Why didn't we bring players in in January?

Keefaz

Why we were not linked with striker even from the 1st Jan when it was evident that with Carroll's injury we'd struggle is truly baffling. Complete an utter short-sightedness on behalf of Pardew who, on the basis of one game against a shite Wham, thought Best was good enough.

I think Pardew genuinely believed he'd be able to bring in 2 players and, to be fair, if Birmingham hadn't pulled the plug on Larsson he might have successful in bringing those 2 men in. I can see no other reason for deciding to let Routledge go.

At the end of the day though, who knows. Yet another monumental cock-up from those in charge who have done nothing more than foster resentment, negativity and uncertainty among fans. Bastards.

as far as the club is concerned we strengthened.

we signed a fan favorite on a permanent deal(Ben arfa) and we got Stephen Ireland in.

The departure of Andy Carroll was bound to happen as soon as somebody came in with enough cash.

We also should accept the fact that as long as ashley is in charge every player on the books is for sale. if the price is right.

I'd imagine that Tiote will be away in the summer, regardless of if we stay up or not 

AP: striker please

DL/MA: sure, we're working on the deal, want value for money, and AC isn't for sale

repeat until 31st jan

AP: striker please

DL/MA: sure, we're working on the deal, want value for money, and AC isn't for sale

1st feb

AP: where's that striker lads?

DL/MA: AC?  he's in liverpool alan, don't you read the fucking papers

I'm not angry at the sale of Carroll, it was an insane price offered and the player seemed content to leave. F*ck him.

But I'm very angry the club had 31 days to bring in much-needed personnel and all they could do was loan out one of only two fit wingers on our books and loan in a crocked has-been on big wages in a position where we have ample players. It defies logic, it defies common sense, it was just utterly stupid. I don't even rate Routledge but what on earth are they doing loaning out fringe players and putting never-tried reserves on the bench?

Pardew admitted he knew about the Carroll bid more than 24 hours before the deadline. That's ample time to get on the phone and thrash out a deal. It's really not hard, other clubs were doing it left right and centre. We clearly needed a lift with the sale of Carroll, not to mention we need a goal threat.

What were they thinking? As we've said all along, there is no such thing as stability with Ashley in power. In what should have been a season of progress and consolidation he has conspired to sack a popular manager and leave his replacement an even weaker squad to work with.

We will stutter towards the end of the season with little goal threat. All we can hope for is that we keep our heads above water come May and all that Carroll money goes on new players. But even if that pans out, with Ashley about we'll always be nervous about his next fuck-up. It's a case of when not if as he seems to thrive on controversy.

Spot on OML. I think must fans would have accepted the Carroll deal a bit more if like Liverpool with Torres there was a contingency plan in place. They should have been enquiring about strikers regardless of selling Carroll nvermind waiting until he was sold. It's rank amateur again. Even N'gog on loan as part of the deal until the end of the season would have been better than nowt. As for Routledge going out on loan I can only assume the plan is to promote Gosling but as we are so short of numbers surely that could have been done with Routledge still here, surely we aren't so hard up that we had to get him off the wage bill?

We should have been making enquiries about forwards the second Liverpool showed interest in Carroll. Which was a full day before deadline day.

We cashed in on James Milner in similar circumstances, no replacement and it ended in relegation. Lessons have not been learned. People call it panic buying but there are times when you have to panic, such as when you have no forwards of any pedigree at all. Doing nothing and letting a bad situation develop is far worse.

We should have been making enquiries about forwards the second Liverpool showed interest in Carroll. Which was a full day before deadline day.

How do you know we weren't?

Just because you're making enquiries doesn't mean you're going to find the right players available for the right price.

If we stay up and spend wisely in the summer then that is preferable to a deadline day panic buy.

Of course, by failing to replace Carroll we run the risk of getting sucked into a relegation battle, and in that sense it's a bit of a gamble... but there's no saying an over-priced panic buy would see us do any better.

Danial sturridge worth a punt and he was signed at 21.25 by Bolton so we can see that last minute deals can be done not like our stupid bid for Insomnia another midfielder who was never gonna be sold by Whelan to us .