Leon Best

Godot

Just read the chronicle article and this was in the Best story

But Best also assured fans that the trip to the US has only made the squad more secure.

He said: “The team spirit is brilliant here and anybody who suggests it’s not is wrong."

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/07/28/leon-best-just-wants-to-score-goals-at-nufc-72703-29133016/2/#ixzz1TPIZ07WK

So for all the spastic journalists who have been tweeting about the camp falling apart...kindly fuck off.

Asked if he’d like to stay at Newcastle, Best told the Chronicle: “Definitely.

“I went to see the manager as soon as I got back from holiday.

“He told me that what was in the papers wasn’t anything to do with him or the club.

“There was a lot of stuff out there, but it was just paper talk.

Good news if true.

:thup:

If this is true then its good news. Never could quite understand why he didn't deserve to be kept on.

This story surfaced a few weeks back, and a simple denial from the club was all that was needed - both for fans, and it seems the player.

Just don't get why they can't be arsed to communicate on this kind of thing.

Ba, Best, Shola and hopefully Erding would be a decent strikeforce going into next year.

Best showed in his 9 or 10 starts that he's a Premier League player imo. With Long it's an expensive risk.

He has a lovely touch, Long. But I think he's one of those strikers who'd go missing against the better sides.

I don't rate Leon like Ronaldo (the poster) does. However changing him for Long or anything would be retarded. Best needs to be 3rd choice striker and by that I mean Ameobi being 4th choice. If we only play one striker upfront I don't actually mind Best being 2nd choice but still feel we need to do everything to get a new striker in but if there's not the right player I don't mind having Best to start a few games if Ba injures himself or so.

I don't think changing Best for Long would be "retarded" at all. I'm not saying Long is a much better player than Best now, but he certainly has the potential to be.

Long is also a better compliment to Ba/Shola/Ranger in that he's highly mobile, pacey and runs the channels hard. Also a good target for through balls from Barton/Cabaye.

I like Best for what he did when given his chance last season, and it would be a tough decision to move him on, but Long certainly has the potential to be a very good signing for us.

Also, if we are going to play one up front in some games you could argue that Best is only third choice behind Shola and BaBa.

:lol: ''retarded''

No doubt about the potential but again it's ALL about the 'potential'. Can he do it in the big games? Will he get bullied if played upfront alone? Will he make us a good profit when sold on? ;) All these questions need to be answered. And I seriously hope Ameobi is behind Best in the pecking order.

Give Best service and he's proven that he'll get us goals - he may not be a 20 goal striker - but with a good run of form and some decent service I can easilly see him getting 10 goals for us. 

I like him, think hes a bit Raw at times - but nothing against him at all. 

I'd say Best is at the most, 3rd choice at striker ahead of Shola (and assuming we get another in).  Best would be suited as a spot starter, maybe no more than 3 or 4 games in a row.  He impressed me in his short spell last year but that could be a function of the opponents not being familiar with him as much as his talent.  Probably not good enough to be a day in day out striker because of the holes in his game but certainly good enough to be effective in our rotation.

I don't think changing Best for Long would be "retarded" at all. I'm not saying Long is a much better player than Best now, but he certainly has the potential to be.

Long is also a better compliment to Ba/Shola/Ranger in that he's highly mobile, pacey and runs the channels hard. Also a good target for through balls from Barton/Cabaye.

I like Best for what he did when given his chance last season, and it would be a tough decision to move him on, but Long certainly has the potential to be a very good signing for us.

Also, if we are going to play one up front in some games you could argue that Best is only third choice behind Shola and BaBa.

I've only seen the YT videos of Long and he looks very lively, but from that it's hard to tell on his finishing ability which is pretty crucial for a striker. If you've seen him and think he can put them away then he'd do for me. I think there's a good chance he'll end up here if Erdinc dithers too long.

Guest MrSundlofer

Good news, very decent 4th choice forward.

...and even if he is 4th choice forward he will get a lot of games this season. Players will get injured, suspended etc.

Guest TurboTrev

Glad he's not being moved on, he showed glimpses of promise last season, he'll be a very useful squad member. :thup:

I still think Ben Arfa is nailed on to play behind another forward so it's Ba, Ben Arfa, new, Best.

With Vuckic, Shola, Ranger and Loven in an emergency.

:thup:

Watched the training session before the Kansas game and Best's finishing was immaculate. During shooting practice he scored from about 6/8 attempts. The only other player tucking them away was Ba. Abeid could generate real power on his shots but wasn't able to hit the corners.

Best also looks the best all round athlete of the bunch and showed great determination in the practice match.