John Carver

Guest neesy111

The thing is though, to state the blindingly obvious, Newcastle is not London.  There is a limited number of "events" to go to locally.  Watching Premier League football in a large stadium remains a big draw.  For example businesses who wish to entertain in Newcastle, where else do you take clients for a day out?

Gosforth Park has very little quality racing.  The Northumberland Plate is the biggest event the course has, but it is a handicap and not a Group race of any sort.  People enjoy the day out but it is not high quality action.

Kingston Park is periodically half empty, and does attract a different sort of supporter, but it does not feel like a big event in the same way a 50,000 full stadium does.

Whitley Warriors at the ice rink?  Newcastle Eagles at Northumbria Uni?  The dogs at Brough Park? 

Eddie Hearn is brining a (terrible) boxing card to Newcastle in April which will be live on Sky, headlined by a commonwealth title fight.  We rarely get decent boxing in Newcastle.

Obviously there are bands and stuff at the various venues, from your Nick Minaj at the arena to Wu Tang Clan at the acadedemy.  Personally it is rare that an act comes to Newcastle that I want to see.

The bottom line is if you live in Newcastle, and have cash to splurge on a day out with the lads, where do you go?  NUFC remains the go to option for many, and will continue to do so.

This is nonsense iyam. Outside of sports there are endless different events that I see listed that I'd go to in a heartbeat. Most of them revolve around eating/drinking, but that's just fine with me.

:lol: apparently said in his presser that the pressure is on Everton, with none on us and that we "have to go there and express ourselves."

5-0 home win, then.

He's probably right considering the state of our club.  We've achieved all of our aims for the season, the only 'pressure' each year is to avoid relegation.

Guest waterbottle

I see nothing wrong in that statement by Carver....

If he fails to deliver on this, then it'd make sense to have a go at him, but why before the game has even happened?

Guest waterbottle

If he fails to deliver on this, then it'd make sense to have a go at him, but why before the game has even happened?

Because he's f***ing s***. f*** off.

All right, staying away from this thread till we win... :)

Because he's f***ing s***. f*** off.

All right, staying away from this thread till we win... :)

It barely makes a blind bit of difference if we win / lose RE: this dipstick's suitability for our head coach position.

I think Pardew Carver is a calamity, but I can show you Guardiola and Cruyff coming out with similar quotes before Barça games.

EDIT: Corrected NUFC's coach name, damn Freudian slip :lol:

But surely there's never really any pressure on Barca? Just go out there and play.

We're shit, hardly winning anything these days and the fans are getting unsettled. How is there no pressure on us?

The man is a complete and utter tit.

This particular quote is alright, every coach wants to take the pressure off.

But the quote is for the fans - he thinks that him saying that is going to get the fans to think "aye, right, not gonna win anyway are we, let's just be happy to keep it down to a few"?

Actually, that's probably the case.

It might be, I don't know, might just be standard increase pressure on opponent while reducing pressure on you. Don't care either way mind.

Bet every club we face is feeling the massive pressure......

Oh I know, obviously we're a soft touch. But the manager can't really say that.

Guest Recoba

The thing is though, to state the blindingly obvious, Newcastle is not London.  There is a limited number of "events" to go to locally.  Watching Premier League football in a large stadium remains a big draw.  For example businesses who wish to entertain in Newcastle, where else do you take clients for a day out?

Gosforth Park has very little quality racing.  The Northumberland Plate is the biggest event the course has, but it is a handicap and not a Group race of any sort.  People enjoy the day out but it is not high quality action.

Kingston Park is periodically half empty, and does attract a different sort of supporter, but it does not feel like a big event in the same way a 50,000 full stadium does.

Whitley Warriors at the ice rink?  Newcastle Eagles at Northumbria Uni?  The dogs at Brough Park? 

Eddie Hearn is brining a (terrible) boxing card to Newcastle in April which will be live on Sky, headlined by a commonwealth title fight.  We rarely get decent boxing in Newcastle.

Obviously there are bands and stuff at the various venues, from your Nick Minaj at the arena to Wu Tang Clan at the acadedemy.  Personally it is rare that an act comes to Newcastle that I want to see.

The bottom line is if you live in Newcastle, and have cash to splurge on a day out with the lads, where do you go?  NUFC remains the go to option for many, and will continue to do so.

This is nonsense iyam. Outside of sports there are endless different events that I see listed that I'd go to in a heartbeat. Most of them revolve around eating/drinking, but that's just fine with me.

Solipsistic.  There may be plenty of events that you see that you would go to, but I would bet that these are relatively niche events.

Think of people who only eat in chain eateries, the sort of people who make the Gate a success.  Think of corporate hospitality. 

Yes, a bloke who's favourite eatery is Nando's may venture into a museum once a year.  A business may sponsor a music event at the Sage.  A great many will continue to see Premier League football as "the" go to attraction in Newcastle.

The club has also shown flexibility with regards to pricing and half seasn/five game ticket deals recently.  I think being nimble in this way has kept attendances high.

I genuinely cannot see attendances dropping off, the pool of people willing to go to the match is so great.  The club actually had to build more executive boxes last season because of a waiting list, and can continue to charge circa £30k per season.

As far as the club is concerned, if you are upset, then goodbye, we have plenty more who will fill your seat...