Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Antec

Can we not just plant some cocaine on Smith and Xisco, and then sack them both? Problem solved. I'll call Derek and tell him about it.

Getting shot of those two would be fantastic whichever way it happened

Who complained btw?

The complaint seems to be that this is just propaganda on the part of the club to fool the fans into thinking that something positive is going to happen.

I can't see that there's anything in Carr's statement to warrant that conclusion. He's not promising the earth. He's outlining the club's recruitment strategy and it all seemed realistic and sensible. The cynicism just strikes me as a knee-jerk reaction.

On a related subject, in terms of the club's long-term financial strategy, the club have been quite open about it. (ie the statement about breaking even by a certain year) We've had more information than many other clubs give on that subject. Yet people still complain that the club won't communicate.

Whingeing can become a habit.

Ah, so you're referring to my suggestion then. It was only my opinion on the question binnsy asked, and I didn't actually mention that I thought it a negative thing. The club want everyone to believe that they know what they're doing, why wouldn't they? Everyone is aware Man Utd etc know what they're doing through their success. Our owners have understandably got a lot of outstanding cynicism and they want the fans (amongst others) to know they're going to use the Carroll money wisely. Tiote has been a huge success so it's completely fair that they want to point to that as proof of their policies being correct, including the ability of the scout that apparently spotted him.

I can't see where I made this out to be a negative. If anything you're the one reading into my post wrongly and assuming I'm complaining. I never mentioned propaganda, never said he was promising the earth and never complained about communication. If you look at the first post I made in this thread you'll find I enjoyed the interview and wasn't negative about it in the slightest. You're whinging about my 'whinging'. :lol:

Who complained btw?

The complaint seems to be that this is just propaganda on the part of the club to fool the fans into thinking that something positive is going to happen.

I can't see that there's anything in Carr's statement to warrant that conclusion. He's not promising the earth. He's outlining the club's recruitment strategy and it all seemed realistic and sensible. The cynicism just strikes me as a knee-jerk reaction.

On a related subject, in terms of the club's long-term financial strategy, the club have been quite open about it. (ie the statement about breaking even by a certain year) We've had more information than many other clubs give on that subject. Yet people still complain that the club won't communicate.

Ah, so you're referring to my suggestion then. It was only my opinion on the question binnsy asked, and I didn't actually mention that I thought it a negative thing. The club want everyone to believe that they know what they're doing, why wouldn't they? Everyone is aware Man Utd etc know what they're doing through their success. Our owners have understandably got a lot of outstanding cynicism and they want the fans (amongst others) to know they're going to use the Carroll money wisely. Tiote has been a huge success so it's completely fair that they want to point to that as proof of their policies being correct, including the ability of the scout that apparently spotted him.

I can't see where I made this out to be a negative. If anything you're the one reading into my post wrongly and assuming I'm complaining. I never mentioned propaganda, never said he was promising the earth and never complained about communication. If you look at the first post I made in this thread you'll find I enjoyed the interview and wasn't negative about it in the slightest. You're whinging about my 'whinging'. :lol:

An ambiguous opinion?

Crikey, hard hitting stuff!  :thup:

Who complained btw?

I can't see where I made this out to be a negative. If anything you're the one reading into my post wrongly and assuming I'm complaining. I never mentioned propaganda, never said he was promising the earth and never complained about communication.

If you look at the first post I made in this thread you'll find I enjoyed the interview and wasn't negative about it in the slightest. You're whinging about my 'whinging'. :lol:

I wasn't directing my comment at you exclusively, Dave. Yours wasn't the only comment that seemed over sceptical.

You said that the club were taking advantage of Tiote's popularity to 'try to claim that they know what they are doing'. I think I can be forgiven for hearing that as sarcastic, especially given that you are not one of Ashley's biggest fans.

Maybe I was a bit jumpy here. Often statements from the club get treated on this board with scepticism bordering on paranoia, whereas statements from Keegan or Shearer are regarded as unquestionable, given how much they lurve the club.

Fair enough. :thup:

As mentioned, I thought it was a cracking read - the guy clearly relishes doing his job and despite how cynical I am about Ashley and his intentions, the thought of getting some talent in to add to what I believe is a really promising basis of a team still excites me. There's no point following this club if you're not deluded in some way because all it ever does is let us down. :lol:

Obviously I'm of the opinion that that basis was stronger when Carroll was part of it and if Enrique goes then that's another major blow, but if the money is spent and spent well then we can still move forward.

Getting paid, to travel around the world expense free and watch football.

I'm struggling to think of a drawback.

Pardew's back at home shagging his wife.

With those European hookers on the club account who'd give a fuck.

Not seeing friends or family very often? Hours and hours on planes/trains etc..

I think on the face of it, it looks like the perfect job but you factor in those things and I bet it's nowhere near as good as you would think.

I think on the face of it, it looks like the perfect job but you factor in those things and I bet it's nowhere near as good as you would think.

Bet he spends less time at work inc travel than you do. If he's based in London or even abroad (a decent chance) its 2/3 hours direct to most places he'd be going max.

1. I like travelling

2. I like football

3. I like getting paid

=

happy

A mate of my Dad actually does some scouting for Birmingham. Mostly domestic stuff, the odd foreign game.

Says he loves it, but he only does it part time and doesn't get paid beyond his expenses. He has to write out reports on players and stuff, and if he's doing a match/team report he has to write out the intricate details of the game which is tiresome.

Bet he spends less time at work inc travel than you do. If he's based in London or even abroad (a decent chance) its 2/3 hours direct to most places he'd be going max.

I bet he spends more time travelling and less time exploring these places than people think. I doubt he flies out to Holland, spends a few hours shopping, get's the game in, nice restaurant/evening out then comes back the next day to say "Quick striker, good feet, could potentially be a good signing" etc..  :laugh:

Then I would imagine a lot of domestic work, travelling down to Stoke or wherever which wouldn't be my idea of fun.

I mean, it would obviously have it's pluses I just think it wouldn't be the dream job most think (ie living it up around Europe and getting great seats to any game you fancy).

If it's 2/3 hours to get to somewhere in he will have to do that back, so you are already looking at 5/6 hours before he has done anything.