Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

Just rolling an idea around, just trying to promote discussion....

Which one of our signings under Graham Carr do people think has really set the Prem alight?

HBA? Clearly brilliant but inconsistent

Cabaye? 1 good season 1 average

Tiote? Good under CH tbf, pretty good for the rest of that year under AP, pretty good season after that followed by a fairly poor 1

Santon? Thought he looked quite poor at times last year

Anita? Still not sure what he's good at (in the Prem)

Marveaux? Good vision and technique, quick too. Doesn't impose himself enough.

Cisse? 1 great half season 1 mediocre full season

Gosling? No, not at all

Bigi? Good prospect

Haidara? Good prospect

Abeid? Not really

Sissoko? Looked good for 3 games

MYM? Clearly talented, has been somethings to worry about if we're honest (although he might/probs will iron those out but SO FAR hasn't)

Gouffran? Has done OK. Not contributed much for goals and assists

Amalfitano? No, not really.

I think i've read that Ba and Elliot were more to do with AP. 1 has been great and 1 ok. Also Obertan is an AP signing and he's unmitigated cr@p.

When you look at it, there is a possibility that some of those players aren't really the quality we make them out to be (although HBA is clearly world class at times).

When i think of a player who has, by and large, looked quality despite the gloom and low morale it's Colo. Because he's just a class player and that will always shine through. The others, it's possibly debatable.

So, with being silly. Has Pardew got any semblance of a point if he's saying that players he's been given aren't necessarily the D'sBs they're made out to be?

Nah, they are top, top quality players bought at unbelievable prices and ahead of better clubs. He's done a f***ing amazing job.

If they were top, top quality players i think they would look it tbh.

You will get into trouble suggesting he had anything to do with our poor UK signings  :lol:

Gosling was the only poor one i listed. Obvs don't don't know the extent he was involved.

Guest neesy111

Carr's signings for me haven't been no where near as good as people think.  We almost got relegated with them last season and the players themselves had a huge proportion of the blame for that.

Guest Roger Kint

You will get into trouble suggesting he had anything to do with our poor UK signings  :lol:

Gosling was the only poor one i listed. Obvs don't don't know the extent he was involved.

I would guess no involvment if you had a poll.

Which one of our signings under Graham Carr do people think has really set the Prem alight?

Tiote? Good under CH tbf, pretty good for the rest of that year under AP, pretty good season after that followed by a fairly poor 1

Gosling? No, not at all

Bigi? Good prospect

Haidara? Good prospect

Abeid? Not really

MYM? Clearly talented, has been somethings to worry about if we're honest (although he might/probs will iron those out but SO FAR hasn't)

I think i've read that Ba and Elliot were more to do with AP. 1 has been great and 1 ok. Also Obertan is an AP signing and he's unmitigated cr@p.

When you look at it, there is a possibility that some of those players aren't really the quality we make them out to be (although HBA is clearly world class at times).

When i think of a player who has, by and large, looked quality despite the gloom and low morale it's Colo. Because he's just a class player and that will always shine through. The others, it's possibly debatable.

So, with being silly. Has Pardew got any semblance of a point if he's saying that players he's been given aren't necessarily the D'sBs they're made out to be?

If you play horrendous tactics, play players out of position and generally drum all creative instinct out of your squad you can make any player look a lot worse than they are.  Some may overate players at times, but IMO they're undoubtedly very good players overall.  Also who knows how prominent Marveaux could have been last season had Pardew actually fucking played him.  Basically every time he got a chance he looked excellent, and while a lot is said about his injuries he was available for quite a few more games than he was involved in last season.

As far as Sissoko goes, he was absolutely brilliant for 3 games, than tried his best to drag us through and slowly lost momentum and belief, and of course got injured.  Again to me it comes down to being misused and in a seriously malfunctioning setup.

Guest Roger Kint

Carr's signings for me haven't been no where near as good as people think.  We almost got relegated with them last season and the players themselves had a huge proportion of the blame for that.

Yep can agree with that, he has found us very good players at amazing prices but they are often over rated by fans.

So they have been near as good as people think?

Just kidding, bit of a double negative there :)

Yep can agree with that, he has found us very good players at amazing prices but they are often over rated by fans.

I don't know about this like, especially if we are judging people like Sissoko and Mapou based on January onwards in a failing team for less than one season.

IMO almost everyone listed above is proper PL quality, we just didn't function as a team last season. It's the most exciting group of players we've had for ages, and Carr is mainly the man responsible.

Gosling? No, not at all

Bigi? Good prospect

Haidara? Good prospect

Abeid? Not really

Agree with most of your assessments on those players - the biggest disappointment is a toss up between Tiote and Cisse after brilliant starts by both. Nearly ALL the players have deteriorated over the past season and some of this HAS to be down to Pardew/Coaching staff and the way the players are used in their team system. Tiote, for example, was, as you say, excellent under Hughton, far better both on and off the ball - in fact, the mainspring behind our win at Everton in his first game. Cisse was a scoring sensation after signing in 2011/12 season and whilst I expected him to find it a bit tougher against now-aware defenders last time,

he has been uncomfortable in the team set up.

Maybe that applies to most of the players - I would dearly like to see how KK or SBR would have used these players but that is all theory. There are big questions about the management and coaching in my view.

I mean, do people think we could realistically sign better players than Sissoko, Mapou, Ben Arfa, Cisse and all them? We have problems at the club, but the players Carr is getting are the very, very least of our worries. They are quality, last season was just exceptionally poor all round.

I think every one of the players you just mentioned had pages of "No chance we'll get him" or "Far too good for us" posts before we signed them.  Obviously that doesn't mean they're world beaters and you never know how a player will adapt to a new league, but generally I think they're all high quality.

Guest Roger Kint

I don't know about this like, especially if we are judging people like Sissoko and Mapou based on January onwards in a failing team for less than one season.

IMO almost everyone listed above is proper PL quality, we just didn't function as a team last season. It's the most exciting group of players we've had for ages, and Carr is mainly the man responsible.

I said the were very good, it is entirely possible to still over rate them though isnt it?  :undecided:

I mean, do people think we could realistically sign better players than Sissoko, Mapou, Ben Arfa, Cisse and all them? We have problems at the club, but the players Carr is getting are the very, very least of our worries. They are quality, last season was just exceptionally poor all round.

Most certainly not, the signings have been fantastic on a whole. Last season was a complete write off, it was a shocking season all around from players, to management, to board level. I was actually looking forward to going again next season to see how we bounce back, as actually i was very positive we would give a good account of ourselves. After all this carry on past few days, i'm really not sure what to think. I’m certainly not looking forward to 'going again' that’s for sure.

I said the were very good, it is entirely possible to still over rate them though isnt it?  :undecided:

I suppose so, yeah!