'classic' side, the competition is poor this year, us and city are the only ones who've really given them a kicking, more teams should have managed.

Second season of Man U getting the job done without being impressive.

23 wins out of 30 games. They're on course for the highest PL tally ever since it was cut to 20 teams.

More because of the weak nature of the league in general this season tbqh.

They're almost Germanic in their efficiency, but they aint been impressive this season for long stretches. It baffles me why more teams don't play at a high intensity against them in the same way we did at home and Bilbao did to them in Europe.

City aren't operating great as a team, and have been less impressive to watch than Spurs for most the season.

I agree entirely they've operated very well as a team etc, but in 10 years time is anyone going to be enthusing about the 11-12 man united squad? no.

RB, LB, CB, CM

Doubt we'll get a RB, assuming we get a LB then Santon/Simpson become the RB's.

Still need a forward imo, either of Ba or Cisse get injured (go to ACN) and we're short again, 'specially if we're playing a front three more often than not.

Oh aye, we definitely need another striker. Perhaps a young striker from the lower leagues? (I'm thinking one of Rodriguez or Rhodes).

I think thats why we have been linked with the likes of Giudetti and Morata...... sign a young mobile forward to add to the squad give him minutes when Ba and Cisse are not fit and the cups and AFCON and maybe use them as possible replacements at some point down the line.

Makes sense imo and if the Journal is to be believe its one of the positions we are targeting.

City aren't operating great as a team, and have been less impressive to watch than Spurs for most the season.

Once again you're talking about aesthetics for no particular reason. City have accumulated a hell of a lot of points and have pushed Man U hard.

Think if they do go after a holding midfielder Javi Martinez would definitely be top of their list anyway, they wouldn't spend £20m on Tiote.

Why would they target a holding midfielder though? They've never, ever played with a holding midfielder.

Because for the most part they've had 2 of the best central midfielders of this generation at their disposal.

It's not necessarily about pure aesthetics though, you can only get points against the teams that are in the league, and when these teams have been tested outside the league in europe they both catastrophically failed to impress. How many points a team has accumulated only matters to a point in the long run. Again can't see anyone looking back at this man u side as a classic one, they're gritty, and it is totally impressive how they've ground out the season so effectively but it is just a little a brawl between has-been pensioners. Apart from City who are some young kid with no brain or something.

Because for the most part they've had 2 of the best central midfielders of this generation at their disposal.

There's still no chance of them signing a player who's job is to hold, or somebody who can only do that.

You don't need to do so to be successful.

You don't need to do so in the premier league, maybe you need to in the champions league though, they're defense wasn't up to it so far, and Ferguson isn't dogmatic.

Though not sure tiote is the answer for that anyway.

I suspect he will start with the three up front, what worries me is a slow start or a goal and he'll pull ben arfa off to try and bolster the defence, but i'm not sure how we can. Liverpool don't strike me as having too much pace so going at them seems the best defence we have left.