Outstanding. So thats:

£18m

£6m to Spurs

£4m for Onuoha

£2m for Elmo

£4m for Mensah or a CB

£2m to replace £30m worth of Strikers in Bent and Welbeck

Stonking deal :lol:

Tbf if selling bent means they can sign all of there loan players, who are all 1st team regulars, the it's a pretty good deal. Just looks s*** as there already at the club :lol:

So they end up as they are, with 44% less goals....Good deal?

If you were to look at it in a completely ilogical way... Then aye I suppose.

If they do get the full 24 mill and buy Mensah, Onuoha and Elmo permanantly aswell as a half decent striker then it's a good deal in my opinion (they have no chance of getting Wellbeck).

Bent wanted to leave and thats pretty much shown in his performances and they've gettin an exelent price for him, no doub there squad will look worse off than it is now, but thats more a downside of Sunderlands loan policy, rather than this deal imo.

Thing is though Hans, if they'd kept Bent their summer budget would have been to keep their loanees and buy one or two more, now however they get to buy their loan players with the added pressure of having to replace a 15 to 20 goal a season man. That's going to cost money and won't be guaranteed even if they do spend big.

What's all this stuff with mackems saying 'after all we did for you'? What about what he did for them? He was much more prolific than anyone expected when he signed, offered them excellent value for money and, when the chips were down and everyone else was hiding he stepped up and carried the team.

Because he scores a lot of goals in a mackem side that struggles to find them?

So do you think he's worth £18m?

He's not worth £18M but the fact that their manager has been shafted, the impact it will have on his team mates and that once again it's proven that Sunderland find it very difficult to attract and then keep top players despite doing relatively well this season will have an impact on the business much bigger than £18M.

I'm sure Quinn and Co. would prefer that this debacle had never happened even at £18M.

Think it's similar to the Carroll situation here. He's not worth that much in a flat market but to Sunderland, he's probably worth more. The fact the mackems believe this sale will single handedly fund a major squad strenghtening is also wrong considering it'll do little more than secure the rest of the players they already have (bar Welbeck).

Ultimately, he's worth whatever Villa were prepared to pay for him but from subjectively, yes, I think he is worth every penny. He's consistently scored goals in the past few years and although it may take a little while to accept "Darren Bent: £18m - eh?", the stats don't lie. Couple that with Villa's particular need for goals then there's no surprise they were willing to splash considerable cash for him.

Sunderland have got a fair price.

Ultimately, he's worth whatever Villa were prepared to pay for him but from subjectively, yes, I think he is worth every penny. He's consistently scored goals in the past few years and although it may take a little while to accept "Darren Bent: £18m - eh?", the stats don't lie. Couple that with Villa's particular need for goals then there's no surprise they were willing to splash considerable cash for him.

you'll have to completly change your style to accomodate him.

I think he'll suit Houllier's preferred style of play very well, i.e. 4-5-1 defensive set up relying on counter attack football.

I think he'll suit Houllier's preferred style of play very well, i.e. 4-5-1 defensive set up relying on counter attack football.

agreed

Agreed. As is talked about widely, he doesn't seem to successfully link up with a strike partner so yes, there is that issue, but at Villa iirc they usually stick with one main striker and have others try to support him. This will suit Bent. Barring injury, he'll probably get 1 in 2 for Villa; could well hit double figures before the season is out.