Alan Pardew

JH

Guest Chubby Jason

I think it was Sir Bobby wasn't it? Roeder nearly did but got sacked before the Watford game on the last day.

That's about 7 -8 years, that's ridiculous.:lol:

Guest neesy111

How long has it been since we had a manager that completed a full Premiership season?

Think Roeder did the full 2006/07 season - he was sacked as soon as it finished iirc.

Nope, was sacked after last home game.  Pearson took charge of Watford (a) last game.

It's 2003/04.

Guest Howaythetoon

If anything the football we have played recently backs up what the likes of myself have been saying for a good while now, we really do have the players to play good football. Only Pardew's team selections, team lineups and tactics, all hampered our ability to play good football which didn't always effect results but always effected performances. Now he is picking the right players, in the right lineup and with the right tactics. The result of this is there for all to see. 4 successive wins and some fantastic football played in between with key players now starring, notably Ben Arfa and Cabaye, our two most creative players.

And Pardew deserves full praise for this, he really does. However, I'm not personally going to get carried away just yet. If he can continue to pick the right players in the right lineup with the right tactics not just in one or two games but over the course of many, and performances continue as they are right now, then I for one will change my views of him.

I will however not retract my previous criticisms because they have been justified and valid at the time. Indeed watching us perform so well and seeing Ben Arfa tearing the opposition a new one, actually rankles with me. Perhaps had we started with him much earlier and tried to play good football in all our games, we might be cementing a CL place right now rather that the likely Europ League place we currently occupy.

For me, I have never had a problem with our position in the table or our results, which have been brilliant, it has always been about the performances and right now we are performing really well and finally, it seems, the penny has fallen for Pardew and long may it continue and if so you won't see me complaining, even if results and league placings started to drop off.

If we play like we have been in the last 3 games though we will win even more games and finish really well in the tabe.

Guest Howaythetoon

One thing that I will give Pardew massive credit for is the performances of our so-called lesser players like Williamson, Ryan Taylor, Perch etc. I think these players require a very hands on type of approach in terms of coaching, tactics etc. over the more talented of players who don't really need such an approach. This is where Pardew excells due to his preparation, man management and motivation skills. As a result these so-called lesser players can come in and perform really well and really contribute. He can be credited with the improvement in the games of all those players previously mentioned and even those with ability such as Guthrie. In the past few games he's allowed our better players to play their natural game if you like and provided the instructions/tactics to those that need it like Perch etc. and that is the balance we require, especially the players. Basically the right balance is being struck at the moment with the players and they are all performing well as individuals and more importantly as a team, in unison, be it in attack or in defence.

One thing that I will give Pardew massive credit for is the performances of our so-called lesser players like Williamson, Ryan Taylor, Perch etc. I think these players require a very hands on type of approach in terms of coaching, tactics etc. over the more talented of players who don't really need such an approach. This is where Pardew excells due to his preparation, man management and motivation skills. As a result these so-called lesser players can come in and perform really well and really contribute. He can be credited with the improvement in the games of all those players previously mentioned and even those with ability such as Guthrie. In the past few games he's allowed our better players to play their natural game if you like and provided the instructions/tactics to those that need it like Perch etc. and that is the balance we require, especially the players. Basically the right balance is being struck at the moment with the players and they are all performing well as individuals and more importantly as a team, in unison, be it in attack or in defence.

Very fair appraisal, I also agree with your previous comment that Pardew is doing what many of his detractors were asking him to do. One thing I will say about Perch however, I actually think that technically, he's more talented than we ever gave him credit for

I will however not retract my previous criticisms because they have been justified and valid at the time. Indeed watching us perform so well and seeing Ben Arfa tearing the opposition a new one, actually rankles with me. Perhaps had we started with him much earlier and tried to play good football in all our games, we might be cementing a CL place right now rather that the likely Europ League place we currently occupy.

Aye, perhaps if we'd allowed HBA to waltz straight back into the team he would have immediately understood and adopted the team ethos that he's been brilliantly displaying the last couple of weeks.

Guest Howaythetoon

Very fair appraisal, I also agree with your previous comment that Pardew is doing what many of his detractors were asking him to do. One thing I will say about Perch however, I actually think that technically, he's more talented than we ever gave him credit for

I actually agree, in fact I'd say most of our players have decent ability, obviously some more than others. I cringe when the likes of Williamson, Simpson, Perch et al are classed as championship players. They have proved they are much better than that, easily Premier Leauge class. In short good enough for this leage as they are to a man proving whenever called upon.

Guest VaVaVoom

In fairness, it was difficult for the fans to get behind Perch when for the start of his career, all he did was mistime challenges and pick up cards. Hardly surprising that most didn't think he'd make it, full credit to the lad for upping his game. He's been one of our top 3 performers in the last four-five games.

As for Obertan, I'd never boo him at a game or applaud him coming off but the reality is, he's shown very, very little to suggest he can come good here. He'd require a Perch transformation and I'd say that's very unlikely, especially if we continue to do good business and marginalise him further

I would say Perch along with Guthrie and Raylor make it more likely Obertan can go on to be a good player for us.

Pardew has got a lot out of players deemed not good enough, including Best. Saylor was brilliant before his injury too.

It's far, far too early to write off Obertan (or Gosling for that matter). Both are still young and finding their feet. It's the first season at a new club for Obertan and Gosling has started about 6 games in 2 years.

You're completely right about players coming good after poor starts. I always rated Best and Saylor to put in good performances but I did not think Perch or Guthrie would improve to the levels they have. As for Gosling, I definitely think he'll come good. My problem with Obertan is that he makes the wrong decision far too often and it's not that he's technically flawed, not at all, it's that mentally he isn't there on a confidence level or a football-understanding level.

I hope he comes through and improves but if I had the choice I'd put other players ahead of him like Ferguson who I think will improve much quicker. If we get into Europe, I really hope Obertan gets games and manages to develop

:thup:

I actually think Obertan has shown flashes of brilliance with clever/skillfull touches at times but he doesnt have a connection with the team when on the pitch. Im happy for him to be a 'impact player' off the bench.

Pardew does seem to have the knack of getting the best from players. Worth mentioning that Santon done pretty well yesterday.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Fair play!

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye, perhaps if we'd allowed HBA to waltz straight back into the team he would have immediately understood and adopted the team ethos that he's been brilliantly displaying the last couple of weeks.

There is no way on earth he needed to be kept on the bench to understand and adopt the team work ethos. You get that from playing games, getting an understanding with your team-mates and being a PART of things. Basically what he is getting. That and the confidence of your manager. Of course it isn't a one-way thing but Pardew has always shown a reluctance to play Ben Arfa ahead of safer options like Ryan Taylor and Obertan.

Incidentally, Obertan in most of his games lacked the team work ethos you talk of yet continued to get selected.

Guest Howaythetoon

Fair play!

By the way, I thought your point scoring attempts in previous posts were rather pathetic. I have always attempted to put any criticism into some kind of fair or constructive analysis and appraisal where as it seems your good self is all about being right. Our recent good form and results vindicate your own support of Pardew so you are or were indeed right. As a result, this is for you:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/BluePeterBadge.jpg

Mind, I believe I should have one too given that my own criticism has been vindicated in recent games. I've often maintained that we are more than capable of playing good football if the right players were selected and in the right lineup with the right tactics and this is happening.

So we were both right. Who would have thunked it eh....

By the way, when we are winning and playing well is there a better sight? Long may it continue, if so, Pardew will win me over in no time.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Fair play!

By the way, I thought your point scoring attempts in previous posts were rather pathetic. I have always attempted to put any criticism into some kind of fair or constructive analysis and appraisal where as it seems your good self is all about being right. Our recent good form and results vindicate your own support of Pardew so you are or were indeed right. As a result, this is for you:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/BluePeterBadge.jpg

Mind, I believe I should have one too given that my own criticism has been vindicated in recent games. I've often maintained that we are more than capable of playing good football if the right players were selected and in the right lineup with the right tactics and this is happening.

So we were both right. Who would have thunked it eh....

By the way, when we are winning and playing well is there a better sight? Long may it continue, if so, Pardew will win me over in no time.

I can live with that. Apology accepted ;)

In all seriousness i am immensely proud of this season from the tea lady to MA. Nufc is back baby, we are BACK!!!!

Guest andrew

If Pards can turn Obertan into a decent footballer it'll be a fucking miracle. Beyond a miracle. It would make Jesus look like an amatuer.

i dont think he will. Pardew is a fantastic defensive/positional coach and that in my opinion is why raylor, perch, guthrie (simpson to a degree, he hasnt been exposed as much as he was under hughton) look a lot better for his input. i think he will find it hard to change players whose main problems are offensive. i hear carver's a good attacking coach, maybe we can hope he has some words of advice for obertan

Been baffled at times with his formations, subs the lot, but us being in 6th has a lot to do with him. Knew exactly how to play West Brom, Swansea and Liverpool and made them look daft. You can say its down to players, but he has put them in the new formation and got them working hard as a unit. Fantastic at the moment

"We are going to need that little period which is to come soon.

“I’m thankful that the Chelsea game is going to give us a little rest period. The Bolton game is going to be significant for us.

“If we can get through that and get any kind of result – even a draw – I’d take a draw.

“But looking at us with that extra day of rest I think we’ll be favourite to get the win.

“We’ve got another 52,000 crowd jumping and I can’t wait."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/04/07/nufc-boss-pardew-is-looking-for-some-six-appeal-72703-30711970/

Strange quotes IMO, don't know why I even take any notice anymore though. :lol:

Apologies if already posted, my dad mentioned it on the phone earlier and I hadn't seen the quotes anywhere.