The Loan System.

Crumpy Gunt

Should it be banned between Clubs in the same league?

It can't be right that Man City (for example) could in effect loan out half a team to other Clubs who could then effect results that could in theory determine where the title goes.

I would stop it from happening. It might at least make players aware of the consequences if they fall out of favour.

It would possibly also limit the desire of clubs like City to buy players just to stop other clubs getting them, and maybe make them think twice about spending silly money on squad players.

It's a reasonable suggestion.

I've long thought the whole loan system needs scrapping to stop the wealthier clubs stockpiling players.

Should have an age limit tbh.

No loaning out players over a certain age (21, perhaps?)

Agree that loaning within a division seems a bit wrong.

Totally agree, you shouldn't be allowed to loan to clubs in the same division, possibly also have a loan cap on how many players you can loan out as well as loan in? I love the way that the Spanish B teams can play up to Liga Adelante as well, I think that's much better for the youth players development really. It'd take a while to implement that with the English reserve teams though.

Its an interesting debate.. I also think there should be a set rule on terms for wages.

50% wages to be paid by each club, non of this you want him you pay all his wages, after all both clubs benefit from the loan. BUT also there should be a system for number of games the player has to play depending on age of the player.

Like when we had Rossi and Fergie did his nut because we hardly used him, also I think some lower cubs over use young talent loaned to them.

As for in the same league, should be loans only for young players who have came through a clubs youth setup.

Totally agree, you shouldn't be allowed to loan to clubs in the same division, possibly also have a loan cap on how many players you can loan out as well as loan in? I love the way that the Spanish B teams can play up to Liga Adelante as well, I think that's much better for the youth players development really. It'd take a while to implement that with the English reserve teams though.

I'm a bit torn about our B teams allowed so much up the ladder to be frank. I love that Barça B is in the second division but if I were a neutral that place would be better used by a real team whose fans could enjoy football at a good level. Our third flight has 80+ clubs in it, so I think B teams don't hurt so much there.

But it's true that it prevents an excess of developmental loans in our league.

Also, loans are an easy way for an unwanted player to try to rebuild their career instead of rotting on the stands until the contract runs out.

That's why I thought it'd take a while to implement really, you couldn't just pick teams out of the football league and drop them down a division in order to allow to the reserve teams to take their place, the majority of the reserves in England wouldn't be up to the Championship/League One standard anyway, so you'd have to throw them into one of the lower non-league leagues. They'd then be playing a fair few games against some bruisers which the managers would be quite weary about and might send them out on loan anyway, and of course it would take quite a few years to rise up the divisions.

The B teams thing also allows big clubs to stockpile players though, no? And it harms the chances of clubs lower down the leagues.

Loans should be allowed to clubs below your own division, give the club a boost and the player some experience.

They are not like English reserve teams. We can't chuck Hleb there for example. Only U23 players can be placed in a B team, or players especially contracted to the B team which can't be included in the team's main squad.

That's why I thought it'd take a while to implement really, you couldn't just pick teams out of the football league and drop them down a division in order to allow to the reserve teams to take their place, the majority of the reserves in England wouldn't be up to the Championship/League One standard anyway, so you'd have to throw them into one of the lower non-league leagues. They'd then be playing a fair few games against some bruisers which the managers would be quite weary about and might send them out on loan anyway, and of course it would take quite a few years to rise up the divisions.

Honestly, the way your pyramid works I'd never institute B teams. The only way it works in Spain is because we have a "true" football pyramid where each lower level has a shitton more clubs. 90% of B teams are in the third and fourth flights, which have 400+ clubs put together.

It would also stop clubs like Sunderland continually having a significant number of loanees in their squad. If it is to remain as it is, it should be no more than 2 per season, regardless of the players origin.

Agree about loaning to other clubs within the same league. 

I also think that clubs should not be allowed to buy players and then immediately loan them back to the selling club.  If they can't accommodate a new signing then they don't need them and are just trying to buy them before someone else does.

Need to rid of it, Man City will end up playing against weakend squads when they play Blackburn and Sunderland. Sunderland will get tortured down the right with out Nedum. I understand Man U loan players out but most of them are pretty young developing players.

The B teams thing also allows big clubs to stockpile players though, no? And it harms the chances of clubs lower down the leagues.

Loans should be allowed to clubs below your own division, give the club a boost and the player some experience.

They are not like English reserve teams. We can't chuck Hleb there for example. Only U23 players can be placed in a B team, or players especially contracted to the B team which can't be included in the team's main squad.

Ah right, that makes more sense then. Still think it's a bit harsh on the clubs that only exist in the lower leagues... in theory everyone is part of the same league structure.

Ah right, that makes more sense then. Still think it's a bit harsh on the clubs that only exist in the lower leagues... in theory everyone is part of the same league structure.

Yeah, as I said I believe B teams should be capped to Segunda B (our third flight), which has 80 teams in it and it's the lowest professional tier.

it's funny but it really kicked into gear here after the collapse of the ITV deal iirc as clubs further down the league couldn't take players on contracts and used this to fill the gap in many cases

what it's become is essentially a way for the elite at the top to maintain their stranglehold on the league by buying players they might not otherwise buy and have them loaned out for experience, while the loaning club might benefit by staying up or doing well with important loan players the likelihood is it'll fall apart eventually for them

so a load of shit really, maybe as someone said make the loan age limit 21 and a minimum of 2 seasons at the loaning club, something like that

It would also stop clubs like Sunderland continually having a significant number of loanees in their squad. If it is to remain as it is, it should be no more than 2 per season, regardless of the players origin.

what they've been doing is flagrant abuse of the system, a premier league club with 5 loanees possibly in the first team is ridiculous