Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

Chatty Man's dad this week will be in Europe taking in Leverkusen v Genk on Weds & Standard Liege v Copenhagen on Thurs, but no names revealed.  I guess Barnetta is the obvious one for Weds tho.

Source.

Lad who has a weekly coffee and chat with him.

I'm pretty sure that Barnetta is injured for this half of the season, so no way.

Shall we not give it another 3-4 months to see how we get on? Its still very earl days.

Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, Ben-Arfa, Santone, Abeid.....

Havent these all arrived under his watch and probably a few others who slip my mind?

what are we actually saying about these signings? 

french league winning captain

well known french ligue 1 winger bound for liverpool

5 times (?) ligue 1 winner and all round famous frenchie ex-wonderkid

italian u21 international and 'new maldini'

as much as carr, unless it falls under his remit, the people who are sniffing out the deals and finalising them deserve massive amounts of credit imo

Exactly.

True, but who are we talking here, Llambias? Charnley? Are there others who actually do most of the spadework?

Either way, top stuff on the recruitment side, staff as well as the players tbh.

Shame they fucked up so royally when it came to the task of getting a goddamn striker in.

If we’ve still got a problem in the striking department, it doesn’t seem to be a big one.

It’s unfortunate that this search for another striker got held up as the deal breaker for whether the transfer window was a failure or not. It now remains to be seen whether Ashley / Llambias were right in sticking to their guns and not over-paying for someone who wasn’t going to improve us by very much. If we’re still in the top six by January, we might well be able to attract a better striker than was possible in August.

Guest WashyGeordie

Shall we not give it another 3-4 months to see how we get on? Its still very earl days.

Havent these all arrived under his watch and probably a few others who slip my mind?

as much as carr, unless it falls under his remit, the people who are sniffing out the deals and finalising them deserve massive amounts of credit imo

Exactly.

True, but who are we talking here, Llambias? Charnley? Are there others who actually do most of the spadework?

Either way, top stuff on the recruitment side, staff as well as the players tbh.

Shame they f***ed up so royally when it came to the task of getting a goddamn striker in.

If we’ve still got a problem in the striking department, it doesn’t seem to be a big one.

It’s unfortunate that this search for another striker got held up as the deal breaker for whether the transfer window was a failure or not. It now remains to be seen whether Ashley / Llambias were right in sticking to their guns and not over-paying for someone who wasn’t going to improve us by very much. If we’re still in the top six by January, we might well be able to attract a better striker than was possible in August.

Yup. That Bryan Ruiz really doesn't look very good, or atleast definately doesn't look like a £10million striker.

I know it's still early days though.

Chatty Man's dad this week will be in Europe taking in Leverkusen v Genk on Weds & Standard Liege v Copenhagen on Thurs, but no names revealed.  I guess Barnetta is the obvious one for Weds tho.

Source.

Lad who has a weekly coffee and chat with him.

I'm pretty sure that Barnetta is injured for this half of the season, so no way.

He doesn't mention names.

Barnetta was just me and mates speculating as to who may be playing in those games.

Exactly.

Shame they fucked up so royally when it came to the task of getting a goddamn striker in.

Oh, I agree, maybe too much was made of it, and I'm not against holding out if there all we were left with was last minute deals that were barely upgrades. But they made a rod for their own back and it's an absolute joke that after 7 months we still started the season with the number 9 shirt stuck in a cupboard somewhere.

Mathias is out for a couple of months with a knee injury, so can't be him. He's not good enough anyways..

You're Danish? That's what I usual hear from you guys, so guess it may be the case. Anyone who is, from FCK?

Yeah I'm Danish. He can improve of course as he is still young , but he makes too many mistakes for my liking, often because of lack of concentration. He was made captain before this season, no one understands why :)

I can't really see who it should be from FCK at the moment. If we buy someone from Denmark, I would expect it to be someone young (like Mathias). But to make the step up to the PL, I think they need to really standout from a young age, none of the younger players from FCK does that at the moment IMO. They have some good players (for the level), but I think most of them are too old to adapt. 'Superligaen' is very very slow compared to the PL.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/oct/08/newcastle-united-french-scouting-policy

Newcastle United's French scouting policy is no laughing matter

When Newcastle appointed the dad of a well-known comedian as chief scout it must have looked like another joke on Tyneside. Instead Graham Carr, father of Alan, has surpassed even Arsène Wenger in his knowledge of emerging French talent and has inspired the recovery at St James' Park.

Newcastle, fourth in the Premier League table and unbeaten in nine games in all competitions, are in danger of giving prudence a good name. So addled by salary inflation is the English game these days that voluntary wage caps are seen as an act of self-immolation. Sick of funnelling money to big names, the owner, Mike Ashley, turned away from Dennis Wise in matters of recruitment and towards a Geordie obsessive whose 49 years in the game include stops at Tonbridge, Dartford and Bradford Park Avenue.

Alan Carr jokes that when he told his dad he would not be joining him in football and would instead be heading for the stage he offered to explain through "expressive dance". With the family tradition broken (Graham's father played for Newcastle), the chief scout headed back to Europe, where he has recruited seven French players, among them the creative midfielder Yohan Cabaye and 19-year-old Mehdi Abeid.

Graham Carr worked for David Pleat at Spurs and scouted for Sven-Goran Eriksson before coming home to end the club's Wise years in February 2010. Ashley has tried many a punt in his time as Newcastle owner, from bringing back Kevin Keegan to hiring Alan Shearer for eight games to overloading the place with advisers with brackets after their titles to renaming the stadium after a website to clearing out Andy Carroll, Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton and José Enrique.

Those evictions were expected to bring the death agony of Ashley's reign, with Newcastle sliding back to the Championship while the £35m earned from Carroll's sale to Liverpool remained unspent. A maximum wage of £45,000 a week or thereabouts was greeted as an admission of defeat by a self-made man who had been stripped of his reputation for shrewdness in the piranha pool of football finance.

From fourth spot, Newcastle now look down on Liverpool as well as Spurs, the visitors to St James' next Sunday. To proclaim wins over Sunderland, Fulham, Blackburn and Wolves as a return to the David Ginola-Andy Cole-Peter Beardsley era would be stupidly premature. Adversity will strike Alan Pardew's side at some stage in this season and then we will assess their true calibre.

For now, though, they are entitled to slide off the hook of ridicule that has held them through Ashley's many experiments. In defending their club against "southern" critics some Newcastle fans have acquired quite a persecution complex. They assume all scrutiny is hostile when much of it is directed at mismanagement from above rather than the team or the congregation.

Over many months now a fresh breeze has blown in with Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa (back from serious injury), Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, Chiek Tioté, Abeid and Demba Ba, the Senegal striker who was born in the Paris suburb of Sèvres. Leon Best also continues to improve in a squad where Fabricio Coloccini and Alan Smith are the last of the big-earners from the money-spraying years.

The goalkeeper Tim Krul says "everyone is fighting for each other" — a nice change from the time when everyone was merely fighting each other. He cites Pardew's policy of tightening the back of the side as the catalyst. But basic coaching falls apart in the end without a sufficient quality of incoming player.

This is where Carr comes in. "We won't just watch a player once. With someone like Cheik, it was the result of four years watching him," he said in a rare interview. "I'd first seen him playing for Roda against Arsenal in 2006 — they were hammered 4-0 I think, but you could tell he was going to be a good player. He never stopped running.

"So you keep an eye on him and track his progress, which is where we are with plenty of other players. People will all look at Arsène Wenger and say he's got the French market covered, but we've got a good handle on it, believe me. The same is true of other countries too. The key is to react quickly – that is what will get us our targets. That and the fact that Newcastle United is a big, big draw overseas."

In a world where scouting and recruitment have become highly corporate and legalistic endeavours there is something reassuring about Alan Carr's journeyman player of a dad delivering to the tortured Ashley the solution he was groping for and failed to locate in what you might call the Xisco years. "Being a Geordie and having supported Newcastle gives me a bit of an advantage, I think," Carr told the local Sunday Sun. "You look at some players who are talented, but you just have to say: 'They're not a Newcastle United player.'"

Poor Wenger: even his title of French oracle is under threat. But having found them, Newcastle will now have to keep them, and somehow square that need with wage constraints.

Money for old rope.

What?

As I understand that expression, 'Money for old rope', it means you are paying for something already used, an implication that it is really worthless.

So how does that relate to the posted article?

Finally, when was the last time you posted something positive? The majority of your posts these days are blunt, sarcastic or just plain negative. Many of which, like the above, are close to beyond comprehension yet you can be so quick to denigrate others, (much like I'm now doing to you for my shame), what happened to you?

Do you think maybe you've been around this place too long?

Interestingly: Money for old rope

This saying originates from the days of public hangings. It was a perquisite of the hangman to keep the rope used to hang his 'customer'. The rope, however, was popular with the macabre crowds, so the hangman used to cut the rope up and sell it. 

I think he means its yet another story on information that has been bled dry

Oh probably. I've had this before with Dave.

I just wish he was more verbose sometimes. Hence my comment re him being here too long.. he thinks everyone will understand his little quips when in reality they need a lot more substance to be appreciated.

Either way it's just refreshing to read positive articles about our beloved club.

Yep, loving it. There was a link Sewelly? posted in NWOAT, I think it was, where there were three of our players in a best players of the new season or some such thing. :thup:

edit - Here you go...

i'd imagine Dave is talking about the fact the article is just recycled from an interview published months ago in the sunday sun. hence the expression "money for old rope."

or maybe that's too sensible a conclusion. let's tell dave he's been here too long instead.

FAIL.