Leon Best

Godot

I like him. He's showing good spirit.

Exactly. The point of this team now is that it is full of supposed expensive flops, hasbeens and written off players. I'm glad he's up for the challenge of proving everybody wrong.

I like this "Newcastle United against the world" spirit we seem to have got going. Instead of letting the critics win, we're using it as positive ammunition to shoot them back down. I hope we can keep it up.

Wish he would have quoted some Drake lyrics, would have been mint.

He's not bad, not great either - but hes scored 4 goals. 3 of which contribued to 3 pts and 1 which contributed to 1 pt.  I'm not complaining.  He is actually a pretty good finisher with his feet, pretty woeful in the air.

Those finishes in his hat trick were class though, and that is something that can't be overlooked.

In the last 5 games hes scored 3 against West ham, won us the corner we scored from v Sunderland, hit the post v Tottenham & then scored 2 fair goals & got an assist v Arsenal.

If he was luckier v tottenham & Arsenal, he'd have helped us win 10 points from 12 in those 4 games, 3 of which were against sides in the top 6.

Hes hardly done that badly atall to say the least. Some of criticism is a bit embarrassingly over the top.

He was pivotal on Saturday and I think he'll get goals if given a run. Never going to be a world beater but at this moment in time, he's not a bad option.

When you see this thread it says "Leon Best gets put d.." and I always assume he's been shot or something to end his pain.

:slowclap:

Despite looking cumbersome at times in five PL starts he has four goals, had a good one disallowed and hit the underside of the bar, so for someone brought in as a squad player it's been a decent return.

It's great watching players with sublime skill but it's also good to watch less talented players who work very hard to achieve success.

Guest EastEndGeordie

The thing about Leon Best is that based on statistics ( http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/32242/leon-best?cc=5739 ) he actually has a great scoring record in the PL, coming out at a goal in every 1.5 match. However, watching him play he is very similar to Bent in that he scores yet proceeds to do very little to actually help the team. But at this stage in the season we need a target man like best to be able to grab a couple of goals that will help keep us up, also he is only 24 and thus has time to improve and so we should see how he goes until the end of the season as a run in the first team will help him improve.

I have no real problem with Best. Yeah, he went a good few games without a goal, but that happens to even the best strikers in the world. Sure I remember Shearer being on a run a few times where he'd been 10 or so games without a goal, it just happens to forwards.

Not saying he's Shearer-esque of course, but he's not as bad as some make out. He looks crap in the air, but he's got a good technique on the ground, good touch and a good shot. Confident he can see us safely through to the end of the season and should bang a few in.

I'd certainly start him ahead of Lovenkrands and Ranger. Though as we're decimated by injuries and it's 2 up top I'd go with Best and Ranger.

Not that this means much I'd much prefer him in the team than Kuqi.

He is average at best but the only real option at the moment, I really hope Best and Ranger start today. Next season Best shouldn't be anywhere near our team and Ranger should be out on loan to a team that pretty much guarentees him a start.