Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

Ifs and buts like. Every team has them. Performing well above the expected though, lets hope we don't suffer from second season syndrome.

Sufferers tend to be noobs to the prem.

True. Other teams will strengthen you'd think and we need to make sure we do too. Thus meaning at the least we stand still let alone move forward.

Too early to talk of Europe. For what it's worth, I'd fucking hate it if we qualified and did that 'play the reserves' shite which too many managers do these days. Would love to have another crack, just to make up for the Marseille and Sporting games.

This squad would get arseraped in Europe, obviously, and it'd be detrimental to our domestic campaign. But actually qualifying would provide us with a larger scope for more (and better) new players. It'd help us more than it would harm us. Plus we'd be back in Europe which would be fit. :)

We wouldn't get 'arseraped' in the Europa League, a lot of dross in it but this small squad would certainly struggle with the extra games.

That's what i meant, just for the record. I meant purely from a fatigue perspective. There's no doubt we'd have a good shot at getting to the knockout stages given some of the rubbish in the earlier rounds. But the squad isn't big enough to cope and would potentially get pretty knackered by March/April time.

It seems as though we have effectively lost possible European slot because of the Europa League rebranding.

Go on then. Why?  ???

Because when the Intertoto Cup was around the lowest place in the League someone could qualify for Europe was 7th with an additional Intertoto Cup spot, now the lowest place in the can qualify for Europe is 7th.

Still entirely focused on staying up.

I fucking loved Europe, love playing shit part timers from countries I had barely heard of, loved ITV Toon and channel 5 with Colin Murray. Loved all that shite :blush: :lol:

Absolutely. The main catch for me, with the last three Waffa campaigns, is that i've believed every single time that we could win it. I can't say that for any other competition... i was still a little bit young with our consecutive FA Cup runs. I know the Europa League has improved in quality but Boro and Fulham both made it to the final and were mediocre, to say the least, in the league. That year Boro got to the final - fucking hell - soul-destroying. Some of the absolute shite they played, man alive.

Still entirely focused on staying up.

I fucking loved Europe, love playing shit part timers from countries I had barely heard of, loved ITV Toon and channel 5 with Colin Murray. Loved all that shite :blush: :lol:

Absolutely. The main catch for me, with the last three Waffa campaigns, is that i've believed every single time that we could win it. I can't say that for any other competition... i was still a little bit young with our consecutive FA Cup runs. I know the Europa League has improved in quality but Boro and Fulham both made it to the final and were mediocre, to say the least, in the league. That year Boro got to the final - fucking hell - soul-destroying. Some of the absolute shite they played, man alive.

Aye, they got 9K in for the first few games then complained when they only got 9K tickets for the final saying they didn't have enough for all the loyal fans who went to every UEFA Cup game.

Also that Geordies at home watching on TV banner, fuck were are the bastards now? At home watching Premiership football on the TV is my guess.

Would love us to get Europe. The financial benefits would be great and European nights at SJP are great. If, and I know its a big if, we add to the squad we could make decent progress and do ok in the league.

:lol:

'kin hell. :lol:

?

Not at you, dude. It was just an indulgent and incredulous guffaw at how the newly promoted side, the side Ashley is, according to some, asset stripping, the post Carroll, post Hughton car crash of a team is now being talked about in terms possibly reaching a European spot.

/can't see it myself, but great to see some positivity. :thup:

Whether it happens or not, it's a testament to what an incredible season we've had.

This is the year we'll be talking about for years and years. So many highs and lows it's unreal. Europe would be great, but after survival everything else is a bonus.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

I'm 100% concerned about staying in the league right now but I freaking love Europe. Just today I was telling my work mates that the Mid week Europe games were some of the best times of my life. Thinking positivly, being in Europe means attracting more/better players and keeping the ones we've got.