Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

A big reason for the midfield being too far from the forwards is the players. Telling Cabaye to play further up the pitch for instance would probably create more problems than it would solve.

Cabaye does well when he gets further up the pitch.

He gets more shots and exposes our worst central player and the defence. That's about it.

Guest neesy111

Cabaye feels the need to do the work of other players who aren't pulling their weight but hasn't got the mobility to feel omnipresent. You either partner him with a midfielder who works very hard so he feels he can push on or you play a proper midfield 3 and make sure the work is spread out more evenly. I don't mind him filling the deep lying playmaker role such as Pirlo but do mind him effectively doing Tiote's job.

:thup:

I've said this for a while, he should let games come to him instead of chasing them.

Play him with Sissoko, let Sissoko break forward and have Cabaye play the Pirlo role.

Have Tiote mop up behind.

Cabaye and Tiote started a criminally low number of games together last season, the midfield has to be allowed to settle.

Then play with two runners either side, Ben Arfa and Santon I'd argue.

Back line can be Debuchy, Taylor, Coloccini and M'Biwa, if he's content to continue playing at LB for now.  He seems to enjoy getting forward.

In home games, or away games against weaker teams, drop one of Tiote/Sissoko, and play someone with Cisse.  We don't really have the type of player to partner Cisse at this moment in time, but I'd argue that it would need to be someone like David Villa, who can hold the ball up and create as well as score goals.  Cisse will smash in plenty of chances, but we can't rely on him as a lone forward.  He can pick up on the deflections and scraps in the spaces created by the second striker.

Play him with Sissoko, let Sissoko break forward and have Cabaye play the Pirlo role.

Have Tiote mop up behind.

Cabaye and Tiote started a criminally low number of games together last season, the midfield has to be allowed to settle.

Then play with two runners either side, Ben Arfa and Santon I'd argue.

Back line can be Debuchy, Taylor, Coloccini and M'Biwa, if he's content to continue playing at LB for now.  He seems to enjoy getting forward.

In home games, or away games against weaker teams, drop one of Tiote/Sissoko, and play someone with Cisse.  We don't really have the type of player to partner Cisse at this moment in time, but I'd argue that it would need to be someone like David Villa, who can hold the ball up and create as well as score goals.  Cisse will smash in plenty of chances, but we can't rely on him as a lone forward.  He can pick up on the deflections and scraps in the spaces created by the second striker.

same problem as last season imo, only cisse in the box or looking to get on the end of anything or sissoko like last season looking out of place when playing that role.

Cabaye feels the need to do the work of other players who aren't pulling their weight but hasn't got the mobility to feel omnipresent. You either partner him with a midfielder who works very hard so he feels he can push on or you play a proper midfield 3 and make sure the work is spread out more evenly. I don't mind him filling the deep lying playmaker role such as Pirlo but do mind him effectively doing Tiote's job.

I've said this for a while, he should let games come to him instead of chasing them.

Completely agree, the way i see it is Sissoko and Cabaye is fine but its that other piece of the puzzle in regards to that midfield.

Tiote doesn't fill it and Anita doesn't seem to be trusted.

Then of course there's the obviously striker and width problem, then hoping Pardew can make it work which i don't have much confidence in.

I live in hope anyway.

Completely agree, the way i see it is Sissoko and Cabaye is fine but its that other piece of the puzzle in regards to that midfield.

Tiote doesn't fill it and Anita doesn't seem to be trusted.

Then of course there's the obviously striker and width problem, then hoping Pardew can make it work which i don't have much confidence in.

I live in hope anyway.

thats because with sissoko pushed forward in support of cisse we've had to mess about with the middle. get someone else who has it in him to get in the box but not necessarily play up top through the middle, give ben arfa or merveaux a freer role and anita-sissoko-cabaye in the middle, all three comfortable on the ball, can defend (which means more than just winning tackles), can pick the ball up off the defenders.

Guest Phil K

I read some of these lineups and become convinced people don't want us to score goals.

We aren't scoring much as it is

Guest SweMatt

From the Man City game thread:

---------------------- Krul ------------------------

Debuchy ----- Colo ------ S Taylor ------Santon

---------------------- Tiote ----------------------

------------ Cabaye -------- Sissoko ------------

Ben Arfa ------------------------------ Marveaux

---------------------- Cissé ----------------------

:)

I really wish we could figure out a way to get Ben Arfa & Marv on the pitch at the same time. Would be brilliant to see that.

Pretty easy really.

mmm no its not either or both are crocked at the same time  ;D

I really wish we could figure out a way to get Ben Arfa & Marv on the pitch at the same time. Would be brilliant to see that.

Pretty easy really.

mmm no its not either or both are crocked at the same time  ;D

and to fit both in it tends to mean both playing off the front man but neither is any good at getting on the end of things hence, cisse isolated again.

the ben arfa/marveaux combo is what I was after last season till having seen them enough to realise none of them gives any support to the striker.

More holes than a sieve in this article from The Journal , one one hand says Carr looking abroad still while Pardew looking domestic  :undecided:

Clarification has most certainly been sought on his remit in the wake of Kinnear’s appointment, but he is ready to push on in the hunt for new overseas talent.

Carr’s relationship with Pardew is not beyond repair either, with the pair having spoken regularly since the season ended. As recently as Monday they were in contact to talk club business, which suggests there is a willingness to move on.

The question now is whether Newcastle will train their focus on the domestic market – which is something Pardew has been pushing for several years.

The Journal understands there has already been contact between the United manager and striker target Darren Bent, while he has also recommended West Ham defender James Tomkins as a centre-back target

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/06/22/newcastle-united-star-ben-arfa-keen-to-discuss-new-contract-61634-33509641/#ixzz2Ww219jmk

The tide is slowly starting shift back to the hatred for Pardew again after the recent week meltdown over Kinnear. Guess this just helped people take their eye away from the Pardew out campaign, now JFK hasn’t sprouted any lies for a few days, it's full speed ahead for Pardew out.

Tomkins isn't awful, he's just extremely average. Williamson out, Tomkins in with the money we receive. I think that's a worthwhile swap.

West Ham want £8 million plus for him!