Toon Army: North America

Guest toonarmymia

Crew president and general manager Mark McCullers said: "We are pleased once again to bring top-flight international soccer right here to Columbus and to provide the best competitive challenge for our team. The English Premier League is arguably the best league in the world and Newcastle United is one of its most storied clubs."

That's an interesting way of describing NUFC.

Guest WisconsinMagpie

In your article it says the MLS all-star game rules out a midweek visit to RBA, but they already have a midweek game (Columbus).

Haha, good point. I was mixing the weeks up there.

Guest toonarmymia

In your article it says the MLS all-star game rules out a midweek visit to RBA, but they already have a midweek game (Columbus).

Haha, good point. I was mixing the weeks up there.

So who's the likely opposition now in MLS? Also, is possible that they play another European team?

They did a four team event at RBA last summer called the Barclay's New York Challenge with Spurs, Man City, Sporting Lisbon and Red Bulls. Each team played two games - the PL clubs did not face each other. It also turned out to be Henry's debut.

Everton and Newcastle are in the area, Red Bulls are free, just need one more to make it happen again. Could even shorten it to a single doubleheader with Everton/Newcastle v. Red Bulls and the other vs. ? Would love this.

(By the way, I'm just making shit up that I hope happens)

Guest WisconsinMagpie

So who's the likely opposition now in MLS? Also, is possible that they play another European team?

Did some schedule-checking and updated the post. L.A., Vancouver, Toronto and New York are the most likely candidates now. Barca and AC Milan are touring the US at the same time, playing each other and Manchester United and America of Mexico. Frankly I don't think Newcastle would fit in that group for the US audience. But we'll work on that.  :thup:

http://www.newcastleunited.us/2011/04/everton-date-rules-out-dc-for-newcastle-tour.html

The match will complete the Magpies' trip to the States, with games either side for Alan Pardew's team, who will also take on Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday, July 20, and Columbus Crew on Tuesday, July 26.

Fuck my life.  :weep:

Was not expecting Orlando.

Me neither.  I was scrolling down my facebook page and trying to figure out why the Orlando City crest was on the Newcastle feed and then had a glorious moment of realization.

Now to find where they are training.  Hopefully it's at the University of Central Florida, which happens to be next to my house, but there's a possibility that it would be Rollins College, which is next to my work.  Very excited.

I can host some people at my place if people need a cheap place to stay.  Orlando is full of cheap hotels though too!

I'll PM you if needed. I have a few options if I stay down there.

This is crazy, might have to skip out on Kansas City, go to Columbus, and hopefully fly down to Florida. That would be awesome.