Best Decade Of Football For NUFC?

Guest EastEndGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest EastEndGeordie

Hey, just think about the history of our club and how much trouble we've had yet at the same time about all the good times. So I was just wondering which decade (regardless of whether you were alive then) do you think was the best for our club?

List the reasons why as well.

1900's,  we were the Man U of that time, dominating the game,  look at our league record,  after finishing 6th in 1900-01, we were never out of the top 4 apart from 1902-3 and winning the league 3 times on 05,07 and 09 and 5 Fa cup finals if you include the 1911 season although we only won it the once in 1910.  If we'd have won it in 05 we'd have won the double (not sure but i think we'd have been the first team to do that).

I just can't have any frame of reference when you go back to the 1900's. At least with the Cup Final's in the 50's you can see a bit of footage and some of the names are familiar but the 1900's don't even register. 

Terms of consistent success..late 1890s/early 20th Century.

Terms of success within last century - 1950s ; great players as well as cup winners 3 times

Terms of attacking football, most visible and memorable time - 1990s.

56 years since we won a domestic trophy. :neutral:

Who needs domestic trophies when we have:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kLYfH-okVHM/TFiO1rFSToI/AAAAAAAAB-s/KoWUJPtTp5E/s1600/Trofeo+Teresa+Herrera.jpg

Ain't many trophies out there to win larger than that one.

Guest toonarmymia

...and whatever the f**k this was, when we won the Intertoto Cup in 2006

http://en.archive.uefa.com/multimediafiles/photo/competitions/intertotocup/431444_mediumsquare.jpg

If I was 120 years old, my opinion would probably be different, but since I'm only 27 I'm limited to either the 90's or 00's!

Although the first couple of years of the 90's were pretty rubbish, after Keegan tipped up and until he left, we had a brilliant team capable of beating anyone.  The last couple of years of the 90's were pretty average, so you could say that the 90's were mostly brilliant and occasionally crap.

The 00's started pretty badly, but again, SBR saved things only for us to bin him and fade away again.  Despite our European nights and challenging for silverware in fits and bursts, relegation and the FCB ended the decade on a very sour note.

Therefore, the 90's gets my vote for Albert, Ginola, Keegan, Shearer, Ferdinand, Asprilla, Lee, Watson, Beresford, Batty.......

For me there's 3 answers to this question:

1900s - Technically the correct answer

1950s - Most recent time we were actually winning things that people are still alive to remember

1990s - The most recent time that I actually remember

For me there's 3 answers to this question:

1900s - Technically the correct answer

1950s - Most recent time we were actually winning things that people are still alive to remember

1990s - The most recent time that I actually remember

............is a very neat summation.

The 1990's were by far the best period to be a Newcastle fan in my nearly forty years of supporting the club.

My Dad agreed with this, he rated Keegan's side as the best he'd ever seen, even though he saw us lift the FA Cup in '55 and the Fairs Cup in '69.

My old Granda on the other hand, was a boy in the Edwardian era and saw us win EVERYTHING, three league Championships and two FA Cups.