Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why would he repalce Tiote, Barton, Jonas or Nolan? :lol:

We have all said for long time our bench is very thin.

I honestly think if he ever recaptures his form then he'll be a first teamer.

Then why the fuck loan him. He's already pissed off because he's not getting a game at Villa.

We are not that thin in his role tbh, Gosling, Guthrie and Vuckic all do a similar job.

We'll never know if he'll recapture that form because he'll never bloody play.

If we are looking for a loanee then lets bring in someone for a position we are a little light on, DM for example.

Then why the f*** loan him. He's already pissed off because he's not getting a game at Villa.

We are not that thin in his role tbh, Gosling, Guthrie and Vuckic all do a similar job.

If we are looking for a loanee then lets bring in someone for a position we are a little light on, DM for example.

the fact you say "we are not that thin in this role" and then list Gosling, Guthrie and Vuckic pretty much proves how thin we are in that role.

Then why the fuck loan him. He's already pissed off because he's not getting a game at Villa.

Why loan him? Because he's obviously desperate to come here if he'll agree a loan deal. None of those three midfielders you mentioned can do what Ireland can, he's a genuine midfield play maker who can score goals AND run with the ball.

can't believe people are turning their nose up at Ireland :facepalm:

You would do if you'd seen him play or heard some of the stories circulating about him this season.

I'll be delighted for someone else to pay his wages for the next five months.

What are the stories circulating about him out of interest? That would be my one major concern as we don't want cocaine sniffing train wreck players here, but if it's a notch down from that I'd be willing to give him a chance to rebuild his career with a loan move. The Nolans and Smiths in our squad aren't fit to lace his boots talent wise.

I'm not one of Brummie's biggest fans, but listen to the guy, he watches Ireland a lot more than anyone on this board.

Then why the f*** loan him. He's already pissed off because he's not getting a game at Villa.

Why loan him? Because he's obviously desperate to come here if he'll agree a loan deal. None of those three midfielders you mentioned can do what Ireland can, he's a genuine midfield play maker who can score goals AND run with the ball.

And that's the lie, that keeps getting perpetuated. He's not those things, he was in one great season but outside of that he was simply an average footballer. A player we don't need, a player with personal issues we do not need to be suckered into.

Good information in this Villa fan's blog post from August when he was initially acquired:

http://astonvillacentral.com/2010/08/tale-of-the-tape-james-milner-vs-stephen-ireland-part-ii-the-bigger-picture/

So, if Villa Park suits him, if he clicks, he’ll undoubtedly be a great player for us. If it doesn’t though, I think we’ll get a glimpse of why City are willing to value him at around £8m to Milner’s £26m.

And obviously Villa Park doesn't suit him.  But SJP just might - and if it does, surrounded by TGOL and with some apparently strong dressing room leadership to help him out, there's no reason why he can't become more comfortable and therefore, more effective.  To even compare him to Vuckic or Guthrie is ridiculous - Ireland's done it in this league at a very high level before, and at 24, there's no reason to suspect he couldn't do it again given the right circumstances.

Barton had a suspect reputation, Ben Arfa had a suspect reputation, Carroll's had a few punch-ups, etc.  Would you want a squad without those three?  Quality sometimes is accompanied by stupidity/daftness/ego/instability.  But if you ever want to be better than merely mid-table, you have to figure out a way to get the best out of such players. 

And that's the lie, that keeps getting perpetuated. He's not those things, he was in one great season but outside of that he was simply an average footballer. A player we don't need, a player with personal issues we do not need to be suckered into.

Ok, we get it, you dont want Ireland here.   :lol:

A player we don't need? You're clearly not watching the games, mate.

He's only 24, he does have attacking flair and creativity, something we have nothing of without HBA. I would give him a chance on loan with an option to buy.

If he can recapture his best form he would be a quality addition, personal issues notwithstanding.

A player we don't need? You're clearly not watching the games, mate.

And you are clearly not watching Ireland circa 2011.

Anyone who doesnt want Ireland (a proven quality midfielder) here on loan, with a point to prove, low risk and provides another option is f***ing mental.

Anyone who does want Ireland, a player that has regressed backwards to his former average self, with character issues on a high wage, who's failed to prove anything after being cast aside by Man Shitty, is fucking mental. Two can play at this game.

Very good player, but not sure about it if we don't have an option to buy, if he does well they will want him back and we've just managed to get one of our rival's best players back into form for them, and paid for the privilege.

If he doesn't do well, he's a passenger and a waste of space, he's that kind of player.

Nah, looks like they will be getting a Champs League place this season so i'd imagine they wont require him and will spend on some top top talent.

???

Champs League? You do realise he's at Villa now and not City? :lol:

Anyone who doesnt want Ireland (a proven quality midfielder) here on loan, with a point to prove, low risk and provides another option is f***ing mental.

Anyone who does want Ireland, a player that has regressed backwards to his former average self, with character issues on a high wage, who's failed to prove anything after being cast aside by Man Shitty, is fucking mental. Two can play at this game.

It's a game now is it?

As others have said (and I said the other day) 24, on loan, even paying half his wages, it still provides cover for an already stretched midfield and offers something different too.

You don't end up a teams player of the year and suddenly forget how to play.  The lad obviously doesn't want to be at Villa (I'd imagine it'd hardly be a nice feeling being told by your manager your surplus to requirements as we want to bring Milner in...and were getting cash ontop too).

Low risk.  If he's shit, they we fuck him off back to Villa.   

Anyone who does want Ireland, a player that has regressed backwards to his former average self, with character issues on a high wage, who's failed to prove anything after being cast aside by Man Shitty, is f***ing mental. Two can play at this game.

His former average self, you mean when he was 21 (and younger)? Are you for real?

Honestly as risks go in football, getting a player in on loan for 4 month is a pretty bloody low one, whether he's absolutely dross or not.

Guest Stephen927

Fans have been scarred by big money signings in the past that haven't paid off. This is about as low risk as it gets. If he doesn't perform, he'll be a Villa player next season, if he does, we might have stumbled upon the classy attacking midfielder that we've wanted since Dyer left.

Guest bmoregeordie
Who's he going to replace in our starting 11 ? Tiote ? Barton ? Jonas ? Nolan ? I would take any of those ahead of Ireland any day of the week.  So we are basically giving up all that money for a benchwarmer, when we have Gosling, Guthrie, Vuckic and Ben Arfa who'll be back at some point.

Are you serious?

Gosling has no experience, Guthrie is either playing hurt or in worse form than Ireland, Vuckic is not an option, and Ben Arfa is still not back, nor do we know what his form will be when he gets back.

Let's throw in the fact that Tiote is likely to be suspended again, Nolan has been playing through pain, and it would probably be best if we don't have all four MF playing 90+ minutes per match.

You need depth to survive in the Prem. And depth in the middle is the most crucial.

I'm not saying Ireland is the best option out there - hell, I'd rather go get Sulley Muntari if he's really interested in England - but Ireland's the only one I've heard showing interest.

As for the concern about getting a player in great shape on a loan only to give him back to his club, how often does that really happen with a club like Villa? If a player is out of form, goes to a new club, and finds form, he usually doesn't want to go back, does he? If this were ManU or Chelsea, maybe. But not Villa.

Who's he going to replace in our starting 11 ? Tiote ? Barton ? Jonas ? Nolan ? I would take any of those ahead of Ireland any day of the week.  So we are basically giving up all that money for a benchwarmer, when we have Gosling, Guthrie, Vuckic and Ben Arfa who'll be back at some point.

Are you serious?

Gosling has no experience, Guthrie is either playing hurt or in worse form than Ireland, Vuckic is not an option, and Ben Arfa is still not back, nor do we know what his form will be when he gets back.

Let's throw in the fact that Tiote is likely to be suspended again, Nolan has been playing through pain, and it would probably be best if we don't have all four MF playing 90+ minutes per match.

You need depth to survive in the Prem. And depth in the middle is the most crucial.

I'm not saying Ireland is the best option out there - hell, I'd rather go get Sulley Muntari if he's really interested in England - but Ireland's the only one I've heard showing interest.

As for the concern about getting a player in great shape on a loan only to give him back to his club, how often does that really happen with a club like Villa? If a player is out of form, goes to a new club, and finds form, he usually doesn't want to go back, does he? If this were ManU or Chelsea, maybe. But not Villa.

The only player Ireland can cover for is Nolan, he certainly can't cover for Tiote, are you fucking serious ???

There's 17 games left, we can limp through that period comfortably with the players we have covering for Nolan without adding this tool to our dressing room.

Do I think we are covered completely in our squad. No, I don't for a second think that and never said we were. We need to better utlise the small amount of money that appears to be available, get some cover in for Tiote, get in another wide player to fill the gap left by Routledge and/or bring in a striker who can complement Carroll. 

With a fully fit Ben Arfa, Tiote, Gosling, Barton, and Nolan, I struggle to find a place in the team for Ireland. A forward and a winger is clearly what we need at the moment, and Ireland doesn't really offer us anything we won't have by the end of next month. O'Hara would be a cheaper and better option if we just need cover.

With a fully fit Ben Arfa, Tiote, Gosling, Barton, and Nolan, I struggle to find a place in the team for Ireland. A forward and a winger is clearly what we need at the moment, and Ireland doesn't really offer us anything we won't have by the end of next month. O'Hara would be a cheaper and better option if we just need cover.

Totally agree, sensible man :) I'm surprised O'Hara hasn't moved yet, he can't be happy warming the bench there at Spuds and showed enough at Pompey to have convinced someone to take a punt on him. Perhaps Spuds are being their usual selves and looking to screw clubs making a bid for him.

What part of

Barton Tiote Nolan Ben Arfa

Ireland

Carroll

don't you get? That would improve on us massively if Ireland can recapture his form.