Toon Army: North America

Guest toonarmymia

Random intrigue question. Are most of the people who meet up in America to watch the matches ex-pats or just American Newcastle fans?

Probably a bit of both.  Used to ba a few ex-pats in Chicago watching in The Globe,  Seems i am the only ex-pat watching there now, rest are American.

There's always been only one when I've gone too, maybe two or three others are Americans.

Guest hydeous

Anyone know places that'll show the game in Austin? I'm here for another three weeks before I head back to India to the late-night games that I've gotten used to.

If nothing else, what channel do the games normally show on? My TV here seems to have 3 ESPN channels on which I've only seen baseball and sportscenter and 1 golf channel.

Anyone know places that'll show the game in Austin? I'm here for another three weeks before I head back to India to the late-night games that I've gotten used to.

If nothing else, what channel do the games normally show on? My TV here seems to have 3 ESPN channels on which I've only seen baseball and sportscenter and 1 golf channel.

Any place that has Fox Soccer Channel and you'll be good.

Any place that has Fox Soccer Channel and you'll be good.

^ This.

You guys have a Fado downtown, it will 100% be on there.

Legends Football Factory was brilliant on Saturday. I'd say somewhere between 30-50 Toon fans sang & cheered their hearts and voices out.  Had a wonderful time and wish I could watch it with them more often.

Wish there wasn't just Cuba, myself and a few others who I don't really know in Orlando.  Makes me want to start a supporters group here and at least have something going here.

Anyway, I'll be in New Orleans French Quarter the weekend of Sept 02 match vs Villa. Anyone know of a good pub to catch the match?  Thanks in advance.

Oui oui, moi aussi in Tdot. Although this weekend I look to watch it from my bed. Been a rough week already :p

The Duke of Gloucestor is always good to catch toon games.

Is that the one at Yonge & St. Clair?

There's another "Duke" pub nearer to me - Duke of Somerset (?) at Bay & Gerrard.  Mayhaps I'll venture forth and watch there.  Although bed is also a tempting option...

Duke of Somerset was not ready for prime time.  The match was on Sportsnet One - a basic channel on any cable package - and they didn't have it.  Manager dude tried clicking around to various channels and whatnot without success, but the clock was ticking down to kickoff, so I bolted. 

I speedwalked a block to another pub - the Wolf and Firkin, which thankfully has Sportsnet One!  I used to hang out at the Wolf and Firkin a lot, but the food is s*** and I found better places.  But they came though this time. 

A pub without decent cable FFS!

Anyway, Ben Arfa, yes, result.  :)

Anyway, I'll be in New Orleans French Quarter the weekend of Sept 02 match vs Villa. Anyone know of a good pub to catch the match?  Thanks in advance.

I watched us get thrashed by Tottenham last season in a place called Ryan's.  It's on the corner of Decatur and Beinville.  Nice little pub.

I watched us get thrashed by Tottenham last season in a place called Ryan's.  It's on the corner of Decatur and Beinville.  Nice little pub.

Should I not test fate and just skip it? :lol: Might have to find another pub my friend. Bad omens there!

f***ing hell, OK. Just be sure to text me where you sat and I'll avoid that seat.  I don't even sit in the seat that I sat in for the Spurs match at the Celt.

But thanks again, will end up going there for sure then as its only 6 blocks from my hotel. :thup:

You stateside fuckers get around a bit don't you!! Awesome knowledge of bars in cities hundreds or even thousands of miles away. Cuba in particular sounds like he has been to every city in the US to watch football.

You stateside fuckers get around a bit don't you!! Awesome knowledge of bars in cities hundreds or even thousands of miles away. Cuba in particular sounds like he has been to every city in the US to watch football.

I wish.  I've been to my fair share of places but there are many places (like NYC for instance) that I have yet to visit.  I feel very fortunate to have visited the places that I have though, travel was always what my parents decided to spend their money on when I was growing up and I try to keep that up.

I wish.  I've been to my fair share of places but there are many places (like NYC for instance) that I have yet to visit.  I feel very fortunate to have visited the places that I have though, travel was always what my parents decided to spend their money on when I was growing up and I try to keep that up.

Hah, its funny.  I'm shocked Cuba's never been to NYC I feel like he's been everywhere too.  I've actually got a pretty decent list of bars that I like in nearly every major city in the States as like Cuba, I've travelled a fair bit with my family, friends, or whoever I've been dating at the time. 

:lol: though, I def posted about New Orleans and was hoping for a Cuba response, even though I could have called or texted him.  :fool:

Not sure why really, it just never worked out/was meant to be.  Would like to go there eventually (may head up in October actually to do some research/go to a wedding as well) but always had other things on my plate as far as traveling went.  The list of places I'd REALLY like to go is pretty long before it gets to NYC.  I'd rather do Chicago over NYC for example.

edit: to me it's kind of like this; if I went to France, I'd skip Paris all together, as it has zero appeal to me, and spend most of my time in the countryside meeting real locals and trying great farmhouse food and regional beers.

On a side but related note, heading to Asheville this weekend, anyone know of a pub/bar in town that'll be open for the Chelsea match?  I'm thinking Jack of the Wood.