Alan Pardew

JH

Guest BooBoo

One of Pards' greatest attributes is his positivity which must rub off on his gem. You rarely if ever hear him moaning in public. Even after defeats he seeks to take the positives and move forward. I like that in anyone, especially a manager.

interesting and challenging times for pardew, it's going to be very, very hard for him to push on further than we did last season, nigh on impossible tbh

i hope for a cup win (who doesn't)...pards has grown on me massively like, i'd hate to see it fizzle out for him

interesting and challenging times for pardew, it's going to be very, very hard for him to push on further than we did last season, nigh on impossible tbh

i hope for a cup win (who doesn't)...pards has grown on me massively like, i'd hate to see it fizzle out for him

That's why next summer I think it'll be hard keeping a few. We will no doubt be better but could easily do worse. Any other league in Europe and I honestly think this team would be title or top 3 contenders.

That's why next summer I think it'll be hard keeping a few. We will no doubt be better but could easily do worse. Any other league in Europe and I honestly think this team would be title or top 3 contenders.

I believe our points total last season would have got us 3rd in most European leagues.

Guest Archie

Going by names on paper we should finish 6th. Our team is better than Liverpools. Upgrade on simpson and CB to keep Williamson off the pitch and tbh there is no excuse.

Im not saying this to apply unreasonable pressure, but our first XI is becoming mint.

There is a real concern if we dont finish 4-6th this year several players will be looking at new challenges.

This is by no means a dig at manager or owners but the likes of Cabaye, Ben arfa, tiote and Cisse will want Champions league sooner or later. They are good enough to demand it and I cant blame them.

Going by names on paper we should finish 6th. Our team is better than Liverpools. Upgrade on simpson and CB to keep Williamson off the pitch and tbh there is no excuse.

Im not saying this to apply unreasonable pressure, but our first XI is becoming mint.

There is a real concern if we dont finish 4-6th this year several players will be looking at new challenges.

This is by no means a dig at manager or owners but the likes of Cabaye, Ben arfa, tiote and Cisse will want Champions league sooner or later. They are good enough to demand it and I cant blame them.

aye, i've been surprised by many people saying liverpool must do better than last season with the squad they have but when I look at that squad i'm not particularly impressed.

Guest Archie

Take suarez away and they are a midtable team, solid at the back but completely lacking any imagination upfront. Ratface needs 10 chances to convert 1 one though so Im not so worried.

I feel like the final piece in our puzzle is two pacey fullbacks though allowing our wingers more freedom to roam. Jonas to me is more of a kuyt player but the prospect of marveaux and hatem ben arfa on each flank linking up with santon and Debauchy behind them is dripping with drool.... Our wing play last year was holding us back bigtime.

That's what I mean. Collectively, I think the 7-8 quality players we have are capable of around 5th-7th, maybe top 4, but to make the step up you need a couple of world-class players. What may work in our advantage this summer is if RvP leaves Arsenal, and Modric leaves Spurs. For me, those are the difference makers between us and them. They'll obviously replace them, but I think their world class players, will be replaced with players of the quality we have in the likes of Cisse & Cabaye (if we think their replacements are Giroud and Moutinho, then I'm probably right).

The danger we have is that individually, we have players who could go in and improve a world-class team. I could see Coloccini slotting in alongside Kompany at Man City, or Cisse in attack at Inter, Cabaye pulling the strings for someone like Bayern, etc.

I agree on paper we should finish in the top 6, but we shouldn't underestimate the effect on the extra games will have on the squad.

Pretty sure that the young teams we've seen in the friendly games will be playing the Europa/League cup games so unless things are going really tits up in the Europa League I don't see it having an effect really.

Guest Archie

That's what I mean. Collectively, I think the 7-8 quality players we have are capable of around 5th-7th, maybe top 4, but to make the step up you need a couple of world-class players. What may work in our advantage this summer is if RvP leaves Arsenal, and Modric leaves Spurs. For me, those are the difference makers between us and them. They'll obviously replace them, but I think their world class players, will be replaced with players of the quality we have in the likes of Cisse & Cabaye (if we think their replacements are Giroud and Moutinho, then I'm probably right).

The danger we have is that individually, we have players who could go in and improve a world-class team. I could see Coloccini slotting in alongside Kompany at Man City, or Cisse in attack at Inter, Cabaye pulling the strings for someone like Bayern, etc.

Yep, but imagine a left side and a right side with Santon-Ben arfa and Debauchy-Marveaux linking up and protecting eachother offensively with Colo handling the odd hoofball from the other team, instead of Jonas protecting Ryan Taylor and Obertan protecting Danny Simpson.

The latter has zero offensive capability and caused us to be overrun time and time again.

The new wing-pairs are going to be a right nightmare allowing Tiote and Cabaye to be moved into more advanced positions.

Its two worlds really and I hope Pardew share that vision

I agree on paper we should finish in the top 6, but we shouldn't underestimate the effect on the extra games will have on the squad.

Pretty sure that the young teams we've seen in the friendly games will be playing the Europa/League cup games so unless things are going really tits up in the Europa League I don't see it having an effect really.

I would like to see us have a real crack at the Europa League sure blood some youngsters but i want to see a mixture of experience and youth.

Really? I'd say top 8, but i think people on here have distorted views after last season. Liverpool and Tottenham are still stronger, as horrible as it is to admit. We had a season when everyhing clicked, Liverpool had a season when everything went wrong.

I think on paper we're more around 7/8- in the same bracket as Everton. Of course, here's hoping we have another superb season and exceed expectations again, but top 8 would be about right IMO

I think top 7 is realistic but it depends on how well our fringe/young players do. If the younger ones start pushing for first team places and the likes of Perch, Amalfitano and Gosling have good seasons then we could challenge further up the table again.

Really? I'd say top 8, but i think people on here have distorted views after last season. Liverpool and Tottenham are still stronger, as horrible as it is to admit. We had a season when everyhing clicked, Liverpool had a season when everything went wrong.

I think on paper we're more around 7/8- in the same bracket as Everton. Of course, here's hoping we have another superb season and exceed expectations again, but top 8 would be about right IMO

Tottenham finished above us last year so how that has any relation to us finishing top 6 i don't know and we are better than Liverpool and Everton.

Liverpool are definitely not stronger. They have been poor since Benitez left because they have an average side, until they make improvements we are better.

Tottenham finished above us last year so how that has any relation to us finishing top 6 i don't know and we are better than Liverpool and Everton.

Liverpool are definitely not stronger. They have been poor since Benitez left because they have an average side, until they make improvements we are better.

Yes but clearly with their new manager and losing Modric, Spurs are more likely to be catchable than Chelsea, with their investment and apparent boost in morale under Di Matteo. By saying we should be finishing in the top 6 you imply we should be competitive with 5th place (where Tottenham may well finish in my opinion), hence why i mentioned tottenham. And then Liverpool have been competitive for years, and just because they've been poor the last two seasons, they've still won a trophy suggesting they are still strong.

I'm just worried people on here will be complaining if we finish in the top 8, which in my opinion would be an achievemnt as it represents consolidation after a great season before. To expect top 6 as well as doing well in Europe and a domestic cup is dangerous i think. Of course we can hope and it is certainly possible, but top 6 should be a wish not an expectation in my view

I really don't enjoy trying to say what would and wouldn't be a good finishing position. We're capable of playing well and putting on some great performances. That's what I want.

On our rivals, Spurs might be worse and Liverpool might be the same. Chelsea's signings look class. As long as we're competing at the right end of the table I'm basically happy.

Guest Howaythetoon

Anything less than a top 6 finish would be a disappointment given the players we have and the season we have had, progress should always be the aim and we have it in us to progress further.

Tbf, our first team lineup could possibly fight it out with any team in the league right now. But the season is long and as before it's the squad that matters. With the extra games we have this season, and a few uncertains as Marveaux, Amalftiano, Bigirmana, Abeid, Vuckic, Sammy etc. Will they provide enough quality when asked upon to let the machine keep going?

With the squad we've got now/will have soon and the money that appears to be available now and next summer, we should only really stay in or around the European spots imo. It would take a massive pessimist to think we've got anything other than a really bright long term future.

Ogust 18nd pls

Guest BooBoo

Latest:

"It's no secret that we've made a bid for the boy (Debuchy). It was a bid that we though reflected his true market value but it's been knocked back. As for another bid, I'm not sure at this stage. We cant be held to ransom but we'll see what Mike wants to do. The windows got a month left and I'm hoping we'll see some movement soon. Ideally we want one in for Spurs, maybe another before the window shuts. It's tough though, there's no doubt that everyone's feeling the pinch. Transfers are such a technical business, the last few years we've gone from dealing with a player and his agent to a whole entourage at times. It's frustrating and simply adds to an already complex process. What's pleasing though is we've not lost anybody. Make no mistake, there's teams watching our players and I'll be glad when September rolls round. If we can start v Spurs with our current strongest eleven, then you have to say that's a good summer."

Latest:

"It's no secret that we've made a bid for the boy (Debuchy). It was a bid that we though reflected his true market value but it's been knocked back. As for another bid, I'm not sure at this stage. We cant be held to ransom but we'll see what Mike wants to do. The windows got a month left and I'm hoping we'll see some movement soon. Ideally we want one in for Spurs, maybe another before the window shuts. It's tough though, there's no doubt that everyone's feeling the pinch. Transfers are such a technical business, the last few years we've gone from dealing with a player and his agent to a whole entourage at times. It's frustrating and simply adds to an already complex process. What's pleasing though is we've not lost anybody. Make no mistake, there's teams watching our players and I'll be glad when September rolls round. If we can start v Spurs with our current strongest eleven, then you have to say that's a good summer."

Sounds pretty negative about our chances to sign anyone like.