Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

Villa haven't even progressed to the group stage two years in the running. They aren't a valid example of European game congestion...

I wasn't saying they suffered from fixture congestion, they didn't benefit from being in Europe.

The Europa Cup is a complete turd. Certainly wouldn't want the distraction of that piece of sh*t tournament in the unlikely even we qualify.

Inter, Juve, Hamburg, Atletico, Espanyol, Spurs, Lyon amongst the teams that would qualify for the Europa League if the leagues ended now. Hardly turd.

Villa haven't even progressed to the group stage two years in the running. They aren't a valid example of European game congestion...

I wasn't saying they suffered from fixture congestion, they didn't benefit from being in Europe.

It was of no benefit at all to us.

The first year was nice, did ok, had a decent run, but I think it was the novelty. Watching us play MSK Zilina on a Wednesday night in November isn't that much fun, mind.

O'Neill then showed what he thought of it when we played CSKA.

The problem is that the EL lasts FOREVER. That season, we started in the Intertoto, so it went on even longer, and nobody really cares about it.

Incidentally, there are currently 6 points between 16th and 17th in the league, which is insane. I haven't even entirely discounted our chances of finishing 6th.

The Europa Cup is a complete turd. Certainly wouldn't want the distraction of that piece of sh*t tournament in the unlikely even we qualify.

As a tournament, it only is watchable in the latter stages. The ridiculous group is a poorly attended chore. It was a far more exciting tournament as a straight two legged knock out.

It was of no benefit at all to us.

The first year was nice, did ok, had a decent run, but I think it was the novelty. Watching us play MSK Zilina on a Wednesday night in November isn't that much fun, mind.

O'Neill then showed what he thought of it when we played CSKA.

The problem is that the EL lasts FOREVER. That season, we started in the Intertoto, so it went on even longer, and nobody really cares about it.

Incidentally, there are currently 6 points between 16th and 17th in the league, which is insane. I haven't even entirely discounted our chances of finishing 6th.

Needs to go back to straight knockout. UEFA have completely devalued the Europa/UEFA League/Cup with their constant meddling. The second chance scenario it provides for Champions League teams is a joke.

If we were to somehow get to the final of "that piece of shit tournament" I suppose you would still view it as a needless distraction?

Needs to go back to straight knockout. UEFA have completely devalued the Europa/UEFA League/Cup with their constant meddling. The second chance scenario it provides for Champions League teams is a joke.

I agree entirely.

Oh, I agree about the format thing. Dunno why they insisted in turning it into a CL lite, at least the different format gave a point to the UEFA Cup and made it exciting. UEFA's obsession with group stages is almost sexual in nature. The CL had TWO of them at one point FFS.

The second chance scenario it provides for Champions League teams is a joke.

I thought that was supposed to be abolished?

It's a shame. The old days of Champs League, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup were great. Now it's Champs League or nothing. The Europa League is largely worthless IMO, with even the domestic cups heavily devalued thanks to 2nd, 3rd and 4th getting Champs League (many clubs and fans would choose fourth place over League/FA Cup win)

Oh, I agree about the format thing. Dunno why they insisted in turning it into a CL lite, at least the different format gave a point to the UEFA Cup and made it exciting. UEFA's obsession with group stages is almost sexual in nature. The CL had TWO of them at one point FFS.

Quite pleased we fell in that one off season tbh, as we got more games out of it but any other year I'd say it was a joke. Somehow the Europa League must make UEFA more money through TV deals for more games or something. Joke either way and I don't think ever met anyone who's thought otherwise.

Obviously our current squad couldn't cope with the strains of both a domestic and a European campaign, but i think people are forgetting that, surely by getting to Europe - we'd have more grounds to build the squad? ??? We'd be more attractive a proposition for incoming players and it'd also convince some of our 'stars' to stick with us.

As someone said earlier, qualifying for Europe would do more good than bad imo.

Obviously our current squad couldn't cope with the strains of both a domestic and a European campaign, but i think people are forgetting that, surely by getting to Europe - we'd have more grounds to build the squad? ??? We'd be more attractive a proposition for incoming players and it'd also convince some of our 'stars' to stick with us.

As someone said earlier, qualifying for Europe would do more good than bad imo.

You'd generally think that, but remember the Ashley factor.

Do you not think we'll sign anyone in the summer then? We'll improve the squad, we have to. We did last January and we did in the summer - we will do again. And being in Europe will attract better players, plus give us more money to play with. Ashley will know the financial benefits of a good European campaign.

Nah, bollocks is it like that ;)

No player is going to give a shit about playing in the Europa League. Obviously, if you finish in the EL places, you're up the league, which makes you more appealling per se, but the very fact you're in the EL makes no difference.

You also don't need to build the squad to play in that competition, you just chuck the stiffs in.

I'm a season ticket holder and the Europa League was really the only time i ever got to see people like Steve Sidwell, Moustafa Salifou, Nicky Shorey play with any predictability.

It's a shame. The old UEFA Cup was miles better, as was the CWC, but with this shitty half arsed attempt at a tournament, they've done the ultimate and managed to come up with something that unites the fans, the clubs, the players AND the TV companies - none of them give a shit about it. The tv revenue even from a decent run is absolutely negligible.

I appreciate, incidentally, that Fulham clearly gave a shit when they got to the final, but the fact is, you start out in that competition facing about 200 games against any one of approximately 3000 sides, with that freaky group system where you dont even play each team in your group home and away, and you soon start thinking "hhmmmmm, Thursday night ..... best check if there's something on telly first".

Even when you have some good matches, it wears you down. Our first year back in it, I went to all our home games starting with Odense in the Intertoto in fucking July. Ajax was nice (their fans were incredible), and some of my mates did all the aways too and had a nice time, but by the end of it, most people just wanted it to end.

Do you not think we'll sign anyone in the summer then? We'll improve the squad, we have to. We did last January and we did in the summer - we will do again. And being in Europe will attract better players, plus give us more money to play with. Ashley will know the financial benefits of a good European campaign.

The money you get for winning the Europa League wouldn't pay the Coloccini transfer fee.

The group system is a load of fucking bollocks like. I agree that the CWC had become redundant and i'd argue that the CL is better for it, but the UEFA Cup was a mint tournament and they're ripped the soul out of it. That said, i did enjoy being in it cos, as i said before, it's the only competition i know there's a genuine chance of beating a load of teams and doing well. It's still exciting when you (finally) get to the knockout.

The group stages surely must just be revenue-based?

The money you get for winning the Europa League wouldn't pay the Coloccini transfer fee.

Doesn't matter. It's still more gate receipts/TV revenue/'prize-money'.

Fulham earned a total of 10,010,114 for their run to the final.

So about 8m.

They would have got less than an extra £1 million if they had of won it.

Sunderland are probably already planning how to spend their EL money.

Reading RTG today, they seem to have decided they've finished in the top six.