Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With a fully fit Ben Arfa, Tiote, Gosling, Barton, and Nolan, I struggle to find a place in the team for Ireland. A forward and a winger is clearly what we need at the moment, and Ireland doesn't really offer us anything we won't have by the end of next month. O'Hara would be a cheaper and better option if we just need cover.

Totally agree, sensible man :) I'm surprised O'Hara hasn't moved yet, he can't be happy warming the bench there at Spuds and showed enough at Pompey to have convinced someone to take a punt on him. Perhaps Spuds are being their usual selves and looking to screw clubs making a bid for him.

And how often willl all those players be on the pitch at the same time during 3 competitions ?

Look Ireland is not ideal, obviously there are many better midfielders out there, perhaps some even available if we are willing to spend big money. But given our budgetary constraints and super thin midfield squad with the likes Gosling (who we've only seen for 3 minutes) and Guthrie (who many said were not suitable for this level), Ireland will be a much needed body as he can play in more than one midfield position and even off the striker.

Guest bmoregeordie

With a fully fit Ben Arfa, Tiote, Gosling, Barton, and Nolan, I struggle to find a place in the team for Ireland. A forward and a winger is clearly what we need at the moment, and Ireland doesn't really offer us anything we won't have by the end of next month. O'Hara would be a cheaper and better option if we just need cover.

but i thought, according to you, we were getting adam johnson?

Guest bmoregeordie
There's 17 games left, we can limp through that period comfortably with the players we have covering for Nolan without adding this tool to our dressing room.

Do I think we are covered completely in our squad. No, I don't for a second think that and never said we were. We need to better utlise the small amount of money that appears to be available, get some cover in for Tiote, get in another wide player to fill the gap left by Routledge and/or bring in a striker who can complement Carroll. 

frankly, i'd be fine with another holding MF.

but if you play ireland off of carroll, there's a clear place for him in the starting 11.

Anyone who doesnt want Ireland (a proven quality midfielder) here on loan, with a point to prove, low risk and provides another option is fucking mental.

Other than the low risk part, that point to prove stuff is exactly what we said in the summer.

He's out of his comfort zone, unfortunately, and he's not handling it well. I get the feeling it would have been like this had he gone anywhere - anywhere that isn't Man City, that's the issue.

He's apparently dreadful in training, doesn't want to know. On more than one occasion, he's ruled himself out with iffy sounding illnesses - the last time it was a "virus" and the very same evening he was seen out boozing with Heskey and Ashley Young.

When he came here, someone on the City staff said he was in the top 5 percent in terms of talent there, but the bottom 5 mentally.

Houllier said that any loans out, the other club would have to pay all the wages, and that we'd rather players stayed in the stiffs rather than subsidise them to play somewhere else.

So, five months of Ireland = 70 x 4 x 5 = 1.4m, add on NI, and you're looking at 1.6m. On top of that, there's win bonuses etc etc etc. So, whilst it could be more expensive otherwise, it certainly isn't free.

He's only 24, he does have attacking flair and creativity, something we have nothing of without HBA. I would give him a chance on loan with an option to buy.

If he can recapture his best form he would be a quality addition, personal issues notwithstanding.

and there's the bottom line. Ireland has lost his way and it may well be he's a hopeless case, but our squad is desperately short of quality in midfield. Nolan has done well but he's only really effective from dead ball situations where he gets in good areas and has scored goals. Clubs in our position are only going to get quality players with baggage but maybe Pardew is the right sort of manager to get him back on the straight path?

Anyone who doesnt want Ireland (a proven quality midfielder) here on loan, with a point to prove, low risk and provides another option is fucking mental.

Other than the low risk part, that point to prove stuff is exactly what we said in the summer.

He's out of his comfort zone, unfortunately, and he's not handling it well. I get the feeling it would have been like this had he gone anywhere - anywhere that isn't Man City, that's the issue.

He's apparently dreadful in training, doesn't want to know. On more than one occasion, he's ruled himself out with iffy sounding illnesses - the last time it was a "virus" and the very same evening he was seen out boozing with Heskey and Ashley Young.

When he came here, someone on the City staff said he was in the top 5 percent in terms of talent there, but the bottom 5 mentally.

Houllier said that any loans out, the other club would have to pay all the wages, and that we'd rather players stayed in the stiffs rather than subsidise them to play somewhere else.

So, five months of Ireland = 70 x 4 x 5 = 1.4m, add on NI, and you're looking at 1.6m. On top of that, there's win bonuses etc etc etc. So, whilst it could be more expensive otherwise, it certainly isn't free.

he was basically forced out of Man City to Villa as part of the Milner deal. He wasn't happy there from the start. Apparently he would be happy to come to Newcastle.

and don't kid yourself, there is no way any club would pay the whole £70k. Villa will have to pay some of it and will end up doing so

There's 17 games left, we can limp through that period comfortably with the players we have covering for Nolan without adding this tool to our dressing room.

Do I think we are covered completely in our squad. No, I don't for a second think that and never said we were. We need to better utlise the small amount of money that appears to be available, get some cover in for Tiote, get in another wide player to fill the gap left by Routledge and/or bring in a striker who can complement Carroll. 

frankly, i'd be fine with another holding MF.

but if you play ireland off of carroll, there's a clear place for him in the starting 11.

The problem with that is you would need Nolan to then adapt his game to a more withdrawn role, otherwise they would just get in eachother's way. We all know Nolan's game by now and it's not a withdrawn one.

It's only a loan FFS. If he's s*** we can sack him off in the summer.

A very questionable, expensive loan.

you have no idea how expensive or inexpensive it is?

Villa want his wages paid in full, he is on very big wages.

he was basically forced out of Man City to Villa as part of the Milner deal. He wasn't happy there from the start. Apparently he would be happy to come to Newcastle.

That looks like made up nonsense to me.

You can't force footballers to do anything these days.

I've no agenda in saying these things, incidentally, believe me or don't believe me - in the words of Houllier, I don't care - I'm just telling you like it has been from our end.

Anyone who doesnt want Ireland (a proven quality midfielder) here on loan, with a point to prove, low risk and provides another option is f***ing mental.

That quote for me sums the lad up.

Think brummie's making a mistake here though, he should be looking out for Villa's best interests and really extoling his virtues :)

It's only a loan FFS. If he's s*** we can sack him off in the summer.

A very questionable, expensive loan.

you have no idea how expensive or inexpensive it is?

Villa want his wages paid in full, he is on very big wages.

:facepalm: there is NO WAY we will pay his wages in full. That's why it hasn't happened yet

What Houllier said about the wages thing is the type of thing managers say all the time to make sure they have the upper hand when negotiations arise. I think it's worth a gamble, he's a good player and a change of scenery might sort him out.

That looks like made up nonsense to me.

You can't force footballers to do anything these days.

I've no agenda in saying these things, incidentally, believe me or don't believe me - in the words of Houllier, I don't care - I'm just telling you like it has been from our end.

ok, maybe not forced but the fact he is dying to get out of Villa already says to me he was never happy there

Think brummie's making a mistake here though, he should be looking out for Villa's best interests and really extoling his virtues :)

Joking apart, I really wanted it to work out for him, and I still hope it does (maybe it will, if he does well with you), but I think there's something very wrong with his head.

ok, maybe not forced but the fact he is dying to get out of Villa already says to me he was never happy there

And the fact we're quite keen to get shot of him, despite currently desperately trying to find a creative midfielder says .....

Anyone who doesnt want Ireland (a proven quality midfielder) here on loan, with a point to prove, low risk and provides another option is f***ing mental.

You agree that he was in the top 5% of talent at the richest club on the planet, yet you think we - a team that has started Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands, Alan Smith and Danny Guthrie recently - don't have any place for him in the squad. :lol:

Wake up, man. Complete and utter buffoon.

Joking apart, I really wanted it to work out for him, and I still hope it does (maybe it will, if he does well with you), but I think there's something very wrong with his head.

He definately showed in that one season, think under Hughes ? That he could become a hell of a player, but his regression since has been startling and you've got to question if his head's in it, didn't he also fall out with the Ireland nation team ?

He definately showed in that one season, think under Hughes ? That he could become a hell of a player, but his regression since has been startling and you've got to question if his head's in it, didn't he also fall out with the Ireland nation team ?

In his defence, there was apparently some unpleasant bullying going on with the Ireland team, with him as the target of it.

You agree that he was in the top 5% of talent at the richest club on the planet, yet you think we - a team that has started Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands, Alan Smith and Danny Guthrie recently - don't have any place for him in the squad. :lol:

Wake up, man. Complete and utter buffoon.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you can't get your head into things then you'll never amount to anything. That's where Ireland is right now, he's shown he has the talent but for whatever reason he seems deterimined to self distruct.

I would take a player strong mental toughness and desire with a little less talent, over a very talented player with these kinds of mental issues 99 times 100.

If that makes me an utter and complete buffoon, then hand me that straight jacket and pop me in that padded cell.