Newcastle v West Ham, Wednesday 5th January, 7.45pm

Guest toonlass

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I was a Nolan critic but he's really won me round for now. Paring him with Smith at times did him no favours.

Sam Alladyce summed Nolan up well when he said he's very average when in the middle of the park. But is superb in the box when it comes to his movement positioning and scoring.

Although i still don't think he's particularly good in the center of midfield. Luckily we have the awesome Tiote who makes up for him. We need stability at the moment and he really seems to be an excellent motivating captain, seems key to our team spirit and recent revival, add to that his goals which speak for themselves and the fact we haven't got anyone better.........he should definately stay for now.

The wheels seem to come off when he and Barton are out.

We need a very good replacement option we can try in his place should he get injured/suspended/for cup games.  Perhaps Hughton had Gosling pencilled in for this role. We shall have to wait and see if he's any good. Vuckik has potential too but isn't ready yet. If we do sign Bentley and Nolan is out then Barton could go central or possibly even Bentley.

What have you actually seen in Vuckic that makes you think he's anything special?

Do a lot of Premiership midfielders have particularly outstandingly special qualities? He's a decent player; I still think he goes missing for chunks of pies games but no-one can deny he's made a huge contribution to your season so far.

I wouldn't have expected to have watched him much but I'm wondering this too. His name is mentioned quite a lot when 'up and coming' players are mentioned.

Is it just because he's young, therefore has 'potential'?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I wouldn't have expected to have watched him much but I'm wondering this too. His name is mentioned quite a lot when 'up and coming' players are mentioned.

Is it just because he's young, therefore has 'potential'?

Young, foreign and left footed. That's why. :lol:

He's young and hasn't really played for the first team yet, RELEASE HIM, USELESS.

I dunno, maybe people just rate him because when they've seen him play for the reserves he's impressed them? The only thing worse than people expecting the next superstar is people who write of our best youngsters before they're out of their teens.

Can't say I've seen anyone write him off as such. Don't think now's the time to start blooding him though. From the appearances I have seen (which admittedly isn't much), and what other's say when he's been given a first team opportunity, he's not impressed too much. Hopefully he can start to put some of that potential to good use, but right now, I just don't think he's ready. With the amount of hype surrounding him, it was naturally a given that he was going to be a disappointment when finally out there on the pitch.

For what it's worth when I've seen him play at reserve level (4 or 5 times maybe) he's been probably the best player on the park each time, outperforming older players. Captaining his country's U19 team at 16, playing for the U21s at 17 and called into the full team at 18 is usually a good sign. This coupled with  the stories of bigger clubs watching him before we signed him has led to him being (over)hyped up. Whether he'll amount to anything in the long term, time will only tell.

No, though, he's shit and anybody who has the remotest positive attitude towards playing young players should be lambasted for doing so. It's not like our current star player was the result of having faith in young players, is it?

For what it's worth when I've seen him play at reserve level (4 or 5 times maybe) he's been probably the best player on the park each time, outperforming older players. Captaining his country's U19 team at 16, playing for the U21s at 17 and called into the full team at 18 is usually a good sign. This coupled with  the stories of bigger clubs watching him before we signed him has led to him being (over)hyped up. Whether he'll amount to anything in the long term, time will only tell.

No, though, he's shit and anybody who has the remotest positive attitude towards playing young players should be lambasted for doing so. It's not like our current star player was the result of having faith in young players, is it?

What are his key attributes? Dribbler? Pace? Genuine question btw - he may well turn out to be good and if he has something then of course, support him 100%. I just haven't seen much from the admittedly limited times I've seen him. He's of course got time.

Don't think anyone is saying he's shit.

Probably archetypal European #10. Great left foot, passing and shooting...only uses his right foot to stand on and despite his size and height is pretty poor in the air and usually shirks the physical side. He's got a reasonable stride pace wise but he's not exactly a pacy dribbling kind of player.

Nobody has said he's shit, that was hyperbole, but then again there are people who are questioning his future after resembling the first team only a handful of times. This is no better than the people calling for him to start immediately because he's Slovenia's answer to Maradona.