Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

I'd rather avoid Europe this year if we don't go out and severely strengthen the squad (which we won't) If we divide our time and start messing up in the league the pressure is on, and it will be another manager out the door and more unrest amongst fans and players. I don't trust the club to use the chance of Europe properly, we would have to take full advantage in terms of bringing in European quality players and get rid of the championship trash, but Ashley just will not commit to such a big job...even if he did he'd probably get cold feet about Pardew spending the money required and sack him for a continental manager he hasn't got a clue about.

The only way i'd want Europe this season is if it meant taking it off the mackems on the last day of the season, that would be so fuking funny.  :lol:

TBH getting europe would almost certainly cause Tiote and Enrique to stay as well as attracting decent players, so I'd take it and hope that we get knocked out in the group stages so that we don't get fatigued.

Seriously man. I can't believe what I'm reading.

TBH getting europe would almost certainly cause Tiote and Enrique to stay as well as attracting decent players, so I'd take it and hope that we get knocked out in the group stages so that we don't get fatigued.

Aye if we're in, we're in, and getting knocked out of a tournament can't be the greatest tactic for the old confidencemeter.

Guest EastEndGeordie

I say that for good reason 1)We still have only come up this season. 2) Teams literally become decimated after a good run (look at Fulham).

Obviously I wouldn't be praying that we get knocked out :lol:. But if we were to invest heavily then we could handle but with this squad would you honestly say they could handle it, ecspecially considering our lack of depth?

I don't have many 'dreams', but I've always wanted to follow us away in Europe. Always too young last time round. Our fixtures are decent, however I don't think it will happen. Everton or Bolton for me will get 7th

Exactly same here, finishing uni this year and have no plans for next year, already dreaming

I'd rather avoid Europe this year if we don't go out and severely strengthen the squad (which we won't) If we divide our time and start messing up in the league the pressure is on, and it will be another manager out the door and more unrest amongst fans and players. I don't trust the club to use the chance of Europe properly, we would have to take full advantage in terms of bringing in European quality players and get rid of the championship trash, but Ashley just will not commit to such a big job...even if he did he'd probably get cold feet about Pardew spending the money required and sack him for a continental manager he hasn't got a clue about.

The only way i'd want Europe this season is if it meant taking it off the mackems on the last day of the season, that would be so fuking funny.  :lol:

I pretty much agree with this. If we qualify, great, but I just have no particular desire to play in the Europa League right now and I don't think it'll do any favours for our league position which is what really matters to me.

Imho, one of the important things about playing in Europe is getting your name out there again. It says your club is going places, and it will help attract better players. The UEFA Cup was a great springboard for Villarreal and Sevilla.

As always, you are spot on.

Players will look at us and think that we've gone from the championship to qualifying for Europe in one season, they will see us a team on the up, especially if we invest the £35m.

I still don't think we'll get there mind, but once again, it's where we should be looking at the moment.

I say that for good reason 1)We still have only come up this season. 2) Teams literally become decimated after a good run (look at Fulham).

Obviously I wouldn't be praying that we get knocked out :lol:. But if we were to invest heavily then we could handle but with this squad would you honestly say they could handle it, ecspecially considering our lack of depth?

As I say, if you do actually manage to qualify, of course it's a question of whether the funds are there to invest (Pardew has said there are, time will tell). However to say you've qualified for European competition is, IMO, a hugely influential card to play when chasing a player. If, and yes it's a big if, the funds are there then I expect your squad to be capable of managing the extra games. Also, I'm not really sure what you're getting at with your first reason?

I'm not going to say lets make it our aim, we stand a chance of getting into Europe and if get it then great, but if we do get then the club really must bring in not only first team players but also good squad players as well.

It shouldn't be our aim. our aim should be finish as well as we can, and if that means getting a European place then great, but lets not disappoint ourselves if we don't get it.

Guest EastEndGeordie

As I say, if you do actually manage to qualify, of course it's a question of whether the funds are there to invest (Pardew has said there are, time will tell). However to say you've qualified for European competition is, IMO, a hugely influential card to play when chasing a player. If, and yes it's a big if, the funds are there then I expect your squad to be capable of managing the extra games. Also, I'm not really sure what you're getting at with your first reason?

Neither do I :lol: I think I was going to say something pessimistic but ah screw it, NUFC fans can dream can't they? Bring on the Europa League.

First win in seven and we're only 2 points off a potential European spot.

Imagine how much better it could have been as well!

If we had Ben Arfa fully fit then I should imagine we would be 15 points ahead of Man Utd.  :fishing:

That poor home spell and the two injury-time equalisers against us (although I guess Wigan & Arsenal at home almost cancel those out) and we could easily be sitting in 6th now.