Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

His job description is clearly to offer players a springboard to bigger and better things. Luckily for Ashley that should see a short to medium term profit on each decent 'find'

I hope he's worked himself a 'sell-on' bonus an any player he recommends and is purchased.

Crumpy Grunt in parody of himself shocker

I'd rather think I'd said as I see it. You think Ashley wouldn't sell his own Mother if a profit wasn't to be made? For those happy to renew and buy into Asleys vision should shut the f*** up when any player with talent that should be nurtured by NUFC is then sold. Ashleys made no secret whatsoever that his intention is 'buy cheap / sell for profit'

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we've just witnessed the Cristo Redemtor of straw men.

Interesting interview. I've been told by knowledgeable posters on this forum that Tiote was a Keegan/Hughton find and Carr had nothing to do with the transfer. Carr clearly thinks otherwise.... 

There are direct quotes from Hughton indicating otherwise.

It all depends on who you wish to believe...

there is a good chance both watched him, Carr wasn't involved with Newcastle at the time was he?

One thing is for certain: Carr's memory of the matter is faulty. This is what he says:

“And we won’t just watch a player once. With someone like Cheick, it was the result of four years watching him. I’d first seen him playing for Roda against Arsenal in 2006 – they were hammered 4-0 I think, but you could tell he was going to be a good player. He never stopped running.

“So you keep an eye on him and track his progress, which is where we are with plenty of other players.

Tiote was not even at Roda in 2006, but was there for the 2007/2008 season on loan from Anderlecht. Roda did not play Arsenal in 2006; in fact the last time they qualified for Europe was 2004.

Tiote played Arsenal with Twente in 2008 in the preliminary rounds of the Champions League that season. Twente lost 2-0 at home and 4-0 away. This must be the match he is referring to, but that match is a good 2 years later than he claims..

:lol:

Interesting interview. I've been told by knowledgeable posters on this forum that Tiote was a Keegan/Hughton find and Carr had nothing to do with the transfer. Carr clearly thinks otherwise....  

there is a good chance both watched him, Carr wasn't involved with Newcastle at the time was he?

One thing is for certain: Carr's memory of the matter is faulty. This is what he says:

“And we won’t just watch a player once. With someone like Cheick, it was the result of four years watching him. I’d first seen him playing for Roda against Arsenal in 2006 – they were hammered 4-0 I think, but you could tell he was going to be a good player. He never stopped running.

“So you keep an eye on him and track his progress, which is where we are with plenty of other players.

Tiote was not even at Roda in 2006, but was there for the 2007/2008 season on loan from Anderlecht. Roda did not play Arsenal in 2006; in fact the last time they qualified for Europe was 2004.

Tiote played Arsenal with Twente in 2008 in the preliminary rounds of the Champions League that season. Twente lost 2-0 at home and 4-0 away. This must be the match he is referring to, but that match is a good 2 years later than he claims..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyMB19q7ms

Can't believe a 66 year old man got the name of a team and a date wrong like, I'm fucking astonished.

Stu.  :smitten:

:whatdidido:

While i agree that its a decent interview and interestin reading i'm slightly puzzled why our chief scout is giving interviews to newspapers.  I can't imagine Man U, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs or indeed any PL clubs scout doing interviews.

While i agree that its a decent interview and interestin reading i'm slightly puzzled why our chief scout is giving interviews to newspapers.  I can't imagine Man U, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs or indeed any PL clubs scout doing interviews.

Probably all based around Tiote's popularity. It's the club using that to try and claim they know what they're doing.

What does it matter? Do we always have to follow what Spurs or Man U do?

The club has been accused of not communicating so they hired a rent-a-gob manager and are giving us interviews with key staff. Tis all good ;)

Apparently the only reason why Graham Carr told NUFC to buy Ben Arfa and Tiote is because Alan Carr said they both had something special in their front pocket that they could whip out.

That was funny.

Apparently the only reason why Graham Carr told NUFC to buy Ben Arfa and Tiote is because Alan Carr said they both had something special in their front pocket that they could whip out.

That was funny.

It was bizarre.

Probably all based around Tiote's popularity. It's the club using that to try and claim they know what they're doing.

Spinning almost all events even positive ones to make it sound like the club has some sort of massive Madoff scheme to trick us all is getting tiring honestly and does you no credit at all.

Guest Antec

A frequent criticism of the club is that it doesn't communicate with the fans. So why complain when they do?

The phrase 'too little, too late' comes to mind. The club have already shown their true colours when it comes to communicating with the fans, why should anyone believe them this time

Who complained btw?

The complaint seems to be that this is just propaganda on the part of the club to fool the fans into thinking that something positive is going to happen.

I can't see that there's anything in Carr's statement to warrant that conclusion. He's not promising the earth. He's outlining the club's recruitment strategy and it all seemed realistic and sensible. The cynicism just strikes me as a knee-jerk reaction.

On a related subject, in terms of the club's long-term financial strategy, the club have been quite open about it. (ie the statement about breaking even by a certain year) We've had more information than many other clubs give on that subject. Yet people still complain that the club won't communicate.

Whingeing can become a habit.

Guest Antec

Who complained btw?

Does bitching make it more accurate?

Have you figured out how we're going to improve the squad without increasing the wage bill yet? Once again, take your time

Who complained btw?

Have you figured out how we're going to improve the squad without increasing the wage bill yet? Once again, take your time

and where are you getting this information that we can't/won't increase our wage bill...not like we just agreed significantly higher wages for Tiote!  :idiot2:

Guest Antec

Who complained btw?

and where are you getting this information that we can't/won't increase our wage bill...not like we just agreed significantly higher wages for Tiote!  :idiot2:

From another thread

It would appear that people are STILL unaware of what exactly Pardew is here to do

Once again I quote Golfmag, who'd heard about Pardew becoming manager long before anyone else and posted this on here

A very specific part of Pardew's written remit is to reduce costs and the debt, to make it easier for MA to sell the club. Look at everything he says in this context..

In all of this guys, don't forget (I almost had) that our info was that Pardew was given the very specific responsibility of reducing the wage bill as a condition of his employment, as MA feels that a lower cost base will now make the club easier to sell.

So unless we get relegated, his job is safe, anything from 17th upwards will suffice

It also begs the question, unless high earners like Xisco and Smith are moved on, how on earth are we going to reduce the wage bill? That's why I always thought that selling Carroll was a terrible idea unless he was on 300k a week or the 4 or 5 players coming in are going to play for nothing

Happy to help

Who complained btw?

Bump off Alan Smith?