We Haven't Won 10 Out Of 14 At Home (So Far...)

Crumpy Gunt

Ashleys remit of only buying players who can handle the pressure of playing in front of 52k at SJP seems a bit hollow. Luckily the away form is keeping the wolf off the door. Or, it could be viewed as the reason we aren't realistically kicking on for a Euro place.

Maybe Pardew has a bigger job on his hands than he (and we) thought.

Guest optimistic nit

we're still 9th in our first season in back in the prem and have spent the last 2 and a half months without a decent striker. sign the right players in the summer and we'll be sweet.

we're still 9th in our first season in back in the prem and have spent the last 2 and a half months without a decent striker. sign the right players in the summer and we'll be sweet.

I'm more suggesting we've wasted a wonderful opportunity to progress further than the majority would have thought possible on the back of some genuinely shit results at home. 4 wins in 14 is a piss poor return that would normally see a Club in trouble.

Ashleys remit of only buying players who can handle the pressure of playing in front of 52k at SJP seems a bit hollow. Luckily the away form is keeping the wolf off the door. Or, it could be viewed as the reason we aren't realistically kicking on for a Euro place.

Maybe Pardew has a bigger job on his hands than he (and we) thought.

Our form is improving, we have played well and deserved to win more than 4.

Guest optimistic nit

I'm more suggesting we've wasted a wonderful opportunity to progress further than the majority would have thought possible on the back of some genuinely shit results at home. 4 wins in 14 is a piss poor return that would normally see a Club in trouble.

we haven't been perfect this year but 9th is still 9th and its been a good season regardless imo.

In all honesty, I can see where CG is coming from. You've been very close to more points than you currently have and I can see why some would argue you've so far missed an opportunity to be higher than you are.

Ultimately though, that's all football is: ifs and buts. Barring a sensational collapse in the remaining games, this season will of course go down as a success.

Had we just beat Stoke and Blackpool we'd be comfortably 6th.  Proper annoying to think about.

If we hadn't conceded consecutive stoppage time goals to the mackems and Spurs, then we'd be in 6th as well. You can play the if game all the way in the Champion's League.

Going backwards through our home games though:

Drawing with Bolton is ok, Drawing with Arsenal is great, we nearly beat Spurs but a point is still good, before that we beat West Ham, yeah we lost to City, but we beat Liverpool and drew with the champions.

So I think we're doing alright at home, its just that hat-trick of mingers in September/October.

We are in the top half, and our aim was/is to stay up. Because of this I don't care too much about our home/away form, just want as many points as possible and guarenteed safety ASAP.

We are in the top half, and our aim was/is to stay up. Because of this I don't care too much about our home/away form, just want as many points as possible and guarenteed safety ASAP.

:thup:

One of the few areas you can really make an argument against Hughton. In hindsight those games against Blackpool, Blackburn, Stoke, Wigan, Fulham could all prove costly and at the opposite end of the table to where everyone imagined. For a while people have brushed them under the carpet because we'd been performing well enough to stay out of the relegation fight and Europe was nothing more than a very distant thought but, come the end of the season they may be the difference between, considering the circumstances of the season, a really massive achievement for the club.