Wigan vs Newcastle United pre game thread - Sun 2nd Jan at 4pm (live on Sky)

Guest Tall Striker

Guest Geordiesned

From the Mirror;

Andy Carroll out of vital relegation six-pointers http://bit.ly/hFvXfz

Andy Carroll has dealt Newcastle a huge injury blow.

The England striker is out for the crucial clashes with Wigan on Sunday and West Ham next week.

The 21 year old has been battling a thigh injury for a few weeks and needs to resolve his problem before playing again.

Carroll has hit 11 goals this season and Pards was counting on him to fire the Geordies to safety.

Meanwhile, Pardew has refused to confirm or deny that the club is ready to rekindle their interest in Spurs striker Robbie Keane.

Predecessor Chris Hughton tried to land the 30-year-old Republic of Ireland skipper on loan during the summer, and it is understood the Magpies retain an interest in a man who has played a largely peripheral role at White Hart Lane during the ensuing months.

However, the Londoners are thought to want a permanent deal and with Keane, who is also being tracked by West Ham Birmingham and Wolves, commanding a lucrative pay package, Newcastle are unlikely to be in that market.

Pardew was giving little away about his plans for the January window, but when asked about Keane, he replied: "Any player of that sort of quality that becomes available, we would be interested in.

"Whether it is possible to bring them to the club for a number of reasons, we will have to see.

"But I am not going to go into individuals because we have had so many names thrown at us and so many of our players leaving, it is ridiculous to name them all, so I will pass on that one."

The news is a crippling blow to Alan Pardew, whose side have slipped to within three points of the drop zone as a result of Christmas defeats at the hands of Manchester City and Tottenham, and face big games against fellow strugglers Wigan and West Ham in the next few days.

Is Shola fit again? If so it'll certainly be him up top with Nolan.

If not, we're looking at Ranger really given how far down the pecking order the trio of Loven, Xisco and Best are.

Guest Loven11

ahhhhh. Cheers. Bit of a mare. Harper up front it is then.  :crazy2: Remember that?

Aye - friendly against Celtic wasn't it?

I'd go for Ranger & Shola up front.

I'd be staggered if Xisco gets a game. He's way down the list and is probably being kept clean in case an exit opportunity arises in January.

An injury to Carroll was always going to happen at some point, we've got to try and muddle through with some very ordinary players - its wing and a prayer time. We do have a proven goal scorer in Nolan, and Barton has scored a couple of important goals but no one else has had much of an impact. We need someone to make a name for themselves.

I wonder if we are up to competing with the likes of these.

Anyone who watched Wolves at Liverpool the other night would appreciate the pace and energy that is required at this level.

Tiote is the only real grafter we have in the middle of the park.

Neither Nolan, Barton and certainly not Smith or Guthrie have the energy levels  to match some of the scrappers down at the bottom, that is what worries me.

We never seem to have learned the lesson that the Premier league absolutely does not allow you to carry passengers in terms of fitness.

To think some people actually welcomed signing a 36 year old Sol Cambell amazes me and even now some are talking up signing Keane! The latest in the queue of has beens with his best days behind him.

Lose to Wigan and we are fucked without 2 more Tiote type athletes in The transfer window IMO.

if pardew has smith in the starting 11.....it will be a huge fail....and in a way tell us that this man will never take us any further than hughton will have done!

sadly, i just cant see pardew becoming an success here. Ashley blew it big time, again!

prove me wrong, will you :-[,