Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

can't believe people are turning their nose up at Ireland :facepalm:

Well, he does look like the kind of signing we have made down the years following Bobby's reign which saw us slide down the table. The likes of Lee Bowyer, Alan Smith, Geremi, Nicky Butt or Steven Carr for example, who had one wonder season (or were good a while ago), but their stock had fallen so low they were going for pittance and we picked these players up on the cheap hoping that we could bring back their former glory days. We have generally not had much success going down that route. They arrived on big wages and carried on their poor form with us. I can understand why people are wary of buying more of these players, espescially in a position where we already have plenty of players.

All of this players you mention were not 24 when they join...

Why?

Because he's a very talented football who can play in a position in which we are desperately lacking. No that i'm surprised, folk were turning their noses up at Berbatov in the summer.

Why?

Because he's a very talented football who can play in a position in which we are desperately lacking. No that i'm surprised, folk were turning their noses up at Berbatov in the summer.

there's rampant short-termism going on with people evaluating players ability, all over the place. ireland's still a great player.

Very good player, but not sure about it if we don't have an option to buy, if he does well they will want him back and we've just managed to get one of our rival's best players back into form for them, and paid for the privilege.

If he doesn't do well, he's a passenger and a waste of space, he's that kind of player.

Very good player, but not sure about it if we don't have an option to buy, if he does well they will want him back and we've just managed to get one of our rival's best players back into form for them, and paid for the privilege.

If he doesn't do well, he's a passenger and a waste of space, he's that kind of player.

Nah, looks like they will be getting a Champs League place this season so i'd imagine they wont require him and will spend on some top top talent.

Ireland could be a reet steal for us.

The lad has bags of talent, he was just s*** on by man city then carted off to Villa as a make weight in the Milner deal.

One mans rubbish is another mans treasure.

I'm begiining to come around to this way of thinking.  He went to Man City which has a glut of players with little rhyme or reason.  Then he gets pushed off to Villa who have been a mess since MON left.  Maybe, just maybe, Newcastle is a place with a tight knit squad that he can settle into.  Kind of odd to refer to Newcastle as a place of relative stability but there you go...

Ireland could be a reet steal for us.

The lad has bags of talent, he was just s*** on by man city then carted off to Villa as a make weight in the Milner deal.

One mans rubbish is another mans treasure.

I'm begiining to come around to this way of thinking.  He went to Man City which has a glut of players with little rhyme or reason.  Then he gets pushed off to Villa who have been a mess since MON left.  Maybe, just maybe, Newcastle is a place with a tight knit squad that he can settle into.  Kind of odd to refer to Newcastle as a place of relative stability but there you go...

I am too to be honest, maybe as with Ben Arfa we can provide him with a decent dressing room environment to help him back to his best.

There's still the 'improve another team's player and send him back' negative, but maybe we can't afford to be that choosy.

I can't believe people think we can fix him ? Seriously look at his recent form, look at his form before that one wonder season he had. It's terrible, could he get it back ? Possibly, but why the hell should NUFC take a chance on that with the wages he'll command, he's not worth the risk. Not convinced he'll be good for the dressing room either.

I can't believe people think we can fix him ? Seriously look at his recent form, look at his form before that one wonder season he had. It's terrible, could he get it back ? Possibly, but why the hell should NUFC take a chance on that with the wages he'll command, he's not worth the risk. Not convinced he'll be good for the dressing room either.

We will only pay a % of his wage  while on loan, if he does well and perks up then we can make an offer to Villa and make a reasonable offer to himself for wages in the off season.

I dont think he'll be pushing for 70k a week if he can rescue his career.

Thats what people use to say about Joey Barton before.... I know Ireland have some problem but he is not as half bad as Barton. 18 month ego he was voted Manchester city best player of the year and I don't think that a fluck..... Some people compare him with smith but to compare the two players are just criminal......

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

No doubt about his talent, because he was quality before he went to Villa. Hopefully he'll get himself together for us and do well

I'm not turning my nose up, I'm just cautious because of his possible bad character. The one thing we can't afford to do is disrupt the dressing room or the 'group of lads', especially not for a loan signing.

If One player can disrupt the GoL then it wasn't very strong to begin with.

Guest Stephen927

He was brilliant for City when he was given a free role. Looked very comfortable picking the ball up from deep and carrying it forward, playing one-twos to advance the play. There may be a concern he'd clash with Nolan as both like to get forward, won't be such a worry if Tiote is in the team.

We will only pay a % of his wage  while on loan, if he does well and perks up then we can make an offer to Villa and make a reasonable offer to himself for wages in the off season.

We'll pay a loan fee anyway between 100k and 500k. Even if we paid just 50% of his wages it would still probably be more than most of the squad including Andy Carroll would be taking out of Newcastle.

For what reason ? Who's he going to replace in our starting 11 ? Tiote ? Barton ? Jonas ? Nolan ? I would take any of those ahead of Ireland any day of the week.  So we are basically giving up all that money for a benchwarmer, when we have Gosling, Guthrie, Vuckic and Ben Arfa who'll be back at some point.

Loan's aren't free and can become pretty expensive if you chose the wrong player and I think Ireland is most deffinately the wrong player.

Thats what people use to say about Joey Barton before.... I know Ireland have some problem but he is not as half bad as Barton. 18 month ego he was voted Manchester city best player of the year and I don't think that a fluck..... Some people compare him with smith but to compare the two players are just criminal......

What ??? We didn't we didn't try to fix Barton on the pitch, he was a quality player for Man Shitty. There were character issues with the guy, as there are with Ireland brw. But the big difference is Barton had talent and showed it on a regular basis. Ireland had one season where everything clicked for him but outside of that he was a very average footballer.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We'll pay a loan fee anyway between 100k and 500k. Even if we paid just 50% of his wages it would still probably be more than most of the squad including Andy Carroll would be taking out of Newcastle.

For what reason ? Who's he going to replace in our starting 11 ? Tiote ? Barton ? Jonas ? Nolan ? I would take any of those ahead of Ireland any day of the week.  So we are basically giving up all that money for a benchwarmer, when we have Gosling, Guthrie, Vuckic and Ben Arfa who'll be back at some point.

Loan's aren't free and can become pretty expensive if you chose the wrong player and I think Ireland is most deffinately the wrong player.

Vuckic won't come near the first team, man.

You would do if you'd seen him play or heard some of the stories circulating about him this season.

I'll be delighted for someone else to pay his wages for the next five months.

What are the stories circulating about him out of interest? That would be my one major concern as we don't want cocaine sniffing train wreck players here, but if it's a notch down from that I'd be willing to give him a chance to rebuild his career with a loan move. The Nolans and Smiths in our squad aren't fit to lace his boots talent wise.

Why would he repalce Tiote, Barton, Jonas or Nolan? :lol:

We have all said for long time our bench is very thin.

I honestly think if he ever recaptures his form then he'll be a first teamer.

As it looks like we're not signing a striker this window, Ireland would be perfect to play in the hole between the midfield and Carroll (or Ameobi until AC is fit). It will ease the pressure on Ben Arfa when he comes back as well.

Especially if it's a loan, it looks like a very good deal for us.