Are we safe now? YES WE ARE!

oldtype

After the Stoke game I thought we were back in the thick of it, but having calmed down a bit I realise that we're all but mathematically safe. Look at the table:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9553/tablemt.jpg

Do people think Sunderland and Stoke are safe? Because if they are they we are too. We are 4 points clear, arguably 5 with that goal difference. That is a huge amount of points at this stage of the season. Those teams are below us for a reason, they're shite. The reality is about 2 of that bottom 3 will probably finish on about 36 points, certainly no more than about 38. That leaves 1 more spot, looking at those teams below us people really think we can go down? We wont lose our last 8 games, that is simply not going to happen, and if you believe it is then you need to stop being so pessimistic. I think the 18th place team will finish on around 38 or 39 points, which we could well have come 5pm tomorrow.

We're still seeing out the season, we're not going down.

That's basically my view Decky, it's scarier than it was but still would require a lot of teams to out-perform us by quite a lot.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FormGuide

I know we're not in good form, but we still have the fewest losses of the bottom 7 teams in that form guide. I don't think we're 'safe', and I'm still sweating about relegation, but on balance we're good enough to pick up the 3-6 more points we'll need to survive. There are a lot of games left.

Also, the form guide shows that we've picked up a point per game over last 6 games... which if continued would give us another 8 points to make 44.

And we have a much better goal difference than everyone else at the bottom.

This is true.

Was just playing Devil's advocate by showing how many of the teams below us were miles above us on the form table.

Also, the form guide shows that we've picked up a point per game over last 6 games... which if continued would give us another 8 points to make 44.

And we have a much better goal difference than everyone else at the bottom.

This is true.

Was just playing Devil's advocate by showing how many of the teams below us were miles above us on the form table.

Don't get me wrong, I'm scared, I just think that opinion on here is massively negative at the moment because we've lost two games in a row.

Guest Roger Kint

14-1

They would be tremendous odds to take but we are nowhere near being that safe. Who's offering 14's?

edit..

Bloody hell, 12/1 on Ladbrokes. I'll be having a ten spot on that. Wolves 3/1 just to win. Nice double.

Paddy Power offering 14's

Guest Roger Kint

We play 5 of those teams below us before the end of the season too. We should still be looking up the table really, the top 10 finish is definitely still on.

Be very disappointing given whats left for us to end up on less than 45 tbh. 3 very winnable home games and a few opportunities away to pick up a few draws at least. That will probably put us 12th at least seeing as how tight it is. With luck i agree 10th could be on.

Guest icemanblue

We should also, at least, break even. That's far better than any kind of European qualification, or silverware!  :celb:

The form table is true of now, but I doubt they'll keep that consistent form up. Otherwise they wouldn't be near/in the bottom three in the first place.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6846589,00.html

Nearly half of skysports.com readers believe Wigan Athletic are most likely to be relegated from this season's Premier League, but the remainder appear split.

The uncertainty surrounding this season's relegation battle has been replicated by readers, with only two clubs - Wigan and Wolverhampton Wanderers - polling more than 10 per cent of the vote.

Forty-nine per cent of the 15,000 readers who took part in the poll believe bottom-of-the-table Wigan will go down, making them clear favourites; but even Wolves, with 11 per cent, are no guarantee to go down with our readers.

Fierce rivals West Brom are third with seven per cent, while four more teams polled between six and seven per cent, reflecting how tight this year's relegation battle is.

Blackburn, Blackpool, West Ham and Birmingham make up that contingent, while Aston Villa and Newcastle garnered four and three per cent of the vote respectively.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6846589,00.html

Nearly half of skysports.com readers believe Wigan Athletic are most likely to be relegated from this season's Premier League, but the remainder appear split.

The uncertainty surrounding this season's relegation battle has been replicated by readers, with only two clubs - Wigan and Wolverhampton Wanderers - polling more than 10 per cent of the vote.

Forty-nine per cent of the 15,000 readers who took part in the poll believe bottom-of-the-table Wigan will go down, making them clear favourites; but even Wolves, with 11 per cent, are no guarantee to go down with our readers.

Fierce rivals West Brom are third with seven per cent, while four more teams polled between six and seven per cent, reflecting how tight this year's relegation battle is.

Blackburn, Blackpool, West Ham and Birmingham make up that contingent, while Aston Villa and Newcastle garnered four and three per cent of the vote respectively.

No doubt RTG will have had a campaign to vote for us too.

Guest sicko2ndbest

17th place needs to get to 40 points to topple us with our goal difference. That means the current bottom 3 need 8 points from 7 games.

Cant see it

Safe!