Sebastian Larsson

Guest taps01

Guest TheSummerOf69

A team isn't made just from individuals who sparkle on their day (Barton, Ben Arfa, Ginola, Robert, Gasgoigne, Dyer etc) - it needs some of those but it also needs some hard workers who don't necessarily catch the eye but will graft hard, be in the right places, be available to receive and give lots of simple passes, and put the running in. When we went down we missed the likes of Jenas, Parker, Milner... and now we're doing well it's with the likes of Nolan and Guiterez in there. Tiote deserves lots of credit, but he's not the whole story.

If Barton was the right side of a central midfield three, could he continue his current role, with Larsson still playing wide right?

It'd be a dynamic formation. But tactics and discipline it should work no?  Someone posted a solid formation with Tiote, Nolan, Barton, Larson, and HBA playing together which would be a great one.

Barton Tiote Nolan

Larsson                                Ben Arfa

Carroll

It might work. Simply Larsson, Barton, Simpson and Tiote can pass the ball around until one can whip it in from the right with Carroll and Nolan getting in the area, and Ben Arfa lurking outside the area to deal with any clearances. If necessary we can switch the ball to the left and let Hatem and Jose do the damage.

I have this sneaking suspicion that Nolan doesn't perform playing off a lone striker as well as he does playing behind two.  Do the stats and more importantly the results back this up?

Barton Nolan and Tiote would continue to play the same role the currently do within the side. So Nolan would not be playing off Carroll. The two new widemen would be playing off Carroll.

or....

barton tiote

larsson(?)    ziani (?)  ben arfa

carroll

two new average players to suddenly break in to our first eleven? no thanks

in place of nolan (less than averag when he doesn't score and our other forward, less than average whoever it is ?

Nolan is istrumental in our team.

If we are looking to be a team whose only aim is to stay in this division then yes, he is.

If Barton was the right side of a central midfield three, could he continue his current role, with Larsson still playing wide right?

It'd be a dynamic formation. But tactics and discipline it should work no?  Someone posted a solid formation with Tiote, Nolan, Barton, Larson, and HBA playing together which would be a great one.

Barton Tiote Nolan

Larsson                                Ben Arfa

Carroll

It might work. Simply Larsson, Barton, Simpson and Tiote can pass the ball around until one can whip it in from the right with Carroll and Nolan getting in the area, and Ben Arfa lurking outside the area to deal with any clearances. If necessary we can switch the ball to the left and let Hatem and Jose do the damage.

I have this sneaking suspicion that Nolan doesn't perform playing off a lone striker as well as he does playing behind two.  Do the stats and more importantly the results back this up?

Barton Nolan and Tiote would continue to play the same role the currently do within the side. So Nolan would not be playing off Carroll. The two new widemen would be playing off Carroll.

or....

barton tiote

larsson(?)    ziani (?)  ben arfa

carroll

two new average players to suddenly break in to our first eleven? no thanks

in place of nolan (less than averag when he doesn't score and our other forward, less than average whoever it is ?

Nolan is istrumental in our team.

If we are looking to be a team whose only aim is to stay in this division then yes, he is.

You think Ziani and Larsson would get us higher up the table? think again. And btw, take a look at Nolan's scoring record this season.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/01/08/nufc-launch-1m-bid-for-sebastian-larsson-61634-27951102/

Despite United’s firm interest, Larsson’s agent, Per Jonsson, was not giving too much away last night as he tried to deflect questions about his client’s intentions.

“A lot of teams like him. Newcastle? It is too early to say anything about that at the moment,” he said. “I know that he is with Birmingham at the moment and he is preparing for their FA Cup game at Millwall.

“He is not the type of guy who will cause any problems if another team has bid for him or there is other interest.”

I never get the reasoning for people wanting to drop Nolan, his goals enough should guarantee him a place, nevermind being the best captain we have.

:thup:

I called for him to be dropped last season and regretted it, he has nearly 1 in 2? This season in a team with not too many goalscorers and he is a brilliant captain.

Cannot be dropped, I don't think he is nearly as bad as made out either. In his quite games he is still always very, very tidy. Give him the ball and 99 times out of 100 he will find one of our players even if he isn't creating something.

I never get the reasoning for people wanting to drop Nolan, his goals enough should guarantee him a place, nevermind being the best captain we have.

:thup:

I called for him to be dropped last season and regretted it, he has nearly 1 in 2? This season in a team with not too many goalscorers and he is a brilliant captain.

Cannot be dropped, I don't think he is nearly as bad as made out either. In his quite games he is still always very, very tidy. Give him the ball and 99 times out of 100 he will find one of our players even if he isn't creating something.

It seems to depend on the opposition and how high up the pitch he's playing. Sometimes when he's played off Carroll the opposition have found it far too easy to mark him out of the game and he's just become invisible.

Why? He's their player they can do what they want with him. Being cup tied will hardly put clubs off.

Goign off of what Pardew said about wanting to get the player in before he was cuptied. Then again, not sure how serious he was about it.

Didn't he say at the start of the week he wanted a striker by Friday? I think we are in for a typical transfer window of plenty of promise but fuck all coming to fruition then those who didn't want Larsson, Bentley, Keane etc.. wishing we had actually signed them.

Didn't he say at the start of the week he wanted a striker by Friday? I think we are in for a typical transfer window of plenty of promise but f*** all coming to fruition then those who didn't want Larsson, Bentley, Keane etc.. wishing we had actually signed them.

Deep breath.

A team isn't made just from individuals who sparkle on their day (Barton, Ben Arfa, Ginola, Robert, Gasgoigne, Dyer etc) - it needs some of those but it also needs some hard workers who don't necessarily catch the eye but will graft hard, be in the right places, be available to receive and give lots of simple passes, and put the running in. When we went down we missed the likes of Jenas, Parker, Milner... and now we're doing well it's with the likes of Nolan and Guiterez in there. Tiote deserves lots of credit, but he's not the whole story.

Absolutely spot on!! Larsson came through the ranks at Arsenal did he not? The boy must be technically sound, so if he's nowt special flair-wise, he can still do the simple stuff well. If he's a good pro off the field, I think this would be a step in the right direction in terms of building a squad. Far far better than acquiring Bentley and the baggage.

I am not going "all Neesy" I just think this sounds like many windows before it, I have always been a "wait and see" poster but I am not confident this time for some reason. We seem to be strongly linked to players then it doesn't progress at all. The mail (I think) heavily linked us to Bentley, Pardew mentioned him a few times, next thing we know he is signing for Birmingham on loan without a whimper from us.

The Keane link has also gone dead.

I think we will be strongly linked to a few more players (Ziani this morning) then it will be ruled out/sign for someone else. Hasn't that already happened with Ziani?

I am not going "all Neesy" I just think this sounds like many windows before it, I have always been a "wait and see" poster but I am not confident this time for some reason. We seem to be strongly linked to players then it doesn't progress at all. The mail (I think) heavily linked us to Bentley, Pardew mentioned him a few times, next thing we know he is signing for Birmingham on loan without a whimper from us.

I think we will be strongly linked to a few more players (Ziani this morning) then it will be ruled out/sign for someone else. Hasn't that already happened with Ziani?

Most of the signings we've made under MA have come out of the blue have they not? Who's to say it will be any different this window?

You're right, will keep my fingers crossed. Maybe it's Pardew's "tell everyone everything" approach that has thrown me off guard :thup:

The man pisses me right off with his spouting off to the press. I shudder to think what he'll be like next time a scandal breaks out or some shit

:lol:

We're a week into the window. There was never any confirmation from Pardew that he wanted Keane or Bentley. Just take it easy.

Pardew said the club won't over pay for any player, so the loan fees for bentley and keane were too much in his eyes and why we are now looking at permanent transfers but on the lower scale. He knows he will be judged by Ashley not only on results but getting value for money, I'm happy with not bring fleeced with high loan fees or paying over the odds for players on their last legs or out of form.

Most of the signings we've made under MA have come out of the blue have they not? Who's to say it will be any different this window?

How many recent 1st teamers were signed out of the blue?

I don't think anyone mentioned dropping Nolan, but in the longer term I'd like to think we'll upgrade to a midfielder who is more mobile or creative.