Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

Ronaldo is the best player in the world, in many people's eyes. HBA has some way to go before you can mention the two in the same sentence ...

People are just saying that Ferguson moved Ronaldo from the wing to a centre forward and maybe Ben Arfa could do something similar. They weren't comparing their abilities as far as I can see. ???

Ronaldo is the best player in the world, in many people's eyes. HBA has some way to go before you can mention the two in the same sentence ...

People are just saying that Ferguson moved Ronaldo from the wing to a centre forward and maybe Ben Arfa could do something similar. They weren't comparing their abilities as far as I can see. ???

And?

People are just saying that Ferguson moved Ronaldo from the wing to a centre forward and maybe Ben Arfa could do something similar.

WOAH. Don't mention them in the same sentence, the world will end.

Johnson at Leeds

Larrson at Brum

Milito at Barca

All have the potential to be summer Toon targets.

Wouldn't take any of them personally.

We will be signing a freebie or two as Ashley is like a Sports Direct customer who loves a bargain. I saw all three linked with PL clubs so I would imagine we will be checking them out at least.

Guest Roger Kint

Theres arguably some comparing going on here:

'What SAF tought Ronaldo, that took him to another level as a player, was the skill of when it's appropriate to pass and when you should dribble. If HBA is able to learn this with us, I honestly believe he will play for Barca or Real Madrid in a couple of seasons'

I disagree, HBA has more talent than Ronaldo. Notice eg at how Ronaldo dribbles: Unlike Zidane, Messi and HBA, he never looks at the opponent before making a move. Instead he whirls with his feet in high speed, hoping that will make the opponent dizzy. Zidane and HBA on the other hand makes their move while they at the same time watches the opponent: that means that if the opponent goes to HBA's left, HBA will go to the right. That's why HBA, Zidane or Messi can surpass a player with just one single movements, while Ronaldo has to use many faints to achieve this.

Also as I mentioned above, SAF deserves a huge credit for developing him. Man U's play suited Ronaldo perfectly in the end. Fast play forward and few touches led to him constantly receiving the ball in a position where the opponent was disorganized. Now In Real Madrid he's a bit back to his old habits. Shooting instead of passing to players in obvious better positions. SAF would never allowed that. And another important thing, HBA has never benefited from SAF's wisdom. I'm pretty sure that if HBA had been placed under his wings a few years back, he would have flourished just as Ronaldo, or even more.

And?

:lol:

Never mind.

Sir Alex is one the greatest manager of all time but I don't he could turn HBA into a better player than Ronaldo.

That's bullshit.. HBA is suffering from the same problem as Ronaldo, fondness of the ball.  SAF is the best antidote for that problem. Talent wise, HBA is just as big a talent as Ronaldo. It's his mentality that has stopped him from realizing his potential.  No other man could convince me otherwise. I'll rather die before admitting HBA is inferior to Ronaldo  :smitten:

And?

:lol:

Never mind.

It wasn't targeted at anyone btw.

Cronaldo and HBA are not at all similar players. Cronaldo learnt to use his strength and power to become more direct and effective, HBA doesn't have that.

They're similar talent wise. Crronaldo became direct and effective under SAF. The first season he was just about dribbling, never passing the ball. SAf taught him how to be direct. And that''s what HBA lacks in his game. But abilities with the ball, speed etc is practically identical.  I'm arguing that HBA is just as skillfull, but haven't received good enough guidance to release his potential fully. If he had been taught by SAF, he would have been just as good as Ronaldo..

Sir Alex is one the greatest manager of all time but I don't he could turn HBA into a better player than Ronaldo.

That's bullshit.. HBA is suffering from the same problem as Ronaldo, fondness of the ball.  SAF is the best antidote for that problem. Talent wise, HBA is just as big a talent as Ronaldo. It's his mentality that has stopped him from realizing his potential.  No other man could convince me otherwise. I'll rather die before admitting HBA is inferior to Ronaldo  :smitten:

He is inferior. You've already admitted to not watching much of him, yet you're certain he is/can be better than probably the second best player in the world. Insane.

He is inferior. You've already admitted to not watching much of him, yet you're certain he is/can be better than probably the second best player in the world. Insane.

In all my eagerness, I have been less precise. What I'm being trying to say is this: TALENT-wise HBA has just the same potential as Ronaldo, or even more. But HBA has no been able to release this talent, because of his fragile mentality and lack of good guidance. As of today, Ronaldo is a better footballer than HBA yes. I on the other hand argue that HBA has the POTENTIAL of becoming just as good, or better, if he gets correct guidance. Ronaldo would have been half the player he is today if it wasn't for SAF. HBA on the other hand has not benifited from the advice from one of the greatest managers of all time. Imagine where he could have been if he had..

Comparing Ben Arfa and C.Ronaldo  :mackems:

If Ben Arfa was so good, or had the potential to be so good, do you think he would be at a club like us? There is a reason Ronaldo is classed as one of the best footballers in the world, and Ben Arfa isn't.

Ah fair enough, there is still no saying though that with the right guidance he would have become better than Ronaldo, although the chances are he'd be a better player than he currently is. The amount Ronaldo improved at Man Utd though was in the extremes. A lot of really talented youngsters won't come on that much, regardless of where they're at.

Back to the original debate of whether or not he should play in the AM role, that depends entirely on the players that we sign. Personally, I prefer 2 up front, but we'd need 2 strikers capable of doing that job very well. I think he'd probably be most effective playing from the right, with licence to roam and drift in, but then that'd mean moving Barton and rearranging the centre of midfield, so I'm not sure that's really plausible.

Guest EastEndGeordie

If Ben Arfa was so good, or had the potential to be so good, do you think he would be at a club like us? There is a reason Ronaldo is classed as one of the best footballers in the world, and Ben Arfa isn't.

Be at a club like us? What are you implying?

What about Andy Carroll, the eighth most expensive player of all time? We may not like to say it on here but we truly are one hell of a club with tons of supporters and even more importantly tons of potential.

You're completely missing the picture. First :the only reason why we got HBA, was because of his reputation as a difficult player.

Second, do you actually think that as long as you got talent, that is enough? You need proper guidance. Ronaldo received that under SAF. You can be as talented as you like, but you will never realize it to full potential if you don't have the correct people around you. It was under the tutorship of SAF that Ronaldo became "classed as one of the best footballers in the word." If you remove SAF from the equation, Ronaldo could easily have been just another big talent who never realized himself to full extent..And as you probably remember, Ronaldo did not have great start on his career in Man U..But SAF saw the potential and developed him into the player he's today