Kevin Nolan's comments to Liverpool TV (see OP)

Guest axel
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

nolan in telling it like it is shocker. stop being such crying babies.

It'd be like your best mate telling your lass to go with the flash bloke down the road, because he's better looking and got more money than you.

But you'd still be pals, because he's just 'telling it like it is'.  :rolleyes:

he hasnt said anything wrong. he said he's sad he's gone but happy he's gone to a good club, whats wrong with that? the only thing pissing people off here is they dont want to admit to the truth, liverpool are investing in the future and we're happy staying up and flogging our best players or not paying them what they're worth.

Bollocks!

It'd be like your best mate telling your lass to go with the flash bloke down the road, because he's better looking and got more money than you.

he hasnt said anything wrong. he said he's sad he's gone but happy he's gone to a good club, whats wrong with that? the only thing pissing people off here is they dont want to admit to the truth, liverpool are investing in the future and we're happy staying up and flogging our best players or not paying them what they're worth.

Bollocks!

:lol:

which bit?

Footballers these days have such a comprehensive disconnect with supporters that they can barely comprehend why comments like those might be offensive - not just before they make them (which might cause them not to, if they thought about it) but even after they've made them, and it has kicked off.

Nolan's "if fans don't like it, I apologise" line seems to suggest that even now he doesn't "get it" why people might be fucked off.

It's like Houllier saying "if i am going to lose 3-0, I would rather it was against Liverpool, because I like Liverpool" comment after we lost to them earlier in the season.

People in the football industry can't even start to understand why the average match-going punter might get the hump. We're supposed to see things like they do, in their 40k a week dreamworlds.

The entire football apparatus sneers at supporters, whether it be Sky and their skin-creepingly horrible presenters, the players slouching around doing fuck all for life changing sums of money and shrugging things like relegation off like you or I would a headache, or managers with their seeming entitlement to a well paid job on a never ending merry go round of mediocrity - because, frankly, that's what most of them are, mediocre.

There's no point even hoping someone like Nolan would understand why people are upset. He didn't get it before he made the comments, he didn't think that maybe keeping shtum was the best thing to do, and even now he clearly can't see why you're bothered. Frankly, he doesn't give a flying on, and that is the saddest thing of all.

So sadly spot on.

Bollocks!

:lol:

which bit?

The 'he hasnt done anything wrong' bit.

Jesus wept, The Guardian has a larger version of his "apology" interview where despite saying sorry he also repeats his line how "everyone is delighted for Andy."

Just shut your fucking scouse mouth you prick!

I'm actually a bit more irritated by the apology than the comments themselves.

I suppose it's a bit much to expect the club captain to have a certain level of empathy for the rank and file supporters.  You would think a simple "I'm sorry for deciding to give an interview to Liverpool's media outlet" would suffice, but he can't even do that properly.  He is utterly divorced from the reality of what it means for the fans. 

"Well' date=' Liverpool is a [b']great[/b] club," Nolan said. "I've not taken anything away from how great this club is, I've just said Liverpool is a great club with the history it has got and everything.

"It's a great move for Andy and no one can deny that but I want to be playing for Newcastle. If fans don't like it I apologise. It was never meant to affect them. But Liverpool is a great club and everyone knows that."

Great.

I am still waiting for this to emerge:

"Well, (Chelsea) is a great club," (Gerrard) said. "I've not taken anything away from how great this club is, I've just said (Chelsea) is a great club with the history it has got and everything.

"It's a great move for (Nando) and no one can deny that but I want to be playing for (Liverpool). If fans don't like it I apologise. It was never meant to affect them. But (Chelsea) is a great club and everyone knows that."

Suspect I'll be waiting a while.

We're all delighted for him that he's got his move.

Certainly doesn't sound like Carroll was forced out from this.

:lol: How ever did Carroll survive in such a hostile atmosphere?!

Footballers these days have such a comprehensive disconnect with supporters that they can barely comprehend why comments like those might be offensive - not just before they make them (which might cause them not to, if they thought about it) but even after they've made them, and it has kicked off.

Nolan's "if fans don't like it, I apologise" line seems to suggest that even now he doesn't "get it" why people might be fucked off.

It's like Houllier saying "if i am going to lose 3-0, I would rather it was against Liverpool, because I like Liverpool" comment after we lost to them earlier in the season.

People in the football industry can't even start to understand why the average match-going punter might get the hump. We're supposed to see things like they do, in their 40k a week dreamworlds.

The entire football apparatus sneers at supporters, whether it be Sky and their skin-creepingly horrible presenters, the players slouching around doing fuck all for life changing sums of money and shrugging things like relegation off like you or I would a headache, or managers with their seeming entitlement to a well paid job on a never ending merry go round of mediocrity - because, frankly, that's what most of them are, mediocre.

There's no point even hoping someone like Nolan would understand why people are upset. He didn't get it before he made the comments, he didn't think that maybe keeping shtum was the best thing to do, and even now he clearly can't see why you're bothered. Frankly, he doesn't give a flying on, and that is the saddest thing of all.

Eloquently put Sir.

Club owned and run by cocknees, team made up of mercenaries with no interest in the area, and the only people with any roots in the place make a dash for the helipad when the big boys come calling.

The game isn't worth getting upset about. It's a joke.

if that was a geordie on a different team saying that about a player coming here we'd all be saying 'oh thats gonna piss the fans off but he supports us so whats the problem'. at least he's being honest.

I would totally understand why fans at any other club would be annoyed in a similar situation. I would expect Huddersfield fans to be annoyed if Lee Clark said similar if we had signed their best player, never mind the captain of a club saying it after a transfer between two clubs in the same division.

The more I see this, the more I get pissed off with our fans. Are we children? Christ, are people not allowed to have an opinion? Liverpool are a big club, a club far more successful than us and fair play to him for wishing his mate all the best.

The more I see this, the more I get pissed off with our fans. Are we children? Christ, are people not allowed to have an opinion? Liverpool are a big club, a club far more successful than us and fair play to him for wishing his mate all the best.

You're the captain of NUFC. If our player gets linked with Liverpool, you tell him to fucking stay here. If our player moves to Liverpool, you let everyone know that he should have fucking stayed here. Not the other way around. No matter what your allegiances are.

You're the captain of NUFC. If our player gets linked with Liverpool, you tell him to fucking stay here. If our player moves to Liverpool, you let everyone know that he should have fucking stayed here. Not the other way around. No matter what your allegiances are.

:thup: Exactly.  This week has been an eye-opener and a half for me tbh.

Nolan's "if fans don't like it, I apologise" line seems to suggest that even now he doesn't "get it" why people might be f***ed off.

The entire football apparatus sneers at supporters, whether it be Sky and their skin-creepingly horrible presenters, the players slouching around doing f*** all for life changing sums of money and shrugging things like relegation off like you or I would a headache, or managers with their seeming entitlement to a well paid job on a never ending merry go round of mediocrity - because, frankly, that's what most of them are, mediocre.

Well put.  It's a good reminder that footballers talk to the media more than they talk to the fans.  So unless he's a contrary prick who likes to get a rise out of people, the average footballer is going to play along with the usual media storylines.  And since the media has an eternal love affair with the usual big clubs, it's no surprise Tugboat fawned over Liverpool.

Like a cunt.

It's a good reminder that footballers talk to the media more than they talk to the fans.

Fwiw, Nolan invites supporters to come and speak to him when he's out and about.

one of the most approachable players i've known.....no i haven't but i've seen many appraoch him anjd he's alot more open than most.

Guest Heneage

I can see why fans got the hump. He was commenting how good the sale of a good player was to a divisional rival. Because that's what we are, all 20 teams are rivals fighting for spots. It's naive on his part but if he scores the goals that keep us up then fine.

I didn't mean Nolan's not approachable, just that footballers get so used to talking to the media that they start giving mindless clichéed answers that sometimes come back on them, like this case.  Did he think no one in Newcastle would read what he said about Liverpool?

To be fair to Nolan if the positions were reversed and it was me at Liverpool and NUFC were bthe buying club,  I would have said go for it as well and been pleased about it.

What i wouldn't have done is given THAT interview to NUFC tv, when they approached me I would have said 'no'. I would have thought that I would be rubbing peoples faces in it and not done it and kept my conversations private.

Can't people understand that that is what people are upset about, not that Liverpool are a bigger club etc?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9387232.stm

Nolan sorry for Carroll comments

Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan has apologised to the club's fans for his upbeat assessment of Andy Carroll's move to Liverpool.

Boyhood Reds fan Nolan told Liverpool TV he was "delighted" for Carroll, who was joining a "fantastic club".

But the comments angered Newcastle fans upset at losing their hometown hero.

"If fans don't like it, I apologise," said Nolan. "I'm getting quite sick of the Andy Carroll saga. I just want to put it to bed and get on with it."

He added: "The last thing I want is to start upsetting our fans because they have been brilliant."

Carroll helped Newcastle win promotion last season, has scored 11 Premier League goals in 19 appearances this season and won his first England cap in November.

He became the most expensive British player in history with his £35m transfer from St James' Park to Anfield on Monday.

"There's no-one more disappointed than me," said Nolan. "Not only have we lost a top player but I've lost a good mate who was very close."

Meanwhile, Carroll - currently out of action with a thigh injury - says he does not feel pressure to replace former Reds favourite Fernando Torres.

Torres was idolised by the Liverpool fans before his sudden and acrimonious £50m departure to Chelsea on Monday.

Carroll was signed from Newcastle for shortly after Torres left, but the 22-year-old says he will focus only on what he can bring to Anfield.

"Torres was a great player but I need to concentrate on my own game and play the way I know I can," said Carroll.

However, the Gateshead-born forward is not fazed by the price tag, which also made him the eighth most expensive player in the history of the game.

"It was a lot of money but I need to do what I have to do to prove the money was worth it," he said at a news conference to introduce himself and fellow striker Luis Suarez, signed from Ajax for £22m.

"I am here to score goals and create chances for the team and that is what I can do.

"I have scored goals at Newcastle and that is what I want to bring here - we'll just have to wait and see [whether the transfer fee was worth it]."

Reds manager Kenny Dalglish added that he had no qualms about the fee he paid for Carroll, who arrived at Anfield carrying a thigh injury.

Dalglish also took the opportunity of the news conference to take a swipe at the media, who he felt had been unfair in their reaction to Carroll's arrival.

"I'd like to reassure Andy we are more upbeat about Andy coming than I think yourselves [the media] are, because every question seems to have negativity in it," said Dalglish.

"We have no reason to be negative about Andy signing for Liverpool. It is a great signing for us, as Luis's is.

"We will look forward to getting him fit, up and ready for work and he'll play when he's good and ready."

Despite claim and counter-claim about his departure from St James' Park, when pressed on Thursday Carroll brushed aside questions over his exit, saying he would prefer to focus on making a fresh start at his new club.

"I have got massive respect for Newcastle, they are my team and my home club and I'm not really going to talk about what happened there," he added.

"It means a lot to me but I am a Liverpool player now and that is what I have to concentrate on."

Carroll, who has one England cap, says he is still unsure of when he will be ready to return. But he adds that when he does, only then will it truly hit home that he is a Liverpool player.

"I'm working hard at the minute in the gym at Melwood," said Carroll.

"I need to get my fitness up and when I finally make my debut with the number nine that's when it will hit home that I'm here and I'm here to stay."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9387232.stm

Published: 2011/02/04 07:50:10 GMT

© BBC 2011