Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

Graham Carr to stay at Newcastle despite Joe Kinnear's appointment

• Chief scout's decision follows meeting with Mike Ashley

• Alan Shearer says he was not consulted on bar name chan

Louise Taylor

guardian.co.uk, Friday 21 June 2013 10.33 BST

Joe Kinnear's arrival at Newcastle had caused Graham Carr to consider his position at the club. Photograph: Matt Roberts / Rex Features/Matt Roberts/Rex Features

Graham Carr is set to stay at Newcastle United following a meeting with Mike Ashley, the club's owner. Newcastle's super-scout was widely regarded as de facto director of football before Joe Kinnear's shock appointment to that newly formalised role and had been considering his position on learning he would be answerable to the former Wimbledon manager.

Although Carr and Alan Pardew have not always seen eye to eye with Newcastle's manager frustrated by his inability to have the final say on signings, some of which he disagreed with, Carr has made some excellent buys, most notably Hatem Ben Arfa and Yohan Cabaye.

Carr's departure would have left Kinnear solely responsible for recruitment but now the pair will work together, with recruiting a striker – possibly Aston Villa's Darren Bent – their top priority. Meanwhile Douglas, the FC Twente defender is reported to be heartbroken by the late collapse of his long mooted move to Newcastle, which was due to be finalised this week but instead ended up being vetoed by Kinnear at the 11th hour.

Meanwhile Alan Shearer has rebutted the suggestion from John Irving, Newcastle's financial director that the club had liaised with him over the name change which will see St James' Park's iconic Shearer's bar re-invent itself as a venue called "Nine" when it re-opens next month.

"There was no consultation," said Shearer. "I was simply informed by email of the decision to change the name, it was not a question of agreeing or disagreeing. It's their ground and it's up to the owners to do what they want with it. It won't stop me from buying my season ticket and supporting the team."

Although it was a coincidence that news of the name change emerged shortly after Shearer criticised Kinnear's appointment, the long planned switch can be seen as a clear reflection of Ashley's lack of affection for the club's former centre forward.

Shearer is still adored by Newcastle fans who will regard Irving's comment that the popularity of "Shearer's" bar had "dwindled" as a slight on the one-time England striker.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/21/graham-carr-newcastle-joe-kinnear

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Good news. As long as Joe's job is limited to say Y/N on transfers rather than directly scouting we'll be relatively okish

Good news. As long as Joe's job is limited to say Y/N on transfers rather than directly scouting we'll be relatively okish

And he's not allowed to have one-to-one meetings with players.

Oh if only he would respect the boundaries set in place, I think we all know as soon as training starts he will be pitch side "running an eye" over things then shouting instructions, then insulting players then threatening to sell such and such, recommending the system the starting 11.

We all know its going to happen.

Oh if only he would respect the boundaries set in place, I think we all know as soon as training starts he will be pitch side "running an eye" over things then shouting instructions, then insulting players then threatening to sell such and such, recommending the system the starting 11.

Sadly yes, it does seem likely he'll roam around and start fucking things up.

I'm sure thers an old song or ditty: " The lunatics have taken over the Asylum". Sums our club up perfectly.

Perhaps appropriately enough the verse from Brain Damage

The lunatic is in the hall.

The lunatics are in my hall.

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor

And every day the paper boy brings more.

Guest Roger Kint

I'm not finding this all that reassuring. Certainly better than him leaving. But still leaves me totally meh.

Christ :lol:

:sad:

Yep I see this as inevitable I am afraid. The mad, geratric loon will be offering "advice" to all and sundry.

Elsie wont be making the tea right " Stoopid old cannnt, dar bleedin jeeling your havin a bubble".

Pardew will have his team selection wrong (well he most probably will anyway) " You aint doin it righhht my china..Get fuckin Sissy wide n Ben Affleck alonside Goofyone stoopid cannnt".

Carr will be identifying wrong targets.." not more froggies you stoopid cannnt, we want some blood n funder innit, get my mate Fash in on it my old china"

Its all gonna end in tears :'(

And he keels our...soon

Carr's signings for me haven't been no where near as good as people think.  We almost got relegated with them last season and the players themselves had a huge proportion of the blame for that.

Difficult to judge technical footballers under a manager who operates long ball tactics. If you don't understand the difference just think back to how Keegan transformed the Newcastle team left by Sam Allardyce. The same set of players looked totally different under a manager who played them to their strengths.