Toon Army: North America

Guest toonarmymia

My first post on here after finding this site and lurking around the past few months.  I am excited for this tour but am worried as I am getting married on July 23rd and we are having our honeymoon right after.  I mean how could I live with myself if the lads are in the country and I do not make it out to see them and conversely I won't be alive if our honeymoon consists of following the lads across the states. 

My first post on here after finding this site and lurking around the past few months.  I am excited for this tour but am worried as I am getting married on July 23rd and we are having our honeymoon right after.  I mean how could I live with myself if the lads are in the country and I do not make it out to see them and conversely I won't be alive if our honeymoon consists of following the lads across the states. 

Congrats! I got married last summer on July 23. I'm not sure how the wife will feel about a trip to see Newcastle on our first anniversary, so hopefully they don't play that day for both of us.

Newcastle United will take on American side Sporting Kansas City in an international friendly this summer.

The teams will meet on Wednesday, July 20 at the Livestrong Sporting Park in Kansas, which is currently under construction. It will be the second international event held at the state-of-the-art, $200 million venue.

Major League Soccer's newest soccer-specific stadium will host a 2011 Concacaf gold cup doubleheader on June 14, featuring the United States men's national team, before the visit of The Magpies.

Last summer, Sporting Kansas City defeated Manchester United in front of 52,424 fans at Arrowhead Stadium, the largest crowd to ever attend a football match in Kansas City. Kansas also hosted the Clasico between Mexico's two most popular clubs, Chivas Guadalajara and Club America, in 2009.

Sporting's club CEO Robb Heineman said. "We are excited to bring a club that has such a passionate following and we are hopeful that their great fans will join us in Kansas City at Livestrong Sporting Park."

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew added: "Myself and the team are really looking forward to coming to America in the summer and playing against Sporting Kansas City. We're planning a few days training in Kansas before the game which will form an integral part of our build up for the 2011/12 season.

"I know Manchester United were in Kansas last year, and went home beaten, so we know full well what a tough game it'll be for us, but that's exactly the sort of challenge we'll be looking for.

"We're delighted also to be able to put on a technical clinic for the coaches in Kansas which we hope will assist with the development of the sport in the region.

"It should be a very good week for all concerned and I would like to express our thanks to the people of Kansas for extending the invitation to us."

From .co.uk

I should point out that (confusingly) the Kansas City where Sporting KC play is actually in Missouri, not Kansas - though there is a Kansas City, Kansas that neighbors it to the west. 

"We're delighted also to be able to put on a technical clinic for the coaches in Kansas which we hope will assist with the development of the sport in the region."

Oh my fucking god.

I've never felt so guilty. I'm sorry Kansas. I'm sorry for what we're about to do to the future of your Football Club.

Sorry.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Does anybody on here have any connection to the footy or sports industry in KC?  Maybe we can try to bulk buy some tickets and get a whole section.  It would be great if we were louder than whatever poor saps come out to cheer the KC Sporting Wizards or whatever the f*** they're called now.

Guest WisconsinMagpie

I was referred to this forum by the original poster, toonarmymia... a fellow U.S. sportswriter and I have started a website for Newcastle United fans in America, and it's exciting to see all the posts in this thread, especially with the U.S. summer tour just being announced. Everyone is more than welcome to visit us at www.newcastleunited.us - if you click the Toon Platoons badge on the front page of our site you'll see a growing list of pubs and clubs where American NUFC fans have been gathering. Feel free to add your own by commenting on the post.

Most American fans who follow English football have adopted Manchester United or Arsenal or Liverpool in sort of a bandwagon-jumping, front-running way. But Newcastle United is gaining popularity as an alternative for people who are in it not just for wins but for the incredible passion of the NUFC fans. Can't wait to see the club play in person for the first time this summer, and at St. James' when I visit England next winter. We'll be planning some meet-ups for fans at the games this summer - hope to meet a lot of you.

I was referred to this forum by the original poster, toonarmymia... a fellow U.S. sportswriter and I have started a website for Newcastle United fans in America, and it's exciting to see all the posts in this thread, especially with the U.S. summer tour just being announced. Everyone is more than welcome to visit us at www.newcastleunited.us - if you click the Toon Platoons badge on the front page of our site you'll see a growing list of pubs and clubs where American NUFC fans have been gathering. Feel free to add your own by commenting on the post.

Most American fans who follow English football have adopted Manchester United or Arsenal or Liverpool in sort of a bandwagon-jumping, front-running way. But Newcastle United is gaining popularity as an alternative for people who are in it not just for wins but for the incredible passion of the NUFC fans. Can't wait to see the club play in person for the first time this summer, and at St. James' when I visit England next winter. We'll be planning some meet-ups for fans at the games this summer - hope to meet a lot of you.

Cheers  :thup:

Guest toonarmymia

Amongst the various NUFC groups over here, there's discussion started for a massive meetup. Anyone interested, I'll keep updated