Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

Colocho's in-depth knowledge of French football is an underrated resource for this forum like.

Why you asking after his opinion on Marveaux then? :icon_scratch:

I'm interested to see what he has to say beyond the original cryptic post.

Admittedly I don't know anything about Ligue 1.

Me neither. :laugh:

Just ignore him if you think he talks shite though, it's getting a bit boring everyone jumping on his every word. That's not to say I always agree with him on any particular thing btw.

Would like to see us go for a young, fast striker. Cédric Bakambu or Yannis Tafer would be nice.

Why would you want him?

Those 2 players have 1 top flight goal between them. Brilliant.

Both are quick - and the type of players we could realistically sign on loan (and be third or fourth choice striker).

How many top flight goals had Rossi scored when he signed him on loan?

We don't need strikers with potential at the moment, we have Ranger and Airey coming through and anymore youngsters would just be stifling their development imo

You honestly think either of them could make it?

Possibly, never seen Airey play but finishing top scorer of whatever reserve league he played in is a good start. Though from memory he is a converted fullback, so there are doubts.

If Ranger can get his head straight you never know. Though I haven't seen him strike a football in a way to suggest he could ever be a good finisher at the top level. Probably a Cameron Jerome-esque player at best.

Guest MrSundlofer

Would like to see us go for a young, fast striker. Cédric Bakambu or Yannis Tafer would be nice.

Why would you want him?

Both are quick - and the type of players we could realistically sign on loan (and be third or fourth choice striker).

But to be realistic.. We won't sign neither of them on loan. Why should we? Both are backups in the French league. I believe you play to much Football Manager.. However, I agree with you that we should sign a young and fast striker, but I have no idea why you mention them!

If we were to just sign one of the players we have realistically been linked with it would have to be a striker.

There were many games last season we desperately needed an out an out top quality striker/finisher. I think Ba was a very good signing, if we can keep him fit. However if Ba's knee goes shortly after the start of the season then we are back to having Shola and/or Best up top.

The best realistic strikers we have been linked with are Urdinc and Cisse.

Cisse is a very exciting player. Good friends with international team mate Ba too so a switch to us may appeal. He can play up top on his own or just behind the main striker. He not only scores alot of goals but is a real livewire and creates alot too.

Would be interesting if we did sign another top quality defensive midfielder though, as we would almost certainly be going 4 3 3 then with Ba Arfa and Marveux/or possibly Zoggy up top. But again at the moment if Ba gets injured  again we could struggle.

In an (realistic) ideal world imo we'd get:

1. A striker - Cisse  or Urdinc or less realistically Sturridge

2. Zoggy

3. Someone like Matuidi as well.

However i cannot see us being fortunate enough to get three players of this calibre. Possibly, hopefully two. Just please let one of them be a quality striker as thats the position we need quality cover for the most.

Guest magpie99

We definitely need two strikers but other than Erdinc, I havent a clue who we could get at the prices Ashley would be willing to pay. The same applies to a winger and even if we could get N'Zogbia at a reasonable price, I doubt Ashley would pay his wages or want him back after the way he left the club.

Other bits of news on possible movement seems to be:

Smith to Leeds with us paying 30K a week of his wages.

Harper to WBA?

Ranger to Millwall or Bolton?

Routledge to QPR?

Best to Birmingham or Celtic?

Forster to Norwich or Celtic

Personally, I think we could afford to sell Smith, Harper, Perch and Lovenkrands but we shouild keep the rest for squad value. Also, promote some of the youngsters who are not going top be loaned out and we will have a pretty decent squad. I also think Enrique mightr just stay as well. With that, we would have a pretty healthy squad, if only for a couple of more additions like Erdinc and Barmetta:

Goalkeepers: Krul, Forster, Sodeberg, Alnwick

Defenders: Simpson, Tavernier, R.Taylor, S.Taylor, Colo, Williamson, Kadar, Enrique, N.Taylor ( think we will get him for a million), Ferguson

Central midfielders: Tiote, Barton, Cabaye, Gosling, Guthrie, Vuckic

Right wing: Barnetta, Routledge

Left wing: Marveaux, Guttierez

Forwards: Ba, Ben Arfa, Erdinc, Best, Ameobi

Loaned out: Airey, Inman, S.Ameobi, Lua Lua, Richardson, Donaldson

That is a pretty capable squad of 29 players with cover in most positions and kids being loaned out for experience. It also includes 3 additional players at a cost of around 13 million pounds still to come in.

In my opinion, that is definitely a top 10 squad. and we havent broken the bank.

Wouldn't be averse to us buying Facundo Ferreyra if we've been looking at Argieball teams. Probably not cost the earth as he only plays for Banfield. Young & liable to get a lot better.

Wouldn't be averse to us buying Facundo Ferreyra if we've been looking at Argieball teams. Probably not cost the earth as he only plays for Banfield. Young & liable to get a lot better.

99% of people on here will have no fkcing clue who you're on about unless they play the Argie league on FM religiously :lol:

Guest VegasToon

99% of people on here will have no fkcing clue who you're on about unless they play the Argie league on FM religiously :lol:

TBF 99.9999999% sounds about right.

TBF 99.9999999% sounds about right.

aye he doesn't even have a wiki in English ffs

Guest levi914

We don't need strikers with potential at the moment, we have Ranger and Airey coming through and anymore youngsters would just be stifling their development imo

You honestly think either of them could make it?

Possibly, never seen Airey play but finishing top scorer of whatever reserve league he played in is a good start. Though from memory he is a converted fullback, so there are doubts.

If Ranger can get his head straight you never know. Though I haven't seen him strike a football in a way to suggest he could ever be a good finisher at the top level. Probably a Cameron Jerome-esque player at best.

I always though Ranger will be a great player but he got 2 goals in 49 games! is only 20, i heard newcastle put him on the transfer list after he posted a picture of himself looking gangsta with a replica gun. not sure if its true?

Guest Brazilianbob

Why would you want him?

Usain Bolts fairly quick I hear.  Why not go for him as our replacement for Carroll?  Just lob the ball over the top and he'll be on it and have it in the back of the net before the defence can even turn.  That is assuming he can control a ball!

Why would you want him?

Usain Bolts fairly quick I hear.  Why not go for him as our replacement for Carroll?  Just lob the ball over the top and he'll be on it and have it in the back of the net before the defence can even turn.  That is assuming he can control a ball!

Bolt has already said he wants to play for Man Utd, so we've got no chance.

Taylor, N'Zogbia and a decent striker would be fantastic. Too much to ask?

Seems it.

Yep especially when it seems that we're content in playing the waiting game :undecided:

Guest Antec

Taylor, N'Zogbia and a decent striker would be fantastic. Too much to ask?

Seems it.

Yep especially when it seems that we're content in playing the waiting game :undecided:

To be fair they're probably still busy double-checking the free transfer and release clause list just in case they've missed one

It's just like FM. You player search for "expiring" contracts up until June 30th, snap up some unattached players on July 1st, then you start actually buying players for money after that ;)