Why didn't we bring players in in January?

Keefaz

To live within our means. Spending 10s of millions of pounds on footballers is outragous, especially given the current climate

??? Football clubs aren't publicly-owned concerns, though. They're privately-owned businesses operating in a cut-throat competitive environment.

To live within our means. Spending 10s of millions of pounds on footballers is outragous, especially given the current climate

??? Football clubs aren't publicly-owned concerns, though. They're privately-owned businesses operating in a cut-throat competitive environment.

They don't operate in a vacuum though, if they're getting squeezed by higher prices from suppliers, less income and lack of available credit then they have to tighten their belts the same.

At least ones not in the Champions League and not owned by mega-rich owners do.

They don't operate in a vacuum though, if they're getting squeezed by higher prices from suppliers, less income and lack of available credit then they have to tighten their belts the same.

At least ones not in the Champions League and not owned by mega-rich owners do.

Sounded like Static87 was coming at it from a moral standpoint rather than an economic one. Not clear however what "living within our means" entails when the reality is Mike Ashley is a multi-millionaire?

The Larsson deal proves it's not always our fault we don't sign a player.

I know we can't expect to compete with the likes of Birmingham, but the club Larsson plays for managed to pick up a striker and a winger on loan, so it's not entirely impossible you know.

But they are a club who were willing to spend £7m? on Keane, do you really want Newcastle becoming that kind of club again? I don't think i would if i was a fan, you don't know how much money they are splashing out on loans alone in a desperate attempt to stay in the league, luckily Newcastle were/are in a good position where it would take a very unfortunate situation for you to get relegated so the club doesn't need to be held at ransom.

Simple.  There are cunts, and then there are real cunts.  Then there are colossal cunts.  Beyond the boundaries of cuntitude, there are even cunts so large that they comprise the dark matter at the center of our galaxy.  Look into Ashley's asshole and you'll likely discover the Higgs Boson.

Guest palnese

Simple.  There are cunts, and then there are real cunts.  Then there are colossal cunts.  Beyond the boundaries of cuntitude, there are even cunts so large that they comprise the dark matter at the center of our galaxy.  Look into Ashley's asshole and you'll likely discover the Higgs Boson.

:lol: :lol:

:lol:

And Llambias

However, spending a bit on wages for a loan player in a position we're short, isn't. They gambled two years ago by not bringing in players in the positions we were short, and we ended up relegated and losing far more money than we would have had we signed a decent central midfielder.

One point we went down by! One decent midfielder could have produced a bit of magic in a game we drew in, like Portsmouth at home, or Fulham. We gambled, looked terrible for the rest of the season and went down.

It depends on what happens over the next couple of windows doesn't it?

You could hardly call Ashley short-termist if he took the £35m that Liverpool were prepared to panic-buy Carroll for and invested it sensibly in 5 or 6 solid new signings.

Not that I'm saying he will, but y'kna.

Allowing for four-year contracts (Pardew has said it will be for wages too) those 5 or 6 would all have to be free transfers.

Allowing for four year contracts, a £5m player becomes a £9m one (on 20k/w =~ £1m/yr), so probably 3 or 4 players in within that budget would make more sense. 

Our scouting team better keep producing Tiotes. 

You could hardly call Ashley short-termist if he took the £35m that Liverpool were prepared to panic-buy Carroll for and invested it sensibly in 5 or 6 solid new signings.

Allowing for four-year contracts (Pardew has said it will be for wages too) those 5 or 6 would all have to be free transfers.

where did he say that!?

Allowing for four year contracts, a £5m player becomes a £9m one (on 20k/w =~ £1m/yr), so probably 3 or 4 players in within that budget would make more sense. 

£20k/week? Wow, I bet we'll attract some right talent with those wages. Maybe ten years ago.

where did he say that!?

In the presser before Fulham. Was reported all over the place.

£20k/week? Wow, I bet we'll attract some right talent with those wages. Maybe ten years ago.

So the severe salary cap has been lifted?  Even if 20k is a little on the low side do you see it really being higher than 35k? 

A long spell of attempting to unearth cheap foreign talent is in our future.

where did he say that!?

In the presser before Fulham. Was reported all over the place.

ffs.

So the severe salary cap has been lifted?  Even if 20k is a little on the low side do you see it really being higher than 35k? 

I've never seen confirmation of a rigid salary cap. I'd based my figures on £35k/week which I reckon is probably about the standard going rate these days, particularly for players that I assume Ian W meant would be going straight in and around the first team.

I wasn't having a go at you btw, just making the point that the £35m won't actually go very far at all when you include contracts.

Best's hattrick was bad timing, and Shola was looking alright as well.

There was always the danger that their flurry of goals would lull us into a false sense of security, Pardew was definitely after a striker before the window opened but seemed to change his priorities when we picked up good results recently. That added to the fact the strikers who have moved are costing a fair bit in wages like Keane, was probably a big factor.

I've never seen confirmation of a rigid salary cap. I'd based my figures on £35k/week which I reckon is probably about the standard going rate these days, particularly for players that I assume Ian W meant would be going straight in and around the first team.

I wasn't having a go at you btw, just making the point that the £35m won't actually go very far at all when you include contracts.

I'd have thought it would be an overall limit, linked to turnover. That's supposedly what we're doing - say, keeping wages at no more than 60% of turnover. So as you say, you're looking at a couple of big contracts. The more people like Smith you can shift, the more room for manouevre.

I'd have thought it would be an overall limit, linked to turnover. That's supposedly what we're doing - say, keeping wages at no more than 60% of turnover. So as you say, you're looking at a couple of big contracts. The more people like Smith you can shift, the more room for manouevre.

It is amazing how people so often ignore wages and focus on transfer fees.

That is what Lerner asked MON to do - work on the wages bill - and the media took it as "stop spending". it isn't about that.

We've shifted this window:

Carew - 55k

Sidwell - 30k

Davies - 35k

Ireland - 45k (a rough stab towards what you're paying of his 70k pwk)

165k a week. that's the best part of 8m a year.

As Leffe said, the issue isn't "max earnings = xxx thousand a week", it is looking at situations where you have large numbers of players sapping decent money for little return. Unfortunately, MON left us with nigh on an entire squad of them.

You signed quite a few players this window, though. Makoun, Bent, Bradley, Walker... your squad is still very large.

But I agree on the point that people seem very oblivious about how much wages, bonuses and fees add up to. No such thing as a cheap/free transfer.