Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

Carr's signings for me haven't been no where near as good as people think.  We almost got relegated with them last season and the players themselves had a huge proportion of the blame for that.

Difficult to judge technical footballers under a manager who operates long ball tactics. If you don't understand the difference just think back to how Keegan transformed the Newcastle team left by Sam Allardyce. The same set of players looked totally different under a manager who played them to their strengths.

This ^

Carr's signings for me haven't been no where near as good as people think.  We almost got relegated with them last season and the players themselves had a huge proportion of the blame for that.

Difficult to judge technical footballers under a manager who operates long ball tactics. If you don't understand the difference just think back to how Keegan transformed the Newcastle team left by Sam Allardyce. The same set of players looked totally different under a manager who played them to their strengths.

agree with that in a way but i'd like to think it's more due to the team being unbalanced attacking wise, hence sissoko out of position thus cabaye not being in the role we'd want. if we play the same way after (?) we get in that supporting striker then I'd fasll in line with the majority on here re pardew.

:facepalm:

Ignore him man, he thinks buying loads of strikers will magically fix everything.

Ignore him man, he thinks buying loads of strikers will magically fix everything.

When it comes to our players, absolutely this.

Thing is, in terms of value for money Carr's done a very good job. In terms of players suited to the Premier League and specifically our side, and of adequate quality for a team with top 7 ambitions he's not always delivered.

He has a hard task on his hands, though, I think we've signed 2 players for more than £7m since Ashley bought the club. He's probably being told to find average players for less than they're worth.

Guest neesy111

Head in sand as usual.

Thing is, in terms of value for money Carr's done a very job. In terms of players suited to the Premier League and specifically our side, and of adequate quality for a team with top 7 ambitions he's not always delivered.

He has a hard task on his hands, though, I think we've signed 2 players for more than £7m since Ashley bought the club. He's probably being told to find average players for less than they're worth.

I think this is very true. We seem to have very strict criteria for our players: Under 26 and cheap (release fee / free transfers preferred). Now there's fucktons of cheap, U26 players. But not a lot of good, cheap, U26 players. Normally if you want good and young you pay lots, or you pay less and get someone good and old. Trying to match all 3 criteria is not easy. He gets close a lot of the time, but I think it's hard to criticise him for not matching all 3 categories to the max every single time.

Nah its just obvious what the problems are....we don't score goals because the 3 sections of the team are too far apart..... defence is too far from the midfield and the midfield is too far away from the forwards.

Any team would struggle like that, its a fundamental coaching and tactical flaw. Even if we bought Remy and Carroll it still wouldn't change anything..

If you notice when Cisse first arrived and scored all those goals there was common factor..... Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Ba were all around him lending support.

That never happened at any stage last season, our striker be it Ba or Cisse had no support with Cabaye and Ben Arfa like 30 yards behind him regularly.

Carr's signings have been fine from the most part, the problem comes with how they are being used.

A big reason for the midfield being too far from the forwards is the players. Telling Cabaye to play further up the pitch for instance would probably create more problems than it would solve.

A big reason for the midfield being too far from the forwards is the players. Telling Cabaye to play further up the pitch for instance would probably create more problems than it would solve.

I'm not talking about behind the behind the striker "up the pitch" but the team is a whole is too open and not compact enough to defend and attack as a team properly.

You watch most of the successful teams in this league the space between their defence, midfield and forwards is a lot smaller than ours thus allowing them to defend in numbers when necessary and get forward with numbers when they win the ball without sacrificing their defensive structure.

This is a major problem to me, we do need more players it goes without saying but unless these things are rectified it won't do much good.

Cabaye does well when he gets further up the pitch.

Guest Howaythetoon

There is no way Ashley would get rid of Carr, he's worth too much to him in terms of finding talent at a pittance.

Guest Lalasialex

I'm not talking about behind the behind the striker "up the pitch" but the team is a whole is too open and not compact enough to defend and attack as a team properly.

You watch most of the successful teams in this league the space between their defence, midfield and forwards is a lot smaller than ours thus allowing them to defend in numbers when necessary and get forward with numbers when they win the ball without sacrificing their defensive structure.

This is a major problem to me, we do need more players it goes without saying but unless these things are rectified it won't do much good.

And then we need to push the defence higher up the pitch! And if we loose the ball we can win it back in the final third... But not compact enough means big trouble both offensive and when we loose the ball... But AP doesn't see that...

Cabaye feels the need to do the work of other players who aren't pulling their weight but hasn't got the mobility to feel omnipresent. You either partner him with a midfielder who works very hard so he feels he can push on or you play a proper midfield 3 and make sure the work is spread out more evenly. I don't mind him filling the deep lying playmaker role such as Pirlo but do mind him effectively doing Tiote's job.