Leon Best

Godot

Guest neesy111

Needs to look at how Ba plays and looks for the ball if he wants more opportunities instead of standing like a statue most of the game.

Don't think we really need Best starting. Perfectly adequate squad player however and should get plenty game time.

I think we are starting to see our players limitations after the initial patch of good form. That's nothing against them, more Pardew's failure to realise and address the issue.

Ah, right. 4th choice behind the players we haven't bought yet.

Outstanding.

Ba is outstanding so I know you don't doubt that he's ahead of Best.  I'd rather play Ben Arfa before Best but Ben Arfa can probably take Obertan out of the team to better effect. 

After last night I'd play Vuckic before Best, it may or may not work but Best isn't doing anything to keep his place.

Guest neesy111

Ah, right. 4th choice behind the players we haven't bought yet.

Outstanding.

Ba is outstanding so I know you don't doubt that he's ahead of Best.  I'd rather play Ben Arfa before Best but Ben Arfa can probably take Obertan out of the team to better effect. 

After last night I'd play Vuckic before Best, it may or may not work but Best isn't doing anything to keep his place.

I'd go that way.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I don't think Best was the problem yesterday - if they are going to sit there & hump long balls up to him constantly when it's obviously not working what can he do?

Guest neesy111

I don't think Best was the problem yesterday - if they are going to sit there & hump long balls up to him constantly when it's obviously not working what can he do?

Tell the players he doesn't want long balls.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Seemed to be a Pardew thing by my reckoning.

What this about Ronaldo saying that if we play HBA then we won't win against Swansea and now we should stick to the Best & Ba combo? Well we tried the said combination both against Swansea and WBA who let's face it we should be beating especially at home and it didn't work. So please stuff this tried and tested argument back to where it belongs, it's not working lately and time for a change. If Pardew insist that HBA for some weird reason can't play on the wing, then he should play behind Ba. Best can be 3rd choice or maybe 4th depending on which Ameobi decides to turn up on a particulat given day.

Guest neesy111

Perch is the worst culprit mind.  Never seen a single footballer hit the ball as long as he did.  Think thats another thing missed by Saylor is that he liked to run with the ball and play it.

Aye, even though Saylor is a no-nonsense defender he actually likes to move the ball on the floor, and takes responsibility for doing it too.

Aye, that's great when lovewillneverdie (TPFKA "White Cafu") does it at right back, but when he's charging through the middle of the pitch, he's leaving a massive gap behind him (our fullbacks are primarily pushing forward at home).

Anyways, back on topic, Best doesn't look match fit/sharp. However, Ba plays better (and scores more) when there's another big unit up alongside him (Shola or Best) - really need those two to be pushing each other for form and fitness to get into the side.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Perch is the worst culprit mind.  Never seen a single footballer hit the ball as long as he did.  Think thats another thing missed by Saylor is that he liked to run with the ball and play it.

Yeh - Coloccini is the king of running with it mind! :)

The wider problem is that our three main strikers – Ba, Best and Shola – are all basically centre forward types, strong but not quick, and when we play two together our style does get a bit restricted. If HBA isn’t the answer, we need a different type of striker to add a bit of variety to our play.

He did alright in the first half I thought, did the simple things well. 

His touch deserted him in the second though, his workrate dropped right off and he looked fucked.  Did one great bit of skill if I remember correctly, did a Maradona turn past two of their players, was quite surprised seeing him pull it off.  Problem was, after that he seemed to be thinking too far ahead and everytime the ball came near him he did fuck all with it.

Aye, even though Saylor is a no-nonsense defender he actually likes to move the ball on the floor, and takes responsibility for doing it too.

Aye, that's great when lovewillneverdie (TPFKA "White Cafu") does it at right back, but when he's charging through the middle of the pitch, he's leaving a massive gap behind him (our fullbacks are primarily pushing forward at home).

Anyways, back on topic, Best doesn't look match fit/sharp. However, Ba plays better (and scores more) when there's another big unit up alongside him (Shola or Best) - really need those two to be pushing each other for form and fitness to get into the side.

Is this based on anything more than a figment of your imagination?

Is this based on anything more than a figment of your imagination?

Am I right in thinking the only time he has started a game with HBA behind him is Man City, Man U, Chelsea and Blackburn in the cup, when we rested quite a few players in our first XI?  Bit early to say whether he looks better with a 'unit' next to him or not I think, although in fairness he does like to drop deep to link the play.

He would look better up top on his own if we didn't insist on hoofing it long all the time and actually tried to play it on the deck.  He's not great with his back to goal trying to play the Heskey/Best role.

Am I right in thinking the only time he has started a game with HBA behind him is Man City, Man U, Chelsea and Blackburn in the cup, when we rested quite a few players in our first XI?  Bit early to say whether he looks better with a 'unit' next to him or not I think, although in fairness he does like to drop deep to link the play.

He would look better up top on his own if we didn't insist on hoofing it long all the time and actually tried to play it on the deck.  He's not great with his back to goal trying to play the Heskey/Best role.

I think that's a bit unfair, against Swansea he played well and got shots on target from crazy positions when he started with his back to goal.