Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would only use Nolan as a sub at home but start him away from home.. makes me laugh the "Nolan must play" when a lot are happy to drop Jonas.

Why?

Nolan is a fantastic captain who keeps things ticking along but also chips in with more than his fair share of goals.

Jonas, erm, can run the ball up the pitch and

Falls over.

But you can't take away the fact that Jonas makes us better defensively though. He and Enrique have a very good understanding and while I'd love Jonas to learn how to kick a ball I still wouldn't move him out of the team.

Right now we can't afford to move him. I feel that Ben Arfa would be much more successful centrally, and yes he was just immense on the left hand side against Everton but to disrupt the understanding between Jonas and Jose right now would be bad, wait until we offload Jonas in the summer ;)

I would only use Nolan as a sub at home but start him away from home.. makes me laugh the "Nolan must play" when a lot are happy to drop Jonas.

Jonas last assist was in mid October against Wigan. For a winger, that is a disgrace.

Jonas last assist was in mid October against Wigan. For a winger, that is a disgrace.

Not to mention the fact he's managed a solitary goal in about 60 PL games.

Not to mention the fact he's managed a solitary goal in about 60 PL games.

Yeah, but what about his "great understanding" with Enrique?

Jose would look a better player with a decent winger to link up with.

No doubt, but Ben Arfa barely speaks a word of English and I doubt that they will understand each other that well and be able to develop a great understanding during just a couple of weeks. And I'm agreeing with you about Jonas, I'd sell him if we got decent money in, but don't change something right now. We're on track to finish top half and challenging for that Europa League qualifier spot, why change it now?

These days when going forward Jose really reminds me of HBA, the way he takes a ton of little touches and can skin a man. He just looks a bit like him on the ball. It's weird.

No doubt, but Ben Arfa barely speaks a word of English and I doubt that they will understand each other that well and be able to develop a great understanding during just a couple of weeks. And I'm agreeing with you about Jonas, I'd sell him if we got decent money in, but don't change something right now. We're on track to finish top half and challenging for that Europa League qualifier spot, why change it now?

I never said i'd sell Jonas. I just don't want him in the team when our options return.

Jonas is a half decent outlet. He can hold the ball up and relieve pressure, win free kicks etc... However, he isn't the type of winger we need if we want to push forward as a club. His work down the left flank with Enrique was very important last season, and he's had the odd moment this season, but if Ben Arfa returns with even a degree of his previous ability, I can't see any justification for keeping Jonas in the team ahead of him.

As much as Jonas is infuriating, he's vital in the short term. Whenever he doesn't play our ball retention is awful and we have no-one to run with the ball and allow the defence time to get out. He's another of those like Nolan who on their own is a bit rubbish but is quite important to the team and it shows when he's missing. I'd be looking to phase him out of being an automatic starter as of next season, in terms of moving players on he ranks fairly lowly on the list.

:thup:

As much as Jonas is infuriating, he's vital in the short term. Whenever he doesn't play our ball retention is awful and we have no-one to run with the ball and allow the defence time to get out. He's another of those like Nolan who on their own is a bit rubbish but is quite important to the team and it shows when he's missing. I'd be looking to phase him out of being an automatic starter as of next season, in terms of moving players on he ranks fairly lowly on the list.

:thup:

Definitely agree with you guys on this one, highlighting 'short-term'!

Guest Tall Striker

Aye, because English is José Enrique's first language :lol:

Aye, because English is José Enrique's first language :lol:

:lol: No, what I meant was that he could at least build an understanding as he knows a little bit of english. With Jonas it's pure spanish, and therefore easier.

I mean imagine Ben Arfa and Jose speaking French and Spanish to each other.

Ben Arfa: Passe moi le ballon!

Jose: Que? De que hablas hijo de puta.

Ben Arfa: Hijo de puta? T'un fils de pute.

Boom and they starting fighting, its just obviously going to be disastrous. It's just better to let Jose tell Jonas how beautiful his hair is.

Rubbish. Jose had the easiest afternoon of his career against Everton with Ben Arfa down the left because Ben Arfa was busy murdering Everton every time he touched the ball.

it's also worth noting Ben Arfa spent a lot of time in the Stoke home game wandering and roaming around the pitch, certainly not dedicated to his left wing spot. Which is why he should be used centrally imo,

Rubbish. Jose had the easiest afternoon of his career against Everton with Ben Arfa down the left because Ben Arfa was busy murdering Everton every time he touched the ball.

Again, remember that it was also way to easy as they had no threat on their right flank. But again play Tottenham with Lennon - Hutton, Man Utd with Rafael - Nani, Arsenal with Walcott - Sagna and it will be much harder.

Trust me I'd love to see Ben Arfa and Jose working together, and while i believe he'd be more effective (might be wrong) centrally behind the striker theres no doubt that if they clicked they'd be the deadliest left flank in the Premier League.

Again, remember that it was also way to easy as they had no threat on their right flank. But again play Tottenham with Lennon - Hutton, Man Utd with Rafael - Nani, Arsenal with Walcott - Sagna and it will be much harder.

Trust me I'd love to see Ben Arfa and Jose working together, and while i believe he'd be more effective (might be wrong) centrally behind the striker theres no doubt that if they clicked they'd be the deadliest left flank in the Premier League.

It might be one of those cases then where we build the team to adapt to what Ben Arfa does, ala Ginola. Because if shows the kind of form he did against Everton then we'll murder teams, especially at home.

In the case of Jonas, he links up well with Jose obviously, but remember Opta posting on twitter that he's only completed 15% of his crosses this season, which is fucking dire. He's very strong on the ball, quick and a decent passer. I'd be half tempted to experiment with him in the hole behind the front man next pre-season just to see if he could play there.

Guest Tall Striker

I fail to see how he'll improve us.. Better than nobody I suppose

You fail to see how he's better than Guthrie?