Alan Pardew

JH

We never got behind the ball. The space they were finding was ridiculous and the tracking back at times was heartless. Pardew just needs to get them all together defensively again.

when the 2 goals went in quickly he made a decent change to match their formation, only problem was it was purely a containment measure and when goals 3 & 4 went in that was it clearly...after 2-0 we never threatened

we met the wrong team today, shame...let's hope spurs lose and it won't cost us

hate wigan man, graveyard, fuck them though....htl

No need to overanalyse this one. Terrible day out, started with the best XI we have at the moment, we were outplayed comprehensively by a severely motivated side. It is a reality check as to the limitations of our defence and our team when the spirit isn't there. Hard to play at the level we have been playing at for 2 months straight. Form does dip. Let's see how Pardew gets them back up for Chelsea - it is the biggest match we have had in some time.  A draw or dare say a win would still be so massive.

One of those days, certainly doesn't invalidate the incredible work he has done this season.

No need to overanalyse this one. Terrible day out, started with the best XI we have at the moment, we were outplayed comprehensively by a severely motivated side. It is a reality check as to the limitations of our defence and our team when the spirit isn't there. Hard to play at the level we have been playing at for 2 months straight. Form does dip. Let's see how Pardew gets them back up for Chelsea - it is the biggest match we have had in some time.  A draw or dare say a win would still be so massive.

One of those days, certainly doesn't invalidate the incredible work he has done this season.

This.

An off day for everyone concerned (the players, the manager and staff) really.

To Pardew's credit, he did try to change it around a bit when he decided to switch to a 3-4-3 and try to match Wigan in all areas of the pitch. But ultimately, we were outdone by a determined Wigan side who, in their traditonal March/April form, were great today so all credit to them (seriously, their football model of "being relegation candidates for most of the season and then turning into a nice footballing side in the last couple of months of the season" is very annoying!). Taking off Ben Arfa was an understandable decision btw.

Just have to move on basically, we've got a massive game on Wednesday and it's up to Pardew to get the players focused and motivated for Wednesday - I'm sure Alan will do just that.

Might actually be in our favour if Spurs win now. We should go to Chelsea with the intent to win & they should be up for it. Hopefully a lot more than they were today, they now have a big point to prove again. Today sounds like a disaster, accept and move on. Fair play to Wigan.

The third was the killer. Had it gone 2-1 I'd have fancied us to get a point but that's football. We'd won the previous 6 off the bounce only conceding once so we were going to ship a few eventually.

No point in disecting things too much tonight, we got splattered. If lose the next 3 we'll still have had a superb season.

Guest BooBoo

It would be a shame if the season ended with a handful of defeats. Similar happened in 07/08 when KK had a great run but ended with a few dispiriting defeats including, gulp, a last day defeat at Goodison.

The third was the killer. Had it gone 2-1 I'd have fancied us to get a point but that's football. We'd won the previous 6 off the bounce only conceding once so we were going to ship a few eventually.

No point in disecting things too much tonight, we got splattered. If lose the next 3 we'll still have had a superb season.

Spot on.

Guest johnson293

^ This, for me too.

I'm disappointed with the result, obviously. But finding it hard to be too downbeat about it.

Maybe its the fact that whatever happens in the next 3 games, then 6th and Europa League is the worst we can do, and I would have taken that back in August, without doubt.

I just hope today was a 'blip' and we can get something from the remaining games, so the season doesn't end with bad results.

^ This, for me too.

I'm disappointed with the result, obviously. But finding it hard to be too downbeat about it.

Maybe its the fact that whatever happens in the next 3 games, then 6th and Europa League is the worst we can do, and I would have taken that back in August, without doubt.

I just hope today was a 'blip' and we can get something from the remaining games, so the season doesn't end with bad results.

Yep exactly. Look at it like 18 points out or 21 and it's still fantastic.

^ This, for me too.

Yep exactly. Look at it like 18 points out or 21 and it's still fantastic.

Aye that's the way i'm viewing it. One of those games today, let it go and look ahead.

I'd be feeling a lot worse had we not delivered some kind of performance in the second half. We actually put them under a bit of pressure and were unfortunate not to have nicked a couple of goals. In reality, we were at a bogey ground against a pumped Wigan side, who exploited a pretty horrendous defensive performance.

I won't go about making excuses for us, because we definitely deserved to lose, but it wasn't a complete shambles on our part. We've played worse this season and won; the two Bolton games and Norwich stick out where that is concerned. Today our attacking play was stifled by dirty tactics in their first third. Whenever we made in-roads in the first half, they chopped us down and were forgiven by a pretty poor ref (how the hell a ref from The Wirral got that game i'll never know...).

All of that deflated us, then the defensive mis-haps occurred and it was game over. Credit to Wigan really.

We tried to make a game of it in the second half and, hopefully, it won't have dented the confidence and morale too much. We've just got to dust down and move onto Chelsea, which will be a completely different game.