John Carver

Guest neesy111

f***ing hell, Let Santon go because we have two many players to fit  :lol:

Not a yes man folks  :lol:

Mental comments that will appeal to one person only Fat Mike. Surprised he isn't complaining about the squad being too big.

Mental comments that will appeal to one person only Fat Mike. Surprised he isn't complaining about the squad being too big.

too > two :anguish:

He's clearly making his play to be manager by going the Alan Pardew route of licking Mikes ass to the extreme.

He's clearly making his play to be manager by going the Alan Pardew route of licking Mikes ass to the extreme.

Definitely, sickening to watch. Wonder what all his family looking down on him have to say about it :lol:

Just read on Facebook that he claimed that he invented Waddle's mullet on Soccer Saturday - wtf?!

Got a perm when he played for us and the top fell out. Waddle loved the look and the rest is, fairly dull, history.

Came across well enough, hope he does al'reet, but he's about as far away as you can get from the revolutionary we might have hoped for.

Ashamed to say he came across quite well. He still doesn't see why he isn't qualified for the job but I don't think he is smart enough to bullshit the fans like his predecessor.

I find that hard to believe, every interview I've seen he's come across as a gormless nob.

John Carver is backing Newcastle midfielder Remy Cabella to become as big a noise on the pitch as he is off it.

The 24-year-old was signed from Montpellier during the summer to help plug the gap left by Yohan Cabaye as the Magpies finally got their hands on a man they had been trailing for some time.

Cabella found the going tough during his initial few months on Tyneside, with then manager Alan Pardew admitting the France international needed to get to grips with the physical side of Premier League football before he could fully display his talent.

However, his performance in a 2-0 defeat at Chelsea on January 10 suggested a corner had been turned, and his first goal for the club in last weekend's 3-0 victory at Hull further illustrated the progress he has made.

Asked if he had seen Cabella grow as a person in recent weeks, head coach Carver said: "He's always been a lively character around the place and is a really pleasant guy.

"He picked up the English very quickly and he'll always come in our office for a chat in the morning. He's always been loud -- sometimes too loud, irritatingly loud.

"You've got to see his silver trainers -- he's a weird dresser! But that's fine, he's a good personality to have around."

Cabella was touted as the man to help bring the invention to the team which was lost when Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa departed, for markedly different reasons, and the signs are that he is starting to do that.

However, Carver was quick to steer clear of comparing him with the talented, but unpredictable Ben Arfa in particular as he prepared for Sunday's home clash with Stoke.

He said: "They are two totally different players. He's now starting to produce things which [chief scout] Graham [Carr] saw -- and the fans are starting to see that.

"But with these flair players, it has to be consistent, and that is difficult. He is starting to show some good traits. But work ethic is massive -- if you haven't got that it doesn't matter how much ability you have, you won't be in my team.

"He's starting to show things now -- and he's Remy Cabella, he's not Hatem Ben Arfa. He has a different style and a different personality.

"You have to keep hitting them a stick sometimes, but everybody reacts differently to a rollocking. You have to understand which ones you can and cannot do that with.

"Hatem was one that you couldn't take very far. Personally, I respond to criticism -- that drives me on harder."

Sunday's game sees the 10th-placed visitors head into battle with the team lying immediately below them, a very different situation to the one in which the Magpies found themselves when they headed for the Britannia Stadium in September with the anti-Pardew campaign in full swing.

Carver said: "It was a strange situation -- I've never experienced that in my life. What happened at Southampton wasn't anywhere as near as intimidating as what it was at Stoke that night.

"I had a real empty feeling inside and I wasn't sure where we were going to go. But I did trust and believe in the manager because I knew how strong he was.

"I knew he could deal with it and that gave me strength. I saw him not running away from the situation and that gave us the belief to see it through.

"He didn't walk away and we went on that terrific run from that point. It was one of the lowest points of the season, absolutely."

Defender Paul Dummett and midfielders Gabriel Obertan and Ryan Taylor will return to the squad after injury, but Siem de Jong and Rolando Aarons will not be risked as they close in on comebacks.

http://www.espnfc.us/newcastle-united/story/2287713/john-carver-backs-remy--cabella-to-be-a-star-for-newcastle

i'll say one thing about carver so far (all else aside), he actually talks like he's met and has a relationship with the players....compare this to the shit we got from pardew, it was either about him or absolutely fuck all

i honestly can't remember anything this 'personal' from pardle like

He's prepared to give the fans an insight into the dressing room, and honesty about his feelings but he's naive. It's refreshing compared to Pardews self-congratulatory bullshit but Carver is hopelessly out of his depth.

He's prepared to give the fans an insight into the dressing room, and honesty about his feelings but he's naive. It's refreshing compared to Pardews self-congratulatory bullshit but Carver is hopelessly out of his depth.

of course he is, but as you say on a certain level it's pretty refreshing - the more i think about pardew i'm struggling to think of him talking about his own players beyond injury, cost us the game, isn't up for sale etc.

Moving away from his talent in the dugout/on the training pitch - that post summarises his constant media presence quite well. You would think the board recognise how much less PR savvy he is than their last man. Something to cling onto.

Aye, there's a good reason why managers don't bare their soul and reveal every detail.

Some of the "old boy" characters get away with it, like Redknapp, and that's why they become media favourites. When Carvers hands are tied behind his back and he's bent over by the club, he will soon collapse like a pack of cards. It's easy when you have a nice win under the belt but when's forced to play players he doesn't like or has to defend the club's decision making, that's when we will see the real John Carver.

Aye, I just don't think all this "let me tell you..." gunk has a place in the modern game. Most of us saw through Pardew's bullshit but he was undeniably savvy and collected in front of a camera. In terms of saying anything remotely negative about the board, I can only recall him slipping once during his entire time here, sat on the Goals On Sunday sofa, but never again. Carver though, you can definitely picture him losing the plot in an interview, because he's a different sort of man to the snake that was Pardew. Until then, though, he's toe-ing the party line just as his predecessor did and my respect for him will wain with every passing soundbite. Calling Sissoko a new signing, for example - fuck off, man. He's come out with the cliche joke right there.

I've said this before, but it's a shame because he's been involved in the club during moments where I've felt the most proud.