Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

still seething at dropping those 4 extra points in injury time against Sunderland and Spurs :(

This

Think the 4.0 comback compensated for that although only gaining a point as towards losing 4.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

still seething at dropping those 4 extra points in injury time against Sunderland and Spurs :(

This

Very much agreed.

For the first time this season I now think we'll finish higher than 17th. I can't remember a season quite like this. Thrashings, a comeback from 4 nil down, currently the 6th best goal difference in the league and unbelievably we've won more away games than at home. Ridiculous

Credit to EVERYONE at the club

Better away record than Man Utd. :)

Most entertaining season since 02/03 in my opinion. Even back then it wasn't this dramatic, but in terms of excitement it's up there. I love that - for the first time in many years - I'm able to sit down in front of a game and always expect a worthy performance. From 2004 to our relegation a genuine performance away from home was a rarity, the other team would always break us down eventually and we'd look sort of gutless all the time. The battling character of this team is so refreshing, even more so taking into account that it has come back from a couple of major disappointments (losing CH, AC etc.). Long may it continue.

What an insane season this has been. Could we have wished for a better season to bounce back to the PL, though? So many teams underachieving, so all over place, and if we can grasp the chance by beating the expected teams to Europe, it would be amazing.

I always find it funny when teams go on about anting to make Europe, but when most of them get in the UEFA cup/Eurpoa league or whatever the call it these days. They don't give a shit about it and play weakened teams half the time.

For the record, if we still had a fit Andy Carroll, I think we would have a good shout at making 7th spot, because I really haven't seen too many teams outside of the top 5  who have been consisently better than us. And we've played both the current 6th and 7th clubs off the park each time we've played them so far.

Guest Tall Striker

FWIW i've just looked at the fixtures and there's no reason why we can't finish 7th, except really for potential injuries and lack of strikers. Losing those 4 points in injury time is a bit of a shitter, but if someone had offeref us 35 points in February when we came up we'd have snapped the proverbial hand off.

Funnily enough I think next season, or failing that the one after, could and should see us strongly challenging for a Europa league place.

Not through us splashing the cash - although the Carroll money plus whatever the budget would have been if he'd not been sold, must be used to plug the gaps we've got, but through the fact that no clubs other than Man Utd/City/Chelsea and possibly Arsenal will be spending big.

So IMHO it won't be us catching everyone up, it'll be most of the rest having to come down to our recent spending history levels - balancing the books.

Once all the teams, bar those above, have to work within their income/turnover restraints then I can see us looking up and not down.

*disclaimer*

The Ashley-factor has not been taken into account in the above scenario.

Guest Tall Striker

Funnily enough I think next season, or failing that the one after, could and should see us strongly challenging for a Europa league place.

Not through us splashing the cash - although the Carroll money plus whatever the budget would have been if he'd not been sold, must be used to plug the gaps we've got, but through the fact that no clubs other than Man Utd/City/Chelsea and possibly Arsenal will be spending big.

So IMHO it won't be us catching everyone up, it'll be most of the rest having to come down to our recent spending history levels - balancing the books.

Once all the teams, bar those above, have to work within their income/turnover restraints then I can see us looking up and not down.

*disclaimer*

The Ashley-factor has not been taken into account in the above scenario.

Basically there's 7 European places every year. For the forseeable future 6 of them are relatuvely pre determined. Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool (assuming they splash a bit of cash this summer) and Spurs. Leaves 14 teams fighting for one place in the Europa League.

No reason why we can't be in there challenging for the next few years. Villa and Everton are in decline, sunderland are, well, sunderland, and then you have the cloggers like Blackburn and Stoke who'll do ok at home but more than likely not win 3 away games all season.

Interesting tidbit re: Europa League "money", Rosenborg ended up with minus £200k for playing in the league stage last year. :lol:

And the worst thing is that two of their most priced assets, Skjelbreid and Lustig are refusing to sign new contracts. So they have to sell them below real value.

If we get into Europe, at least it'll be consolation if I don't get into my masters programme in Canada. However, if I do get in, and we get into Europe, I'll be gutted to miss out on euro away days again!

If the second scenario occurs, it's quite simple. You don't do that piddly little masters crap.