Sebastian Larsson

Guest taps01

Aye, even if his final ball/shot is dogshit at least hes an outlet, to relieve pressure of the defense and such

Yeah, and we can't get rid of his "partnership" with Enrique either :rolleyes:

Which looked terrible yesterday btw. Barton - Simpson looks far more clinical atm.

That's because that whole partnership thing was always just Enrique covering the entire left flank.

Barton and Danny has got a proper partnership going, Danny makes runs to free up space for Barton, Barton knows where he's running in case he wants to play him in. At the same time, Barton helps Simpson defensively all the time, not just when he fancies it.

:sadnod:

Hmm. Don't understand the clamour for a right sided midfielder given Barton's form, Gosling's near return to fitness (because that's certainly where he's played most) and the fact that Routledge and Jonas can both play there adequately.

If he displaces Barton from the right sided berth then it's lunacy.

Agree completely. We don't need a right-sided midfielder, but if Larsson's coming in to act as cover for Barton then it's a fantastic move imo. So long as he's exactly that.

As you say, it'd be absolutely doolally to remove Barton from a role he's performing exceptionally well in.

Hmm. Don't understand the clamour for a right sided midfielder given Barton's form, Gosling's near return to fitness (because that's certainly where he's played most) and the fact that Routledge and Jonas can both play there adequately.

Agree completely. We don't need a right-sided midfielder, but if Larsson's coming in to act as cover for Barton then it's a fantastic move imo. So long as he's exactly that.

As you say, it'd be absolutely doolally to remove Barton from a role he's performing exceptionally well in.

But where's the suggestion that he's coming in to replace Barton? We need more than one player to every position and Routledge isn't rated by most. People just like to complain sometimes :laugh:

But where's the suggestion that he's coming in to replace Barton? We need more than one player to every position and Routledge isn't rated by most. People just like to complain sometimes :laugh:

It's just Pardew's obvious desire for a right-midfielder, and the fact he's reverted Barton back to the middle on occassion. I don't understand why, especially after his quotes of us needing good crossers in the side (which JB is), he'd want to replace him. In that case - why in the fuck isn't he trying to replace Jonas? Not saying this is definitely what Pardew's up to, but it seems so. Was he going to sign Bentley or Beckham to sit on the bench? ???

It's just Pardew's obvious desire for a right-midfielder, and the fact he's reverted Barton back to the middle on occassion. I don't understand why, especially after his quotes of us needing good crossers in the side (which JB is), he'd want to replace him. Not saying he definitely is, but it seems so. Was he going to sign Bentley or Beckham to sit on the bench? ???

I doubt he ever wanted Beckham like.

But people have said he's quite reasonable on the left too havn't they? Is he happy to play there, also?

I think so, yes. It's effectively what we're doing with Jonas now.

It's just Pardew's obvious desire for a right-midfielder, and the fact he's reverted Barton back to the middle on occassion. I don't understand why, especially after his quotes of us needing good crossers in the side (which JB is), he'd want to replace him. Not saying he definitely is, but it seems so. Was he going to sign Bentley or Beckham to sit on the bench? ???

Name-dropping for the hell of it, then. The only players we've been heavily linked with, bar Keane, have been RWers. We don't need one to come into the first eleven.

Name-dropping for the hell of it, then. The only players we've been heavily linked with, bar Keane, have been RWers. We don't need one to come into the first eleven.

But didn't he admit that he wasn't signing first teamers in this window? That it was strength in depth that he was after. With all of the talk of Routledge leaving, couple with HBA coming back for the left hand side and Barton not going to be playing every single game for the rest of time, I can see why he'd want a RW.

Larsson is a very good squad player, will fit in well on the left and can replace Barton when needed on the right.

But didn't he admit that he wasn't signing first teamers in this window? That it was strength in depth that he was after. With all of the talk of Routledge leaving, couple with HBA coming back for the left hand side and Barton not going to be playing every single game for the rest of time, I can see why he'd want a RW.

Larsson is a very good squad player, will fit in well on the left and can replace Barton when needed on the right.

I ask you again... do you think he'd have signed Bentley or Beckham to sit on the bench? He's openly admitted that, to some degree, he's enquired about both of them. Do you think they'd have agreed to those plans?

He's after a right-winger to play on the right-wing, that's as plain as day to me. If he wanted Larsson on the left, he wouldn't bother, he'd go after a left-winger.

If i'm wrong, great. As you say, Larsson would be a brilliant option to have in the squad.

I ask you again... do you think he'd have signed Bentley or Beckham to sit on the bench? He's openly admitted that, to some degree, he's enquired about either of them. Do you think they'd have agreed to those plans?

He's after a right-winger to play on the right-wing, that's as plain as day to me. If he wanted Larsson on the left, he wouldn't bother, he'd go after a left-winger.

If i'm wrong, great.

I don't think the Beckham stuff was ever serious, or that he even enquired after him so I won't even contemplate that. The Bentley one, yes I think he could have been signing him, no to 'sit on the bench every week', but to introduce a bit of squad competition, and to switch one of Bentley/Barton to left. Now I actually doubt Bentley would have agreed to it, so we'd never have got him anyway.

I can't think of any available left wingers that we could get a similar price :dontknow:

I ask you again... do you think he'd have signed Bentley or Beckham to sit on the bench? He's openly admitted that, to some degree, he's enquired about either of them. Do you think they'd have agreed to those plans?

If i'm wrong, great.

I don't think the Beckham stuff was ever serious, or that he even enquired after him so I won't even contemplate that. The Bentley one, yes I think he could have been signing him, no to 'sit on the bench every week', but to introduce a bit of squad competition, and to switch one of Bentley/Barton to left. Now I actually doubt Bentley would have agreed to it, so we'd never have got him anyway.

I can't think of any available left wingers that we could get a similar price :dontknow:

Well aye, that's why we're not scouts for Newcastle United.

I'll agree to disagree, Jonny. If Pardew's after someone to replace Barton, which i reckon could well be the case, it's a bad move. If not - great, cos Larsson would be an excellent cheap signing.

I'll agree to disagree, Jonny. If Pardew's after someone to replace Barton, which i reckon could well be the case, it's a bad move. If not - great, cos Larsson would be an excellent cheap signing.

:thup: Well that's where we essentially disagree. Maybe I'm just giving Pardew too much credit in thinking that he'd not replace one our best players atm - he's not that stupid surely?!

the problem most are looking at here is thinking its for the first team alone, when our problem this season has been a severe lack of cover for the first team, larsson in could play on the left but also cover for barton on the right if he was banned/injured or barton was needed in the centre

Hard to imagine Larsson playing on the left to be honest. 

at the start of the season it was hard to imagine barton on the right, in fact iirc we were all criticizing the decision by hughton when he was picked there for west ham, now its hard not to imagine barton on the right